Builder Advice: 1/48 Westland Whirlwind

Tokyo Raider

Hey Guys...  I wanted to build one of my favorite airplanes the Whirlwind.  I have it in Trumpeter in 1/48.  I hear it has accuracy issues.  What do you do about the wing fuselage fillet?  Should I get a different kit?  What is the go to kit for a Whirlwind in 1/48?  With my luck, I will go thru the trouble and expense fixing a bad kit and then someone will release a good new kit of the same plane!  So for us to get a good Whirlwind kit, I have to build a hard one!  Thanks!

Bob

9 minutes ago, Tokyo Raider said:

What is the go to kit for a Whirlwind in 1/48?

Classic Airframe,  it's based on a vacform by Cooper Details IIRC, which was done Roy Sutherland.    The CA kit should be findable in the US,  certainly be easier than finding one in the UK

The Trumpeter kit is , erm , not very good.    I can't remember the full litany of errors.   

I'll @brewerjerry as this is his pet subject.   

HTH

Thanks Troy...  i am not skilled at vac form.  I do see the CA kit but it looks rough.  

I dont have issue with fixing the cockpit details on trumpeter kit.  I recall hearing about the wing fillet.

Hope to hear what needs fixing and maybe i can fix some of this on trumpeter

2 minutes ago, europapete said:

Or you may want to switch up scales and wait for the 1/32 one which is coming out soon. That will make all the other kits obsolete. Regards, Pete in RI

Pete...  who is doing the 1/32?  I will stick in 1/48, but maybe can wait for a downsize kit

The Trumpeter canopy was all wrong, as was the fuselage depth, and/or other equally major issues. It is one of those where either get the CA kit, borrow a few Trumpeter bits (easier props on Trumpeter, I would assume), or start from scratch!

Edited by WrathofAtlantis

Hi 

Yeah CA is the best bet, try to get the second issue.

there is also a 1:48 resin kit I have not sure who made it 

Best thing for the trumpeter kit to to 'what if'  it.  

I am going to modify mine with some merlin XX engine pods on it, and the other with radial engines 

Cheers 

Jerry 

14 hours ago, Tokyo Raider said:

Hey Guys...  I wanted to build one of my favorite airplanes the Whirlwind.  I have it in Trumpeter in 1/48.  I hear it has accuracy issues.  What do you do about the wing fuselage fillet?  Should I get a different kit?  What is the go to kit for a Whirlwind in 1/48?  With my luck, I will go thru the trouble and expense fixing a bad kit and then someone will release a good new kit of the same plane!  So for us to get a good Whirlwind kit, I have to build a hard one!  Thanks!

Bob

Bob,

The Trumpeter kit does have issues but on the plus side it does fit together well. If you are up for a bit of scratch building it can be made up into a pretty good representation. I certainly wouldn't avoid it. Good luck with it,

Cheers,

Roger

On 2/25/2021 at 12:55 AM, dragonlanceHR said:

Also done by Roy Sutherland IIRC

Done under the Cooper Details brand, his older company before becoming Barracuda. Roy also does wheels and a canopy for the reasonably good CA kit.

Cheers,

Pete M.

Edited by Pete M.
  • Like 1

I'm a huge fan of the Whirlwind but my scale is 1/32 however as no kits were available in 1/32 I dropped down a scale and built the CA kit and it is certainly buildable, if a mite challenging, As you may imagine I have an SH kit on order at Hannants

Trumpeter kits however are great, what they lack in correct detail they make up for in being well engineered and fun to build.

If accuracy is your main aim go for the CA kit

If you want a fun, well engineered build go for the Trumpeter kit

Cheers

Dennis