Hawk 200 cut 'n shut in 1/72

Wandering Minstrel

I'm building up to mating my Matchbox Hawk 200 with an Italeri Hawk 100 and a resin Sea Harrier radome to try and make something out of the mostly intact kit that's sat in a freezer bag in my desk drawer for a few years. Has anyone here attempted something similar and how did it go? I'll be building it as a what if IAC aircraft so absolute accuracy isn't my intention but I would like to finish with something that's recognisably a Hawk when sat next to one of its two seat bretheren. 

• Like 1

I'm no expert on this but since nobody else has replied....

I looked at this a few years ago but never got as far as cutting any plastic. My initial thought was the same as yours: mate the front half of the Matchbox Hawk 200 with the rear & wings of either an Airfix/ Italeri Hawk 100 & scratchbuild a radome from somewhere. However, the Matchbox kit is pretty poor:

- the forward fuselage doesn't bear much resemblence to even the prototypes (ZG & ZH200), let alone the production series aircraft, it's way too "pinched" looking

- the angle of the cockpit & canopy is wrong....but so are most of the plans available, so it's best to work from photos 

- the prototypes were originally planned to have two guns mounted internally in a deeper "canoe" under the forward fuselage; the production aircraft don't have any guns but they still seem to have a slightly bulged section of fuselage 

- the radome is all wrong as you know 

Unless you specifically have your heart set on using the Matchbox kit, there are/ were a couple of resin conversions available:

- Neomega (OOP but sometimes available on eBay)

- Naza Model Art (a Mexican company with a Facebook page but don't seem to reply to enquiries)

- Air-Graphic Models (previously Aviation Workshop?) were also planning to produce one last year but that seems to have gone quiet 

My plan was to use as much of the Hawk 100 fuselage as possible, source/ cast a new radome & blend the bit in between with plastic card, filler & endless sanding. The Matchbox canopy might be useable. 

There were previously couple of good threads on Britmodeller - just type "Hawk 200" into the search function. 

Good luck & post photos!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DougC said:

I looked at this a few years ago but never got as far as cutting any plastic. My initial thought was the same as yours: mate the front half of the Matchbox Hawk 200 with the rear & wings of either an Airfix/ Italeri Hawk 100 & scratchbuild a radome from somewhere. However, the Matchbox kit is pretty poor:

- the forward fuselage doesn't bear much resemblence to even the prototypes (ZG & ZH200), let alone the production series aircraft, it's way too "pinched" looking

- the angle of the cockpit & canopy is wrong....but so are most of the plans available, so it's best to work from photos 

- the prototypes were originally planned to have two guns mounted internally in a deeper "canoe" under the forward fuselage; the production aircraft don't have any guns but they still seem to have a slightly bulged section of fuselage 

Unless you specifically have your heart set on using the Matchbox kit, there are/ were a couple of resin conversions available:

- Naza Model Art (a Mexican company with a Facebook page but don't seem to reply to enquiries)

- Air-Graphic Models (previously Aviation Workshop?) were also planning to produce one last year but that seems to have gone quiet 

My plan was to use as much of the Hawk 100 fuselage as possible, source/ cast a new radome & blend the bit in between with plastic card, filler & endless sanding. The Matchbox canopy might be useable. 

There were previously couple of good threads on Britmodeller - just type "Hawk 200" into the search function. 

Good luck & post photos!

Thanks for the guidance there, it sounds like a more involved job than I initially thought! I'm mostly planning on using the Matchbox kit as I've had it for more years than I care to remember and as it's missing a wing anyway this is as good a way to actually build it as any. As my plan is a what if anyway it's giving me a little bit of leeway as it only has to look reasonably accurate in the end. 

Still planning to post pics when i get round to it!

• 2 months later...

I'm currently working on the same thing myself, 1/72 Matchbox cockpit section & canopy, Airfix fuselage/wings/tail & resin nose from a Sea Harrier FA2 conversion set. Planning to add RWR and wing tip launch rails like the T2.  Thinking of a 'what-if' RAuxAF scheme 

51143280061_7d4bb24b52_w.jpg

• Like 3

On 4/28/2021 at 2:20 AM, murfv said:

I'm currently working on the same thing myself, 1/72 Matchbox cockpit section & canopy, Airfix fuselage/wings/tail & resin nose from a Sea Harrier FA2 conversion set. Planning to add RWR and wing tip launch rails like the T2.  Thinking of a 'what-if' RAuxAF scheme 

That's exactly what I'm hoping to achieve, although I'll be using the back end of an Italeri Hawk 100 for my one.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 2:20 AM, murfv said:

I'm currently working on the same thing myself, 1/72 Matchbox cockpit section & canopy, Airfix fuselage/wings/tail & resin nose from a Sea Harrier FA2 conversion set.

Looks great!

Which Shar FA2 resin nose are you using?

On 24/02/2021 at 23:02, DougC said:

Good luck & post photos!

The air graphic one was available, it showing as on back order at the moment

• Like 1