Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero Radial Engine

fishplanebeer

My next project is the Airfix A6M2b Zero and I have all the correct colours for a Mitsubishi built version, courtesy of Colourcoats, but have just one small question.

I've read the previous posts regarding P&W radial engine colours but can't find any similar reference/post confirming what colours would be correct for Japanese radials so can anyone help please?

Regards

Colin.

According to Nick Millman in Combat Colours No.9 'The Mitsubishi Zero' -

"Most components of the Sakae 12 and Sakae 21 engines were finished in gloss black and semi-gloss grey paint as listed below". (I summerize the ensuing list for early Sakae)

Black - Cylinders and all cylinder accessories, intake manifold, fuel pump case, magnetos, ignition cables, engine mounts

Grey (ca. FS 16473) - Crankcase, blower case, gear case, oil pump housing, fuel pump support, ignition conduit tubes

NMF - Fittings at end of pushrod housings, gun synchroniser

Braided wire - Ignition lines

I urgently recommend this publication to everybody wanting to build an A6M.

Cheers, Michael

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I saw a 1/48 Tamiya A6M3 WIP here a couple of weeks ago of and the ignition wires were red, which had me scratching my head. The undercarriage bays were the underside colour as opposed to Aotake.

Apologies for hijacking your thread, but I'd like to build an A6M3 this year and wondered if there was a generic guide of what should be what colour? I'm leaning towards a grey airframe with green overspray.

cheers,

Chris

2 hours ago, TempestV said:

The undercarriage bays were the underside colour as opposed to Aotake.

Also descibed in the above. Difference is due to where they were built, Nakajima or Mitsubishi.

• Like 1

@dov,

Thank you for posting the photos- excellent modeling details! Would you happen to know what model gun sight is in  the photos you posted? It looks like it might be a Type 4 as used on A6M's- is that close?

Mike

While looking for the gun sight type, I discovered this website that I think might be useful for IJA/IJN aircraft modelers- hope it hasn't been posted before!

Mike

http://www.gunsight.jp/b/

Edited by 72modeler
added text

Many thanks for all the responses which have helped me decide on what should be the correct colours. Basically it will be satin black for the cylinders and light grey for the crankcase, then some careful dry brushing to tease out the details. The Airfix engine isn't massively detailed but I intend to build it OOB without adding the ignition cables etc. so this should look quite accurate in this scale.

Regards

Colin.

• Like 1

This is a great thread, I hope I am not high jacking it with this question—would the colors described be applicable to a B5N2 Kate?  I thought these 2 aircraft shared the same or similar engines—apologize if my research is off—thank you @fishplanebeer for starting this and for everyone’s informative inputs—will use it for my next A6M build—best, Erwin

Well, generally the Japanese war industry had one pattern. As all war industries. If you get a clue of these patterns, you can definitely make accurate assumptions based on real data.

As you ask, all Japanese radial engines, you can take these engine photographed, as a pattern. I did reading all the Japanese Literature and all comments to Japanese pictures (not Allied pictures) together with my Japanese teacher. It may be a detail: Many placards on Japanese aircrafts are written in the old Japanese language, or old kanjis, which are today overruled by Allied interference in Japanese language.

In historical terms, there are many interesting details hidden from western eyes. I am lucky with my teacher, since her father was a designer, one of many who worked on a Zero design office. My teacher had some clue, from her childhood about some tales from her father. Other things we could ask old Zero boys.

So, in many details we talked about each a/c in museums to find and about accuracies. The museum in Kakamigahara is the treasure to the aviation history by itself. You find my Ki-61 photos in the forum.

Technologies in Japan to preserve aviation items are highly developed. The west could learn a lot. They have different approaches to all this.

In the Science Museum in Tokyo, at Ueno park, you find the detailed history of the Jet engine development based on German design. All drawings are there and the next steps after the peace treaty are shown in Kakamigahara.

The engine of the Ki-61 is the development based on the DB 601. The drive shaft bearings were the bottle neck in manufacturing. Because of drilling. No chance by Japanese industries at this time. Quality was so poor, that the engine was prone on failures all the time.

Well, just to give you an idea….

Happy modelling

• Like 4

9 hours ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

would the colors described be applicable to a B5N2 Kate

The B5N2 had a Sakae 11. They were built at around the same time as those for the Zero. I don't see a reason why they should have been painted differently.

• Like 1

I know that looking at museum preserved examples and other modeller's build cannot always be relied upon for accuracy but I've found a build of a Tamiya 32nd scale kit that looks spot on when compared with the information from Nicholas Millman and I'll now be using this for my build as well. The only error I can spot is that the top of the aerial mast should have been painted black or blue/black (the same as the cowling and fuselage decking) depending upon whether it is a Mitsubishi or Nakajima example.

See what you think: https://chriswauchop.com/2016/05/30/tamiya-132-mitsubishi-a6m2b-zero-model-21/

Regards

Colin.

• Like 1

Well, I am not sure- The built link is wonderful. 

Many years ago I was hypercritical to every item, every spot on an a/c. Times past, and I saw much more. Even today’s operative a/c. In museums, you have to find out which one works accurate and which one has blind spots. So, in your special issue, do as you like it, as you prefer it. After 30 years of modeling I also have to accept, that many of my models have errors. On the Zero for instance, I have seen many of them in Japan. All different versions. Overlapping the war time industry, understanding the production process, I see this matters today very relaxed. No headache! Ok?

1. the top of the aerial mast
  2. cowling and fuselage decking

Do, as you prefer.

• Like 1