German WW2 Kriegslok Locomotive 1/35

On 18/03/2021 at 18:28, Pig of the Week said:

Easy fellas, you're going to say "he's gone mad and is making his loco out of bog roll now.."  

And that cardboard tube has a spiral on it, remember, things spiral... ;)

Looking forward to seeing how you tackle this, should be interesting, will look pretty cool in metal,...shiny shiny

Matt

• Like 1

On 19/03/2021 at 02:28, Pig of the Week said:

Easy fellas, you're going to say "he's gone mad and is making his loco out of bog roll now.."  

well, only to a degree..I'm using the card tube, suitably reduced in dia. as a firm skeleton which will be clad in thin sheet metal, in a similar way to a real boiler and it's cladding, then have all the other gubbins attached to that etc etc....any seams will be underneath and not visible, I'm debating whether to make a smokebox too, as I can see the ghost of a kit joint seam on top, even after all that filling and sanding. ( if there were a shaking head emo thing, it'd be placed here )

my LZ detail stuff arrived without any post brexit malarkey too, which was nice !

spacer.pngspacer.png

Watching with great interest.

I really like the idea of cladding with metal but will the cardboard roll be resilient enough as a base?

It might well prove strong enough but I think I would have looked for some doweling or plumbing pipe of the right diameter, or - if you have a lathe - woodturn something. Alternatively why not just clad the kit parts?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Watching with great interest.

I really like the idea of cladding with metal but will the cardboard roll be resilient enough as a base?

It might well prove strong enough but I think I would have looked for some doweling or plumbing pipe of the right diameter, or - if you have a lathe - woodturn something. Alternatively why not just clad the kit parts?

You raise some good points there Steve...The card roll is in fact very stiff indeed, it was a posting/mailing tube, it's only the base layer to fix on to anyway and will be slathered with adhesives etc for the next layer. It was also easily made into an ideal snug fit for the internal dia. of the kit parts I retained (as seen in the pics)

I already looked far and wide at all manner of tubing and couldn't find anything ( various metals plastics etc) of the right diameter or that I thought was otherwise viable.

( I don't have the kit to turn 2" dia lumps of wood unfortunately ! )

Coming fairly close to what I needed size wise was hairspray or Mr sheen cans, I actually cut the ends off a couple of these and will likely use the metal for the cladding.

( " Have you seen my hairspray ?".." Err no dear you must have used it all up..! " )

..it's nice and thin, already in a tube-like curve, has good rigidity, and easy enough to cut.

I wasn't going to clad the kit parts as this would increase the diameter of the boiler too much...unlike foiling a plane for instance which only adds a tiny fraction of a mm. The point of the exercise naturally being to replace the dodgy seam joined kit bits with a decent seamless tube ( along the top at least !)

I can, after establishing the new tube, add boiler bands in strips of the same gauge material, again these will be more in true scale, as the kit mouldings are pretty oversize if you look at / measure them !

All the above a bit of a pain certainly...but, as I've already gone "down the rabbit hole " with this kit...... :)

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Mick4350 said:

I've the 1/72 version from Hobby boss. Looks interesting.

Just checked them out, looks like a really good model.... tbh it's probably a better actual kit than this thing I'm butchering !

At that size you've got more scope to build up some decent trains, pretty much fits in with 00 gauge I guess ?

If I might indulge in some shameless self-promotion. Since you are building a steam locomotive you might want to have a look at the ‘Hogwarts Express’ that my daughter and I are building over on the Civilian Vehicles page.

• Like 1

On 18/03/2021 at 18:28, Pig of the Week said:

I thought for a minute this was going to be a homage to Bluepeter ...."and here's one we made earlier" .....to be honest Mr pigglesworth i thought this would be done by now....you really are slackin off aren't you......now stop havin wet dreams about 16th scale Tigers and get your finger out....this won't do at all :D

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

I thought for a minute this was going to be a homage to Bluepeter ...."and here's one we made earlier" .....to be honest Mr pigglesworth i thought this would be done by now....you really are slackin off aren't you......now stop havin wet dreams about 16th scale Tigers and get your finger out....this won't do at all :D

Ha ha tell him Steve 🤣...he's wandered into the Tigers cage and now he's been bitten....brilliant ooh my sides are aching 😂😂😂👍

• Haha 2

On 3/13/2021 at 11:10 AM, Pig of the Week said:

The slight snag with the dissolved sprue filler is that it takes a long time to harden fully I've found...

Guy at the model club (going back a bit now) did a demo with talcum powder + super glue, don’t use anything else now

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Easy tiger..I'm off to Woolworth's in the morning for some sticky back plastic...  :)

• Haha 3

I felt the need to do a trial dry fit of the cab parts to see if they fit together squarely ( or at all !) 

oddly enough it did kind of fit together ok, aided by sellotape ...Mr Pigg please note, I'll save the sticky back plastic for a later date ( with Valerie Singleton ) after some slight butchering of parts, naturally, and gluing a block of wood inside the boiler back head "control panel " which was splayed apart at the edges a bit...   If I was reviewing this kit I'd give it 3 out of 10 for fit and finish of parts frankly.

I've carved all the dodgy detail off the above panel ready for various aftermarket detail bits.

I also for a lark, (and the sake of morale) balanced the whole thing thus far together, on me bog roll tube, for the full Blue Peter !

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 3