Crusader Mk.III. Border Model 1/35

diablo rsv

Many thanks Roger @Hamden, Simon @SimonL, Nenad @Nenad Ilijic ,John @Bullbasket, Vytautas @vytautas and @Milan Mynar.

Unfortunately I'm still battling the eye infection, it's getting there but it means I have to wear glasses at the moment and mine really need replacing so I am trying to see through scratched and scuffed lenses. They also have a slight tint which makes getting the colour balance right on the photography side of things difficult.

Enough of my self pity and back to the Crusader.

I sprayed the model with hairspray followed by a heavily thinned coat of Tamiya acrylics mixed to a dusty colour. The idea of the hairspray was to allow me to remove the dust layer in some areas of wear or places that I was unhappy with. As it happened I removed very little. The rest of the dust effects were added with various VMS pigments mixed to what I felt was an appropriate desert sand colour. Oils were used to add a few stains here and there. A little graphite on the tracks and MG and that is pretty much it.

I find the dusty desert appearance the hardest weathering to get right, I'm reasonably happy with this one but I'm sure I could do better.

ji3JzPk.jpg

I shall call it a day for this one. I was intending to add some stowage but I have too many other projects that are calling me. I would like to build some bases and create some small dioramas in the future so I may add some embellishments then.

As for the kit itself, I have to say I have been very impressed by it. The detail and fit of parts are excellent. Accuracy wise I can't really comment as I don't have any plans to check it against but to my eyes it looks right. Maybe the weld beads on the turret are a little prominent but that's about it. Most of my references show vehicles with the earlier sand shields that have two continuous ridges instead of the three broken ones as provided in the kit but as I don't have a photo of this particular tank I don't know which ones are correct. 

There is really no need for after market so I feel that the kit is good value for money. Hopefully there is enough interest in the kit to encourage Border to release a few different versions.

Once I get my eyes sorted I can post some more photos in RFI.

Many thanks for the interest and kind comments on this build.

Wayne

PS, I will gloss those periscopes.

• Like 15

Really nice build Wayne. One question, is there enough detail in the turret to have the hatches open if a figure or two were added?

George

On 09/03/2021 at 22:05, diablo rsv said:

Border provide a plastic and metal option for the barrel but, the metal one is unusable really.

I would have put that in the chuck of my drill and sanded it back till it fit ....ally is fairly soft and when sanded conforms pretty fast....a bit late with this suggestion as i didn't realise this build was here........

Still it's not like you needed it judging by the finished article ...very pretty indeed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 20/04/2021 at 21:39, Retired Bob said:

It looks very good Wayne, nice and dusty.  :like:  I keep saying no more kits but I do like the Crusader.....might just have to get one. :hmmm:

It's a lovely kit Bob, I would say go for it.

On 21/04/2021 at 07:22, Geo1966 said:

Really nice build Wayne. One question, is there enough detail in the turret to have the hatches open if a figure or two were added?

George

Thanks George, there is a reasonably detailed gun breech and some detail on the inside of the hatches so I think it would be fine to have them open if you are going to have figures in there.

On 21/04/2021 at 11:32, M3talpig said:

I would have put that in the chuck of my drill and sanded it back till it fit ....ally is fairly soft and when sanded conforms pretty fast....a bit late with this suggestion as i didn't realise this build was here........

Still it's not like you needed it judging by the finished article ...very pretty indeed.

Thanks Steve,

I did think about that option but the detail on their counter weight wasn't great so the plastic barrel with the RB model weight was the better way to go.

I have now posted some more photos in RFI HERE

• Like 1