Flying Telescope B747SP

sloegin57

Not sure where to put this as I cannot find the "whats flying over your house" bit.

Just gone over my place.  came up from the south (Spain), circled Glasgow and then straight back to Germany - a Flying Telescope !  Interupted my scanning F-104G's and F-4C's at George in '77.

I'll not sleep now - wonder what it was looking at :-

spacer.png

Dennis 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Peter Rozendal said:

See here for the current flying schedule:

https://www.sofia.usra.edu/science/proposing-and-observing/flights/series/oc8h

Peter

That information is very very useful Peter - Thank you.

12 minutes ago, stringbag said:

Currently at 43,000 over northern France.  Callsign NASA747

Yeah - I have following it on and off most of the evening - fascinating and intriguing aircraft, is there a kit of it anywhere ?

Dennis 

There are kits of the original B747SP from Welsh Models (Vacform)  AuthenticAirliners (Resin) and Eastern Express (injection moulded)  All will need the telescope door and other mods to produce the Nasa version.  Others more informed that myself will be along shortly.  👍

I'm planning to build N747NA in the upcoming Anything But Injection group build. I'm using the Welsh Models kit and going for an open door with the telescope visible, so I'll probably be displaying it in flight. The telescope and door will be 3D-printed - I've got a lot of the basic design done and done a test print, some modifications to the design needed but I'm quietly confident that it's going to work. If I was building it with the door closed I'd probably just do it with plastic card and milliput.

There are decals for it - have a look here