First big show after June 21st

1 hour ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Flu down to an all time low, on the edge of being erradicated from the UK - tick!

Bad Penny I'm afraid...............

8 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Bad Penny I'm afraid...............

Possibly.

But at the very worse, it will be starting from historic low levels next winter. When I last checked amazingly no one this 'season' had been hospitalised from flu.

Tommo.

3 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Flu down to an all time low, on the edge of being erradicated from the UK - tick!

It is the time of year when the conditions are right for the transmission of airborne infections like cold and flu. Mrs T says they hardly saw a case of flu this last winter in the practice and provided they can figure out what are likely to be the dominant strains and people get their flu jabs we can seriously reduce its incidence and as you say 'tick' 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

No surprises given the movement restrictions, PPE and hand washing etc.

I hope this whole period will have given people a greater awareness of infection control and how easily a disease spreads, but sadly I suspect people's insistence on going to work, attending appointments and visiting relatives in care homes and hospitals while dripping with flu will resume and flu season will be back to normal again soon.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Mrs T says they hardly saw a case of flu this last winter in the practice and provided they can figure out what are likely to be the dominant strains and people get their flu jabs we can seriously reduce its incidence and as you say 'tick' 

If I recall correctly, in the average flu season it affects 30 people per 100,000 this year its sub 5 per 100,000, with no hospitalisations.  One of the reasons is the far higher uptake in the flue jag as well as the other precautions mentioned up thread. If there is a silver lining to this wretched pandemic maybe its a realisation that a virus like flu can be brought right under strict control with very basic actions.

I'm talking about full blown flu, not a heavy cold that a lot pass off as flu - I had it once many Moons back and you would not wish it on ones worst enemy.

Tommo

Dead right about the flu. I had it years back and felt awful. I have my jab and it seems to help. Mrs T had said the restrictions even with no lockdowns will have cut transmission (more hand hygiene, less  contact, less use of cash) and extending the age range for the jab has helped. 

We seem to be wandering away from the core of the topic, although discuss of disease transmission has some relevance to shows. 

Sorry, but I reckon it'll won't be till Modelkraft in May 2022?

Edited by keithjs
spelling
  • Like 2
On 2/23/2021 at 3:51 PM, Scimitar F1 said:

It also means that Telford 21 is likely to happen.

I hope so! I'm booked in for accomodation ;)

I am sceptical that many shows will go ahead this year. I predicted this last year and I'm sticking to it until I see enough evidence that the virus is well under control, that venues are available and the very strict requirements for pre and post show deep cleaning are affordable for the average Model Club show to carry the cost of. There may be a clamour from some to get back to attending that kind event as soon as possible but I suspect there will be just as many who will not be in such a rush and that goes for Traders too.

I understand that Clubs will need to start planning now if they have any chance of putting on a show later in the year and I hope they are successful as that will mean the pandemic must be well under control. Personally, I don't see things returning to normal quite that quickly though, roll on 2022.

Duncan B

• Like 7

There has been some vague chat on Facebook about whether Glasgow will happen in October.

At the moment the organisers seem to be deferring a final decision until around May but there are all sorts of factors to be considered not least the availability of the venue and the willingness of traders to attend. I don't know if Bellahouston is being used for pandemic-related stuff but the Dewars Centre in Perth is currently a Community Vaccination Hub (I speak from personal experience!) and will presumably stay that way for as long as it takes.

It's a difficult shot to call but I tend to agree with @beefy66's comments about Telford and personally I'd rather wait until 2022 or an official declaration of the end of the pandemic whichever comes first.

Dave G

• Like 3
On 24/02/2021 at 10:49, Scimitar F1 said:

Is the Avon show going ahead in August?

It’s unlikely - we feel there will be too many restrictions in place to allow it to be an enjoyable experience for anyone.

On a personal note, I’m writing this year off (again) in terms of indoor shows but hope to get to a couple of car shows.

Nick

We are planning to hold the Chiltern Show on 12th September, which is our usual slot.  Hopefully by then as many folks as possible will have been vaccinated and infections will be well down before the autumn kicks in.  Fingers well and truly crossed.

We normally get about 25 clubs and a dozen traders.  Further info and contact details in a separate post.

Elwick

Edited by Elwick

I feel for the guys having to make the call on Telford. Last year was relatively simple as it was always a remote chance. Now, it’s maybe a 60/40 call on regulations, TIC has vaccine centre business, and even if it ran, turn out would surely be down. Oh, and EU traders had best set off in about a week and take a tent for the customs queue...

nope, don’t envy them making that call one little bit!

I really don't want to be Mr. Doom-And-Gloom here, but some folks are already predicting there will be a BIG spike in new COVID cases, in the Autumn/Winter. This is despite the fact that the great majority of UK adults will have had a vaccine-jab or two by that time. 

We'll just have to wait and see how things pan out. I'm really hoping that the above prediction proves to be wrong, but I would not put any money on things being even close to back to "normal" in that time-frame. 

Chris. 

Edited by spruecutter96
Correcting a typo.
  • 2 weeks later...

Well the branch returns have been put out and we have been asked to provide volunteers. Now there will always be be folk saving themselves up for the victory parade but I reckon with all jabs going on a smaller Scalemodel World my take place say 2 halls instead of 3.

Sorry to do this :badmood:for the second time on one of your posts Chris @spruecutter96 and I agree whole heartedly with what you say.

For those that haven't yet had their first innoculation or have had one and are awaiting their second or be of the select band of those that have had two,

sorry, but here's the cold water shower. If you've had 1, 2 or 65 doses of the vaccine, it is NOT a 'magic bullet'. You are NOT immune. You can STILL contract the virus.

You can STILL pass on the virus while showing no signs. The vaccine is limited in what it can and cannot do.

It WILL give your immune system a huge boost. It WILL lessen the virulence of the virus, should you be unlucky enough to contract it.

It WON'T make you into a 'Superman'. It WON'T bring back the old 'normality', that, I'm afraid, has gone for good. What we hope is the vaccine will bring in to play

a new normality that isn't too far removed from what we had up until September 2019?

What do I know? Me? not a lot. I do have two Daughters working in the NHS with covid positive patience daily and my Wife works in the care sector.

Don't take it from me, enough on here either work in the NHS or know someone who does, there are a few microbiologists around, these are the people on the front line,

ask them. You don't have to agree with me, but PLEASE, ask those that are fighting the battle and those that are in the know first.

Paul

• Like 2

^agreed Paul. Neighbour over the road works on the respiratory ward at Ipswich General. This area is largely Covid free, but then she says, the problem is Ipswich.

As was once said, Covid will thrive where the population is dense, and where the population is dense. Ipswich fits the bill in both areas.

Our club show was due to fall 2 days before the June 21 unlocking.  Instead we're planning a members only all day Club meeting a week later, subject to the rules and regs at the time.

We have expressed interest for two shows on the calendar this year. If Telford goes ahead, it's a bonus.

• Like 1

@bentwaters81tfw, hope your 'members only' ( 'ere should we be talking about such things on a family friendly site...?!) get together go's well, fingers crossed that the timetable rollout goes according to plan....

Speaking to my neighbour today. Ipswich is down to 18 cases in the respiratory ward. All other wards, previously full of Covid patients are now empty. Looks like the jab  is working.

3 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Speaking to my neighbour today. Ipswich is down to 18 cases in the respiratory ward. All other wards, previously full of Covid patients are now empty. Looks like the jab  is working.

Very good news. I can't believe that some folk are still reluctant to get a vaccine jab. I read an article recently that stated that during a real crisis, a percentage of the population would much rather bury their heads in the sand and ignore it, than actually do anything to about it. I'm sorry, but if you have that attitude, you automatically lose the right to complain when something nasty happens to you. 

Chris.  

2 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

if you have that attitude, you automatically lose the right to complain when something nasty happens to you. 

Agreed. Sadly though, they then expect the NHS to minister to them while slagging off the organisation for not giving them the vaccine. Forgetting, conveniently, they are then putting the carers lives at risk by their own stupidity. :crying: