British early jets - 1/72 Whittle and Vampire - COMPLETE!!!

Dennis_C

Yesterday I started decal job on the Vampire. Decals are Cartograph printed so the quality is good as probably expected, however decals are a little too thick to my taste. While with Clear Prop decals a tiny drop of Mark Softer diluted with water was enough to remove any silvering - here I was using pure mark softer and in generous volume and still see that the result is not 100% yet. 

20211223_115754

Couple other problems:

- sky bands on booms are either too short or instruction gives the wrong place (judging from real photoes maybe that's the case). Anyway I will have to probably use letter codes from another RAF option to seal the gaps. 

- I really don't like the recent fashion of using dark red-brown instead of insignia red for the roundels. I kinda understand brownish tint, but I really dislike darkness of the colour. The same dark shade is adopted by Eduard, Special Hobby and I think I saw it with other Czech firms. Just look at the real pictures above. Red should be visibly lighter than blue but with the Special Hobby decals they are basically similar. 

Okay. Decal job to be continued. 

Cheers,

Dennis

Edited by Dennis_C
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go! 

20211231_223943

As the 2022 knocks at the door I managed to finish this project. 

A good photosession is due for Vampire yet. Still I'm very satisfied with the result. Looks very much like an early Vampire :) Neat and beautiful. 

Wish you all the better (much better!) 2022 and a lot of motivation and success in the hobby :)

Cheers,

Dennis!

• Like 2

• Dennis_C changed the title to British early jets - 1/72 Whittle and Vampire - COMPLETE!!!