Egypt Mig 17 Aeromaster 1/48

Colin W

27 minutes ago, Colin W said:

Thanks Gents,

I am intriguedby the 2 holes under the rear fuselage. The kit provides windows for both and a part looking like a valve behind the foremost one. Other than to see an oil leak close up, why would they have 2 windows in such odd places and what was behind them?

Perhaps this is less of a mystery to @RidgeRunner or @Wez

Cheers

Colin

Stolen unashamedly because I also wanted to know:  The square panel is for the MRP-48P Khrizantema marker beacon receiver and the round panel is for the ARK-5 Amur radio compass, the round panel is clear, the square panel is painted.

So now we know (unless you want to know what an MRP-48P is used for) :)

Andy

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Foxbat said:

(unless you want to know what an MRP-48P is used for)

A marker beacon receiver would be used with an Instrument Landing System,  Many systems have separate localiser (left/right), glideslope (up/down) and marker beacon (how far out), receivers and aerials.

@Colin W your Fresco is looking mighty fine!

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Wez said:

A marker beacon receiver would be used with an Instrument Landing System,  Many systems have separate localiser (left/right), glideslope (up/down) and marker beacon (how far out), receivers and aerials.

Cheers, actually sounds like a pretty cool piece of kit. 

Andy

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Colin W said:

Perhaps this is less of a mystery to @RidgeRunner or @Wez

I’m sorry Colin but I don’t actually know. I’m still learning about the MiG-17 series and haven’t got as far as learning about this feature. :(

Martin

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Foxbat said:

The square panel is for the MRP-48P Khrizantema marker beacon receiver and the round panel is for the ARK-5 Amur radio compass, the round panel is clear, the square panel is painted.

Ah ha!!! I should have read your post before posting! It is interesting that Eduard give a paint mask for the “square” panel! 

• Haha 2

On 3/18/2021 at 11:03 PM, RidgeRunner said:

It is interesting that Eduard give a paint mask for the “square” panel! 

I'm not sure whats worse. Eduard giving a paint mask for the square window or SMER providing detail behind it?

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Colin W said:

I'm not sure whats worse. Eduard giving a paint mask for the square window or SMER providing detail behind it?

My post was taken from the Squadron/Signal MiG-17F In Action book. The headline photo here disagrees with the book and matches Airfix, SMER and Eduard. That old adage about photo proof still holds up (took me ages to find a good photo though - seems jet undersides aren't sexy enough to take good pics of).

Polish MiG-17F in flight 

Andy

Edited by Foxbat
Smelling korrections

36 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

My post was taken from the Squadron/Signal MiG-17F In Action book. The headline photo here disagrees with the book and matches Airfix, SMER and Eduard. That old adage about photo proof still holds up (took me ages to find a good photo though - seems jet undersides aren't sexy enough to take good pics of).

Polish MiG-17F in flight 

Andy

The plot thickens but the camera never lies! 2 windows it shall be.

Here is the underside now with the large round window fitted and the square one being built up from layers of Microsol Crystal clear. The round window was smaller than the opening so I lined the hole with Crystal Clear and then fitted the window once it was dried. Worked a treat!

I'm sure the undersides weren't that clean so some leaks might be needed.

20210320_144302

meanwhile ,  In other news....

Despite packing as much lead as possible into the nose splitter (parts 14 and 15) and adding an extra 10g in front of the instrument panel and some more under the coskpit tub, she's still a tai sitter. I really hate those! Anyone building this kit and interested to know how much nose weight to use should pack as much in as possible .

The two clamps here are holding more nose weights painted black ready to push into the intakes. We shall not be defeated!

20210320_193042

A few more minor parts and aerials still to add after the decals.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

Appologies for not replying to this. I took a picture then forgot to post it.

On 3/10/2021 at 5:26 PM, modelling minion said:

The short shot undercarriage is a real pain, how are you planning on dealing with them?

I cut the wheel mounting spur off the good leg to make both legs the same. Then a bit of Brass rod bent and super glued into the bottom gave the correct parts and a few coats of Mr Surfacer 500 hid the joint and gave me these. The detai is quite poor but no worse that the original or even the rest of the kit. Its a real shame that the highlight of this kit is the cockpit which can't be seen whereas parts that can be seen are rubbish! The resin wheels are a massive improvement over the kit parts though.

20210317_212216

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Colin W said:

Anyone building this kit and interested to know how much nose weight to use should pack as much in as possible .

Airfix quoted 20g for the 1/72 kit! 

• Haha 1

Nose gear bay packed with lead and now 3 wheels on the deck!

I've also added the twin pitots made from brass tube and carbon fibre rod. I'll probably do the decals next.

20210326_201213 20210326_201155

Colin

• Like 8

Decals Added now including a crest and set of wings on the nose of the drop tanks. Being an Aeromaster kit I assumed the decals would be good, and they were. The crest on the tank noses went well but are very hard to see with white on the send but they are visible close up. Its been a long time since I built anything in Egyptian markings.

Wireless aerial on the port fuselage and gun barrels added from resin and fine tube. The pitots are pained silver to enhance their survivability!

20210329_164717

20210329_164701

Some shading and landing lights still to do.

Colin

• Like 7

Well I finished the last few bits and added the port wing tip aerial a few times. After a coat of Future I used a quite heavy wash of burnt Umber oils to pick out the details and dirty up the sand. Some pictures in the gallery but here are a few more.

Note Aeromaster have transposed the colour scheme between their paint diagram and the box lid! I decided to follow the instructions hence the port side on the box lid has the camouflage pattern of the starboard side of the model!

IMG_6854

IMG_6861

IMG_6862

IMG_6879

IMG_6875

IMG_6874

IMG_6870

IMG_6862

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions along the Way.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 4