Hurricane IIc - Your Favourite Scheme

Ray_W

I did not put this in the Rumourmonger thread as I have a broader question on Hurricane IIc colour schemes.

I think I have never looked forward to a kit more than Arma's planned 1/48 Hurricane IIc (the other two new tools, just dreaming, would be an Airfix 1/48 Hampden and a ICM B-26 Marauder). I have planned for some time to go-to-town on existing Hurricane's and make a real nice IIc. Then I heard the Arma news and decided to hold off. 

This leads me to a little pre-planning and very interested in potential subjects - not so much what's in the box - but rather what would be a sweet option.  Tell me your Hurricane IIc favourites. I will definitely be doing one in a desert scheme then possibly another two, so plenty of scope for interesting subjects.

Ray

• Like 1

So many possibilities- they are all pretty! My all-time favorite, since the first time I saw it in the Hurricane Profile,  has always been Ariel Kuttlewascher's JX-E, even though we now know the scheme as illustrated in the 4-view color drawings is pretty much wrong. it is just so doggone luvvery! Right now I'm leaning towards a CBI IIc in the dark green/dark earth/medium sea grey scheme with the white bands. My good friend's uncle flew them in Burma and then P-47's; my friend told me his uncle really liked the Hurricane, but loved the Thunderbolt!

Mike

I might still do JX-E as a what-if using the Arma kit- I did one  ages ago using the old Airfix Mk IV kit-wonder how many of us have done his Hurricane since that profile came out? (Even PZ865 has been done in that scheme!)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

I might still do JX-E as a what-if using the Arma kit- I did one  ages ago using the old Airfix Mk IV kit-wonder how many of us have done his Hurricane since that profile came out? (Even PZ865 has been done in that scheme!)

you do PZ865 in that scheme an it's not a what if...... as it flew in that scheme....

My 'favourite' IIc scheme would be a well photo documented operational Soviet  IIc,  as I have not seen one of those! 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

My favorite IIC is "The Last of the Many" in her civil blue "racing" scheme, hands down.

good call.  

useful thread here

and here 

one detail that is really useful

https://www.key.aero/forum/historic-aviation/23820-blue-hurricane

"During the current work being undertaken on PZ865, we removed a blanked over air scoop about the size of a 2p coin. Under the rivetted blanking plate was the intake scoop in the original blue paintwork:) I duly fetched my books of colour chips and set to work. Although the colour does change in different lighting conditions (they all do) it was a strong match for one of them: Oxford Blue. Here's a picture, you decide..."

Oxford%20Blue%20002.jpg

Note BS105  is  wartime RAF Roundel Blue.

cheers

T

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

Cor blimy- was it really that simple?!  I knew everything else, but somehow THAT intelligence had escaped me.

It is according to Colourcoats

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/collections/colourcoats/products/acrn31-ww2-roundel-blue-oxford-blue-bs105

And I trust @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies on such matters.   

and has a certain logic, as in being an available paint, and by that stage, 1949,  an obsolete one, with the reversion to the brighter pre war blue in late 40's AFAIK

• Like 3

I have 2 favorite Hurricane IIc, first BD 826. 185 Sq Malta, seen the book of Tonyot "No place for beginners" page 163. Front DG, DE, rear EDSG, Sky blue under.

Nr 2 is also in Malta and perhaps the same Sq L8665  B (white) Top EDSG and Sky blue underside.

Alain

• Like 2

I will of course say the Irish Air Corps Hurricane IIc. But my favourite scheme is for the Hurricane IIc night intruder repainted for Operation Jubilee. 

Definitely my favourite. 

Edited by noelh
Americanisms
  • Like 1

Some really nice options proposed. Definitely will be a multiple build to post in WIP. Just hope they are released soon and the kit delivers in terms of my (our) expectations.

Ray

I'm biased but Irish IIc's for me based at Gormanston just down the beach from where I grew up!  The roundels on a white square make for a colorful plane on the drab  RAF camo

If not then a desert one would be next for me

regards

Eamonn

5 hours ago, mackem01 said:

any Hurricane will do for me.

True! Other than the slip-wing version, there isn't an ugly Hurricane....well, maybe the two-seat conversions, although the silver-doped Persian ones are handsome beasts!

Mike

• Like 1

On 23/02/2021 at 14:54, gingerbob said:

My favorite IIC is "The Last of the Many" in her civil blue "racing" scheme, hands down.

Another +1 for this.

I was going to say the desert scheme with 4 cannon and the chin filter, until you reminded me of this scheme!

@Troy Smith thanks for the link with all the info!

Im looking forward to the fourth coming Arma kit to and any Hurricane in desert camo gets my vote.

Its a Mkiib rather than a C which will follow soon but I finished this one for the Med ww2 GB over christmas. 

50795803506_65a9658171_b.jpg2C5661AF-45CC-419A-B293-20B4E551320F by James Halls, on Flickr

50795803596_fa974786a5_b.jpgBC1CABCD-D412-407B-A057-A22DE2CDF2DB by James Halls, on Flickr

Look forward to to seeing your builds when they happen Ray. 

James

• Like 6

On 2/25/2021 at 6:37 PM, franky boy said:

Im looking forward to the fourth coming Arma kit to and any Hurricane in desert camo gets my vote.

Hi James,

That's a lovely build. Even more incentive for a desert scheme. The blue "Last of the Many" is sweet, a Night Intruder scheme is something a little unique and I have a personal liking for the beat up cannon removed D-Day mail aircraft. What was there, close to 5,000 Mk.IIc's built? So many subjects. You can see my dilemma. 

Ray

• Like 2

The decal set is I think OOP but pops up on ebay quite often. 

so...if Oxford blue is the same as WW2 roundel blue but Xtracolor sell both are they actually the same inside the tin? I notice they quote the BS reference for Oxford blue but not roundel blue. (Though they do quote the BS for their postwar roundel blue)

Ive had the decal set a while but Oxford blue has been out of stock ever since...but ww2 roundel blue is in stock...

hmmm and it seems chez colorcoats oxford and roundel blue are one and the same...

Edited by wombat
Added note about colorcoats