German WW2 Kriegslok Locomotive 1/35

Done some more assembly of the "chassis", the various support plates needed ejector holes filling and lots of sanding, primer, sanding over and over again!

the buffer bar needed re shaping to look like a channel with radiused corners, as per the real loco, all the rivet and such detail was lost in this, it was wrong anyway so no tragedy.

when fitting the plates to the frame, again much hand fitting and filing, plus setting them square in the frame...I hate to think what a twisted effort this kit would make if you just glued it up OOB !

I also drilled thru the axle tubes so as to use proper axles, rather than stick the wheels onto the little nibs, as the kit would have you do. doing the solid thru axles should give more chance of the wheels, and hence the loco, sitting square and level.. ( I hope ! )

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 6

Yep, its all part of the  fun..there's a lot of mucking about required, & it certainly gives the impression of doing an "engineering" job on it !

I knew from the outset the kit requires a lot of extra work, having read a few build logs that others had done, so I knew what I was getting into :)

• Like 1

Definately yes!.... though some elements of the kit are a tad annoying to say the least !

You have to spend a lot of time doing remedial work, that you'd rather spend on more interesting parts of the build.

..but it is what it is...from what I've seen these can make an epic model, and I'll endeavour to do it some justice !

• Like 1

Hey, Pig? What do we call you anyway?

I just did a big catchup and you seem to be sorting this thing out with lots of help from the crowd.

I too thought of @bangle's build but couldn't remember her name. Most of the kit got replaced anyway IIRC.

I don't remember ever seeing it finished though.

• Like 1

Also a Pete !

Yep it's an ongoing sort out, it won't be a quickie for sure..

I read all thru the bangle build, she made some super tiny bits of extra detail, interesting and informative...unfortunately the build stalled a couple of times from what I could tell, and we never saw a finished item, perhaps it's on hold and she will return to it in future?

Currently still on filling and sanding ejct.pin marks, mould seams etc, at least the chassis section is coming together and will have to think about shoving some paint in the remote corners while it's vaguely accessible!

• Like 1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lokomotivfabrik_Floridsdorf

The tender was commonly a Wannentender 2´2´T30. The construction of the tender was outsourced from the WLF.

Mainly in Wiener Neustadt they were produced.

Many or most people of the labor force were of foreign origin or they belonged to concentration camps.

The straight sided tender stopped production in the mid-war time.

Happy modelling

• Like 2

Interesting, thanks for the link, I was aware of the Austrian connection, ( but not in any detail )  the wiki article fills it out nicely, and I'll do a bit more research out of interest now I know a bit more about the factory !

Many of the German industries used foreign labour ( and prisoners regrettably of course)

I've seen the "bathtub" tender was available as an aftermarket kit as an alternative to the straight sided one, though I'm not sure which model company made it, it may have been a resin kit ??

I'll stick with the straight one for now as I've seen WW2 footage ( the excellent Kriegslok propaganda film) and WW2 period photos with this tender...although I'd perhaps be tempted if I saw one of the alternative Wannentender kits offered as a bargain !

More fun and games.. thought I'd try the dissolved sprue filler trick as I've not had great results with Humbrol filler or P38 on this kit.

there's ejector holes on virtually everything so gave the sprue filler lark a go on the underside of the drivers cab, worked quite well but I will need to be more generous and well over-fill next time as it shrunk back a little in drying. I like the method tho, as it's using the same plastic as the kit and won't fall out !

I ended up also, on the front chassis plates, having to carve off all the rivet detail in order to get the panel sanded flat after filling in the redundant "mud guard" slots. these will be replaced by PE parts that don't need the slots.

I've got some rivets and bolts on order from Historex, I have a card of Meng bolts, but I reckon the proper rivets will be nicer to install and look better.

I'll probably mass produce some sprue filler and hit a load of the ejector holes in a couple of sessions, it's a rotten job, but someone's got to do it ! 

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 6

The slight snag with the dissolved sprue filler is that it takes a long time to harden fully I've found...the stuff i did last night, using quite big overfilled blobs, really needs leaving longer to set properly solid.. Maybe doing it in thinner layers with drying time between is better.?

1 hour ago, Pig of the Week said:

Maybe doing it in thinner layers with drying time between is better.?

More than likely. Less can be more. Do you have a warm spot anywhere at home? Airing cupboard? 

I finally got around to watching the rest of that propaganda film about building the loco's. Fascinating stuff. Very labour intensive.

I only saw one pair of safety goggles! All that and some ratbag comes along in a Typhoon and fires cannon shells and rockets at you!

• Like 1

Yes the film is excellent, none of your old PPE safety nonsense there, just crack on with it !

It is tragic when you see pics of a lovely, probably nearly new loco that's been completely trashed, but that's war for you I guess....

The parts I filled were in fairly warm environment, tho I'd be wary of putting them anywhere too hot as I wouldn't want them to start curling up or anything !

I'll just have to use patience ( yeah right! ) and leave them a bit longer.

Historex are very swift & efficient btw, my tiny rivets and bolts etc arrived already !..virtually sent by return of post, so a highly recommended dealer there IMHO....I'll certainly be getting stuff off them again.

spacer.png

Edited by Pig of the Week
  • Like 2

On 13/03/2021 at 11:54, Pig of the Week said:

Historex are very swift & efficient btw, my tiny rivets and bolts etc arrived already

They are yes, they are very fast with delivery, I'm guessing that you are referring to the Masterclub resin bolts n rivets? Before Historex started selling them I had to buy them from ebay.

Matt

• Like 1

More "Malarkey" with this...when preparing to fit the rivets I noticed the very "front legs" end of the chassis had bowed severely inwards esp. on one side !..( It looked like it'd had a hefty front end shunt from the left 3/4 on in car terms ! )

the short version being I decided to ( inspired by the BR52 build log of Herr Blaubar on here ) remake the front side members from scratch thereby ensuring they're all square and at the same time correcting to a degree the rather 'wrong' shape that the kit offers here.

I will beef this structure up a bit, as did Blaubar, the real loco has cross members inside, unlike the kit...a useful by product of this will be I can do my riveting on the components first rather than wrangle with an increasingly fragile chassis with all its bits.

I'm currently making card templates to trial fit before chopping up evergreen styrene card...this thing will end up more of a "scratch assist" than a kit ! :)spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Pig of the Week
  • Like 8

51 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Is this the Bangle thread you were talking about earlier?

Matt

Yep that's the one, she made a lot of really nice scratch built detail bits for it, but she seems to have shelved or paused the build for quite some time, as no further posts for a fair while.

Easy fellas, you're going to say "he's gone mad and is making his loco out of bog roll now.."  

well, only to a degree..I'm using the card tube, suitably reduced in dia. as a firm skeleton which will be clad in thin sheet metal, in a similar way to a real boiler and it's cladding, then have all the other gubbins attached to that etc etc....any seams will be underneath and not visible, I'm debating whether to make a smokebox too, as I can see the ghost of a kit joint seam on top, even after all that filling and sanding. ( if there were a shaking head emo thing, it'd be placed here )

my LZ detail stuff arrived without any post brexit malarkey too, which was nice !

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 7