Airfix 1/72 Sea King / Revell Roxter fusion

I found these in Argos 2 for £15

Screenshot_20210224-075331_Gallery

And they have some good parts...90mah lipo, 2 motors and an IR system

Screenshot_20210224-075332_Gallery

Screenshot_20210224-075334_Gallery

So I fixed it with a previously started sea king. 

It was only a test build to test the concept so a rushed (very bad) paint job.  I hate the gloss yellow as well..... so hard to use. 

But it works...

Screenshot_20210224-075323_Gallery Screenshot_20210224-075325_Gallery

Screenshot_20210224-075327_Gallery

The module of course needed resoldering and rejigging with addition of longer wires and a transistor to allow tall light to flash. 

The tail rotor I used a 4x8mm motor instead (taken from old mobile phone - the vibrating motor) and needs putty to reshape the tail but allows a tail rotor action.  

The IR receiver is in the cockpit and sits neatly in the cockpit panel. 

Thankfully only a test build as now I know the mistakes eg poor placement of switch and charger

Screenshot_20210224-075329_Gallery

The switch is under the white rails so hard to use and the USB charge position is awkward.

Will go for the easier colours of the other airfix sea king next time. At £7.50 each for those revell helicopters they are a cheap source of gadgetry!

• Like 31

7 hours ago, chrisbob12 said:

Neat bit of repurposing! How did you get the tail rotor to work? Enquiring minds want to know!

Mobile phones have really tiny motors that they use as a vibrating motor.  The hard bit is removing the weight on the shaft but can be done neatly by crushing with a pair of vice grips. 

The actual placement of the motor requires cutting the existing position of where the rotor sits, and placing the motor then rebuilding the 'shape' with either filler or putty. Then all needs to be done is wire down to the main module.  The tail led is placed simply by cutting a space at the top.  Flashing is possible by using a flashing transistor (which also controls the flashing led on the lower surface led).

• Like 3

8 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

How did you hide a motor in the tail rotor?

Very small motor 4x8mm. You have to essentially carve out plastic to fit motor and remould (with putty) the original shape

On 3/1/2021 at 8:17 AM, DocJonno said:

Very small motor 4x8mm. You have to essentially carve out plastic to fit motor and remould (with putty) the original shape

i thought so, I saw one of those somewhere.

• Like 1

There were a few questions around tail rotor. I've started another sea king so here's what I've done with tail rotor

20210307_084237 20210307_084244

I've used milliput to build the shape after aralditing the motor in place. 

Will of course sand down when ready.