Sopwith, descendants and acquisitions (Hawker, Gloster, Siddley) for 2023!!

Marklo

Not sure if this is the right place to list an idea for a group build ( if it’s not could I kindly ask the mods to move it to the right place) but here goes.

Sopwith Aviation was founded in 1912 and pretty active prior to WWI going on to produce iconic fighters like the Camel. In 1920 they went in to voluntary liquidation. 

That same year Tom Sopwith and Harry Hawker founded the Hawker aircraft company, having purchased all the Sopwith assets and paid off all the creditors.

in 1935 Hawker acquired Gloster who continued to trade under their own name releasing the Gladiator that same year.

Then  in 1936 they merged with Siddley who also owned Armstrong Withworth  and AVRO, to form Hawker Siddley.

In 1945 they acquired AVRO Canada. 

1952 they acquired the remnants of the Bristol engine company and De Havilland and Folland. 

Then finally they were incorporated into  British Aerospace.

As part of the proposal, only post merger aircraft would count, so for example the Gauntlet would not but the Gladiater would.

So if you follow the time line through you get a large slice of British aviation with the Sopwith heritage as the linking theme. Starting with Sopwith naval aircraft including the hurricane  and on to the Harrier.

Actually my only niggle  is it may be too broad and maybe Sopwith on its own would be enough for a good GB.

Just checked my references and including one offs and prototypes Sopwith on their own comprises about thirty types.

On  @dnl42a suggestion it might be a good idea to keep it to the main Sopwith/Hawker/Hawker Siddley line otherwise it sort of becomes becomes British aircraft 1912 to 1970 :).

Thoughts suggestions, critiques 

1. @Marklo Well of course

2. @Ted

3. @Corsairfoxfouruncle

4. @MarkSH

5. @zebra

6. @dnl42

7. @Andwil

8. @bigbadbadge

9. @CliffB

10. @Adam Poultney ?

11. @Colin W

12. @Ray S

13. @Torbjorn

14. @mackem01

15. @TEMPESTMK5

16. @Wez

17. @franky boy

18. @John Masters

19. @ColonelKrypton

20. @galgos

21. @JosephLalor

22. @Rob S

23. @Graham77

24. @Mr T

25. @wellzy

26. @Ngantek

27. @DaddyO

28. @Steben

29. @Angus Tura

30. @Richard Humm

31. @Roland Pulfrew

32. @Luke1199

33. @ModelingEdmontonian

34. @81-er

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I might have a go at a Cuckoo, I have some reference so I may start looking at a scratch project. but plenty of time to source an alternative if its not feasible.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m in but more for the descendants than for Sopwith (just not the era that I really go for, although I could be tempted by a Snipe). I agree that descendants could be read too broadly - I wouldn’t think of things developed from Avro or De Havilland designs under the HS and BAe names as descendants of Sopwith. My suggestion is to constrain it to things built at Sopwith’s factory and it’s successors in Kingston, so Hawker products up to Hunter and Harrier. Or you could just call it Sopwith and Hawker.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, zebra said:

My suggestion is to constrain it to things built at Sopwith’s factory and it’s successors in Kingston, so Hawker products up to Hunter and Harrier. Or you could just call it Sopwith and Hawker.

Neither bad suggestion.s. Sopwith/Hawker/Hawker Siddley would be the direct line.

Edited by Marklo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

so am I getting this right that I could build yet another vulcan? Merger with Hawker Siddeley which owned Avro predates the Vulcan.

Well the merger was in 1936 so there is a direct link. My original thinking was that anything after one of the mergers is fair game so for example a Gladiator would be in but a Gauntlet would be out.

If you think about it the builds could start with a Gunbus and end with a Harrier with an interesting mix in between.

Edited by Marklo

• Marklo changed the title to Sopwith and desecendants. At 10 come on guys, you know you want to :)
  • Marklo changed the title to Sopwith and desecendants. At 12 come on guys, you know you want to :)
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Marklo changed the title to Sopwith and desecendants. At 13 only unlucky for some :)
  • 2 months later...

Seeing as how I bought another Camel yesterday ( I now have four in the stash and it’s my least favourite Sopwith, next to the tabloid) I can’t let this one go. C’mon guys, you know you want to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Marklo changed the title to Sopwith, descendants and acquisitions (Hawker, Gloster, Siddley) 14 and counting
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Marklo changed the title to Sopwith, descendants and acquisitions (Hawker, Gloster, Siddley) 17 and counting
  • 1 month later...
  • Marklo changed the title to Sopwith, descendants and acquisitions (Hawker, Gloster, Siddley) 18 and counting
  • Marklo changed the title to Sopwith, descendants and acquisitions (Hawker, Gloster, Siddley) 19 and counting

Surely a Gauntlet II is eligible…….”An improved model, the Gauntlet II, featuring structural improvements sourced from Gloster's new parent company, Hawker was developed during 1934; deliveries of this new model commenced in the following year”.

I could be interested in the GB if so. 
Max 

• Thanks 1