Landing Craft Infantry (Large) 98

robgizlu

Hi Team

The Royal Navy took delivery of many LCI (L)s under lend lease

LCI L 98 ws delivered in Nov 1942.

There are good quality photos from IWM collections that are undated.

From 1943, most RN Landing craft were painted White background with B30 or G10 camouflage etc

LCI (L) 98

VARIOUS LANDING CRAFT.

LCI (L) 98

The scheme is clearly very worn and it seems that LCI 98 was converted to a landing Craft headquarters in early 1944

It seems unlikely that the RN would have repainted the delivery scheme from Nov 1942, meaning that she likely retains US "delivery" colours.

Does anyone have any idea as to what the most likely candidates are ?

Superstructure ?Light Grey

Hull - ?Ocean Grey

Black Cat Models look likely to be doing this - so this research is prior to a likely build

I'm grateful for any thoughts or insights.

The system of wartime USN paint colours seem even more bewildering than the RN schemes

Thanks in anticipation

Rob

• Like 1

Rob interesting project not an expert but Haze gray 5-H would be my thoughts very heavily worn

PM with some info hope it helps let me know if you need any more will check my reference books.

Hey listen to me i sound like I know what I am talking about for once.  :coolio:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Modelholic said:

Are those extra 20mm Oerlikon shields stacked amidships?

Looks like some ad-hoc armour arrangement.

Tom

Hi Tom 

Having done a bit of reading around these boats and having thought that they looked like chairs under high magnification - I think that they are in fact are the benches that the troops would have sat on on the inner deck.  I'm uncertain why they've been stored on the exterior like that.

4 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

@John @ WEM I think knows the answer to this. Was it 5-O John?

Thanks Jamie - I've done a bit of reading - Cor Flippin heck - US colours are a nightmare :yikes:

I'm happy that these are US colours

IMHO the lighter colour is Haze grey 1941 and the lower darker colour is either Ocean Grey 5-0 or possibly Sea Blue 5-N in line with a Measure scheme 22.

I read that there was no conformity in the colour of early "amphibious" craft, and it seems anything went initially.  The measure 22 scheme is a little bit too late possibly, as I reckon this ship would have been built early to mid 1942

My money's on Ocean Gray 5-0 which sadly is sold out at Sovereign currently :(

Rob

• Like 1