Monty's Caravan and Dingo scout car ***FINISHED***

PeterB

Inspired by John's LRDG build, I thought I might have a go at this Revell 2007 reboxing of the Matchbox kit from around 1980.

DSC04716

I bought it on a whim as it contained the only injection moulded 1/76 Daimler Dingo scout car I had ever seen - I was not really interested in the one off "caravan" but could convert the Leyland Retriever chassis into something else I thought, though it is still unbuilt in my stash.

The normal British Army "command" vehicle was the Dorchester in the early part of the war - an armoured box body mounted on the chassis of the AEC Matador 4x4, and it seems to have been well liked, at least by Erwin Rommel who used 2 named Max and Moritz that the Africa Corps had captured. Later a larger 6x6 version entered service in Europe. THis particular vehicle is a hybrid. During the 8th Army's surprise advance across the border into Italian territory in Operation Compass in December 1940, the enemy forces were rapidly pushed back and as the campaign continued many Italians were captured. In February 1941 General Annibali Bergonzoli was taken at Breda Fomm - his splendid facial hair had earned him the knickname "barba elettrica" from his own troops and the Brits translated this as "electric whiskers". With him came his command vehicle or caravan, based on a Lancia 3RO chassis, but the Brits transplanted it on to a Leyland Retriever 6 x 4 chassis and it was initially used by General Ritchie. It was a combination office, map room and bedroom at first.

Once Montgomery took charge of the 8th Army he inherited this vehicle and used it right through to the end of the war, though after the fall of Tunis in 1943 he aquired the "caravan" of General Giovanni Messi which was transplanted on to a Mack chassis and used as his sleeping quaters. Also, seven weeks before the D-Day landings a purpose built mobile maproom on a Fordson chassis joined his HQ, but this original vehicle remained his office right up to the surrender of Germany in 1945 and is now in the Imperial War Museum collection at Duxford I believe.

The original Matchbox boxing showed it in European green camo, unlike the Revell one, and the "diorama base" with cobbled street and tramlines is more suitable for Germany in 1945, but it will have to do - there are decs for both schemes and the instructions say the desert one is as at late 1942, but perhaps it could have been in Tunis a little later?

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 11

Yes, I still have quite a few old ones - Hasegawa, Frog, Matchbox, Airfix, Heller and Fujimi - I still look at them from time to time. Fortunately they do not show prices - that would depress me no end!

Pete

• Haha 3

Another unusual and worthy subject. Nice choice Pete.

18 hours ago, PeterB said:

Yes, I still have quite a few old ones - Hasegawa, Frog, Matchbox, Airfix, Heller and Fujimi - I still look at them from time to time. Fortunately they do not show prices - that would depress me no end!

Who could have thought we'd still be building the same kits at a different price all these years later :o

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, John_W said:

Very nice, was always on my wish list. For Info, Tunis had trams, built by the French, so the base would pass muster as "colonial".

Thanks John,

I knew that the French had been there so I did suspect that they might have set up a tram network!

Pete

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, as I had the required paints out for some tanks in  another GB I thought I had better make a start.

DSC04855-crop

This is an underside view of the chassis of the Leyland Retriever. Unfortunately, as I was trying to glue the exhaust system on I dropped it on the floor, and although it should be easy to see on the light wood effect lino tiles it has vanished. If it has not turned up by the end of the build I will fabricate a replacement. Since my knees packed up it is not only difficult but downright uncomfortable to get down and have a proper look for it but I guess I will have to try.

The next stage it the cab and then the body. Pics of the outside of this particular "caravan" are not that easy to find, unlike Monty's second one on a Mack chassis, but the inside view of the one in the War Museum collection shows it to be varnished wood panelliing. The roof and upper bodywork is covered on the outside with canvas, perhaps as weatherproofing, and I am guessing the whole body is made from wood panels over either a timber or metal framework.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I thought it was about time I did a bit of work on this so I have made and fitted a replacement exhaust system and started on the driver's cab.

DSC05009-crop

I suppose I should have sanded of that big circular thing under the windscreen which is presumably an ejector pin mark, but it won't be visible once the cab is closed up. I have glazed the windscreen though it is not obvious in the photo. The assembly is pretty straightforward, except perhaps for the steering column which has no obvious locating marks/holes. Like a lot of British lorries it had a canvas roof which I have also painted so now it is ready to go together., and here it is sitting on the chassis.

DSC05012-crop

Bit of painting to do and the mudguards to add, and in the meantime I have started painting the "caravan" part.

DSC05014-crop

As I mentioned earlier the interior had some nice wood panelling so I have painted it in some LNER Coach Teak paint - If I was a "proper" modeller I might just have had a shot at a wood grain effect but life is too short - anyway very little of it will be visible once it is closed up. The floor is Hu 110 "natural wood".  Unlike the windscreen I cannot glue clear plastic into the side windows and it would be a bit difficult to just stick a sheet behind some of them as they project back into the body, so they will have to make do with a spot of Krystal Kleer. I will get the roof and the end door section on now and leave it to set properly.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

On 24/02/2021 at 12:43, PeterB said:

Thanks John,

I knew that the French had been there so I did suspect that they might have set up a tram network!

Pete

Along with a chain of pâtisseries !

Looking really smart Pete

Cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1

Well, that's the basic construction done on the Leyland - quite a few more bits to add including headlights, starter handle, bumper bar, various boxes and cans.

DSC05016-crop

The Leyland Retriever followed in the tradition of British lorries going back to the end of WWI, with the driver sitting next to the engine and virtually no nose/bonnet. The cab was extremely basic with a canvas tilt roof and canvas side doors, and in most cases the windscreen could be folded forwards and down to lie flat - fine on a nice sunny day in the UK, but not too good in the rain and snow in Europe or the sand and dust in the desert I would imagine where goggles and a face mask would be essential I guess. Incidentally I believe that not only did Rommel prefer the British Dorchester command vehicles but apparently he also used British goggles in preference to German ones so perhaps that was one bit of kit we got right. I have seen a pic of this "Caravan" in Europe later in the war and it looks like it had conventional side doors fitted by then.

Given that the occupant was the Commanding General of the 8th Army I suspect the crew would try and keep it as clean as possible, though out in the Desert that might have been a bit difficult. However I am modelling a scene in Tunis where I expect there was rather less sand so I will not bother weathering it. Might dirty up the Dingo a bit though. I don't normally "do" dioramas but some of the Matchbox "scenery" is pretty good and the base that comes with this kit is quite impressive so I will give it a shot. Unfortunately modern Tunis on Google Maps does not give a lot of detail as the roads have all been resurfaced it seems, but the stone used is quite light so helps - no idea what colour the cobbles would have been but again perhaps a light stone colour rather than the sort of purple/red grey I remember from my youth..

Cheers

Pete

• Like 2

Decals on, rest of the bits fitted and windows glazed.

DSC05039-crop DSC05040-crop

Looks like Matchbox got the mudguards/flaps for the rear wheels too long so I have shortened them a bit since taking the above pics. This is the "caravan" in its normal "travelling" condition. If (and it is a big if) I make a halfway decent job of the diorama base then I will add the rear awning and frame together with the steps at the back.

Now I will start on the Damiler Dingo scout car and the base.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 2

I have said it before but I am not really that good at "diorama's" - mind you I was rubbish at art at school which might have something to do with it - probably why I decided to study engineering were you should usually have a plan to follow! Anyway I have made a start.

DSC05049-crop

Bit like my attempts at mottling - I don't seem to be able to do a truly random pattern to save my life. Anyway, once I I have sorted out the "wreckage" behing the statue, where I might try for a bit of "fire damage" I will give it all some washes to tone it down and pick out the gaps between the flags/cobbles. In the absence of any real info I went for light stone in various shades for the paving, ssandstone for the cobbles, and concrete for the plinth of the demolished statue. I decided it would likely be a cast metal statue rather than carved stone, and tried to imitate the glossy blackish look they seem to have in public spaces over here - I actually used Humbrol "Tarmac" whilst the tram rails and drain grid are Metalcote Polished Steel - I will add some more silvery streaks at the points to indicate wear and maybe a little rust as well. I have yet to decide what the two "rings" are meant to be - wood, metal or stone. The kit comes with some oil drums and planking for a table and a couple of barriers and trestles. Revell have not shown the base in their rebox so I will dig out a copy of the Matchbox version and see if that gives me any ideas, though I suspect it was intended as a European setting for the caravan in its green (SCC15?) period at the end of the war. Not brilliant but better than nothing I suppose!

Later - this is how it was shown on the back of the old Matchbox box.

van

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Made a start on the Dingo - it's tiny! This is the interior.

DSC05065-crop

And this is with the basic body panels added.

DSC05067-crop

The fit is not great and I may have to use a bit of filler, but once the mudguards and suspension are added most of the joints will be hidden. The faceted shape is presumably an attempt to compensate for the very thin armour. It seems to be an excercise in building the smallest possible "armoured" vehicle that could hold 2 men and "sneak" up on the enemy to find out what they were doing.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PeterB said:

. It seems to be an exercise in building the smallest possible "armoured" vehicle that could hold 2 men and "sneak" up on the enemy to find out what they were doing.

Which is exactly what was required.  Wouldn't work with armour sufficient to survive a direct hit from an 88.

• Like 1

I hate headlights on military vehicles - they are tiny and totally the wrong shape to be held in tweazers so I have lost quite a few over the years as they went pinging off into the unknown! I thought I had lost one from this kit too but the Gods must have been in a good mood today as I found it, so the Dingo is nearly complete - just the wheels, radio aerial and bren gun to go on once it is painted.

DSC05091-crop

The original design was opened topped with presumably just a canvas tilt to provide some protection from the weather, but the Army decided they wanted an armoured cover, so when Daimler started production of the Mk I they fitted a sliding roof. This was changed to a 2 part hinged version on the Mk Ia and the Mk II was the same according to the cencus number on the decs this is a Mk II. The Mk III which was waterproofed presumably for the Normandy landings dispensed with the cover which seems a bit strange. Matchbox have included the hinged cover which I have modelled folded back on its support frame but it can be fitted closed. It is a bit thick but will have to do. So, time to get some paint on - the wheels are already done.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

• PeterB changed the title to Monty's Caravan and Dingo scout car ***FINISHED***

The Dingo is finished - it is in the markings of the HQ Squadron of the 10th (Prince of Wales Own) Hussars.

DSC05093-crop DSC05095-crop

Strictly speaking the Arm of Service marking - 67 on a red square, should be on the right hand side at the front but there was quite a bit of variation in practice and this is how the decs are shown on the instructions so it may be correct.

And here it is on the diaorama base.

DSC05097-crop DSC05099-crop

As you can see the colours are sensitive to lighting so I will try and get some shots outdoor for the gallery.

I have fitted the steps and awning at the back of the "caravan" and added the various accessories to the base. By the time they got to Tripoli they were pretty much out of the desert and pics seem to show that most of the troops had reverted to Western European style Khaki uniforms. Monty however retained his light Khaki Drill trousers for some time and indeed was mostly seen wearing a brownish pullover, but the figures in the kit all have battledress blouses. There is a decal for a map but as with the ones intended for navigator's tables in some bomber kits it looks a bit 2-dimensional so I put it on a piece of very thin card before gluing it on to the "table". I am not normally very good at dioramas but this is not too bad I think. You will note that the "caravan" does not have a radio aerial so presumably it must normally have been accompanied by a radio truck.  As I mentioned at the beginning, once the Axis forces in Tunisia surrendered Monty aquired a second Italian General's "caravan" , the body of which was mounted on a Mack truck chassis and he used that as living/sleeping quarters, replacing the forward section of this first vehicle which was partitioned off and used as a bedroom initially.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

It is in the gallery now.

DSC05106-crop

When first I thought of entering this GB I was thinking only of building my Airfix Bf110E Trop but three kits later somehow that has yet to be started so with about a month to go maybe I should dig it out and get a move on!

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3

On 5/11/2021 at 3:34 PM, PeterB said:

When first I thought of entering this GB I was thinking only of building my Airfix Bf110E Trop but three kits later somehow that has yet to be started so with about a month to go maybe I should dig it out and get a move on!

Go for it :D