Airfix MiG-17F "Fresco-C" Mali 1/72

RidgeRunner

@PeterB Thanks for the pics! It seems it's somekind of prototype/test variant. But very cool nevertheless, have not seen those pics before.

3 hours ago, PeterB said:

Here is a link to the pic - no idea what version of the Mig-17 it is but it has a star on the tail!

https://flic.kr/p/2kXyasB

It seems this one is MiG-15.

• Thanks 1

I got her checked over and then took the Badger 200 to here, armed with Colourcoats ACN06. It isnt an authentic colour for the machine but it gives a little more blue than the Colourcoats Pale Blue Grey. It is a bit more intense blue in real life ;). I am now wondering how to paint the wing tanks - all blue or blue with green on the uppers? 

513y

Martin

• Like 6

Hmm ..... inner pylons removed because they conflict with the undercarriage doors! I got it wrong somewhere :(. I think I probably made them too long. If they had been shorter at the rear they could have worked. So, I've now removed hte pyloms, filled and sanded the scars and re-sparyed the areas with the underside blue. For this I have used Colourcoats ACD09 "Whisky Four" Aquablauw. I reckon it could be a good paint for a Mocambique Fresco - @reini;). I had hoped to get the upper green on today but that might have to wait if i can't mask it :(

Martin

• Like 2

Well, I managed to get the upper coat on :). Fortunately Colourcoats paints are pretty resistant to masking tapes after a short time and so I could keep going :). For this I have taken the Berna Decals instructions at their word and used Colourcoats Vert Fonce (ACF02). Given the "French" nature of the subject's operator I think it was possbly correct. It certainly looks right. The masking stage prior to this was a challenge but nothing that patience cant ovrecome ;). I need her to dry now and wil hope to get the masks off later today. The failures in my airbrushing and masking skills will then become apparent!

513z

My pln is to get this one to decalled and varnished stage in readiness for weathering and a wash. I will then return to the Burkinabe machine and get her finished. Next will be the Malian, which is, of course, partly built already.

Martin

• Like 6

Looks good Martin. Colourcoats are certainly the brand of choice if you want to make good progress with an enamel paint.

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Colourcoats are certainly the brand of choice if you want to make good progress with an enamel paint.

You'd think that, Col, but the Vert Fonce I applied earlier is still sticky! I'm sure it'll be okay but right now it isn't behaving like the Blue undersides :(

Martin

• Sad 1

• RidgeRunner changed the title to West African Aggressor - Bilek/Airfix MiG-17 "Fresco-A" Guinee Conakry 1/72 - 11may21 Uppers and lowers painted :)
3 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Looks great Martin. I really like the upper green colour, what a fantastic shade.

Thanks mate. It is the standard French green of the time, used on many types like the SIPA and Broussard

• Like 1

Having identified a few glitches, including a suspect position of the rear demarcation line, I got the corrections done this morning. In addition the jet pipe has had a coat of Humbrol 27002 mixed with a little 27003, and the cannons have had a coat of H 27004 Gunmetal. Both were buffed before the Badger 200 came out again armed with Glosscote to get ready for decalling :). I annoyingly picked up a little dust here and there so will need to again take remedial action once dried :(.

513aa

Martin

• Like 9

• RidgeRunner changed the title to West African Aggressor - Bilek/Airfix MiG-17 "Fresco-A" Guinee Conakry 1/72 - 14may21 airbrushing corrections made, cannons etc painted and a glosscote on!

Rather than keep two or three Fresco threads running, as there is a fair bit of repitition, I am amalgamating them. From this point on I will only post to this thread. To get the background on the Malian, Nigerian and Burkinabe machines follow these threads.

I got too enthusiastic!!! Sorry everyone.

Martin

• Like 3

• RidgeRunner changed the title to West African Aggressors - Airfix MiG-17 "Fresco-A" and "Fresco-C" Guinee Conakry, Mali, Burkina-Faso and Nigeria 1/72 - 17may21 amalgamated thread

There's no excuse for not finishing on time now!

513ba

Today the decals went on to the Guinean and the Burkinabe machine is awaiting all the last bits - undercarriage etc. The seats need painting, as do some of the Burkinabe parts. The Berna decals were a pain. Upon application they seem to raise up like a fillet of fish in the frying pan! Also, the clear backing film doesn't want to settle properly despite being a gloss surface and having lots of Microset applied :(. 

The Guinean will sit now for a week while the Glosscote I applied today dries. I hope to get more done tomorow and Friday so who knows how far I might get :)

Martin

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Col. said:

Hope the decals have settled down properly for you Martin as both are looking great there B) 

Yes, Col, they are fine. There might be the mintuest bit of silvering but I think its okay. 

I have got the Burkinabe on legs today. I reckon i'll be Gallery tomorrow or later this week. Meanwhile the Guinean will get a wash tomorrow and then some weathering :). I really fear that the Malian, despite being reasonably complete, might drop off the edge of the Africa GB world :(. I'll then finish it in WIP. Sorry. 

Martin

• Like 1

Glad to learn they settled down :) 

Two out of three, as Meatloaf says, isn't bad Martin and certainly two more than I've done ;) 

• Haha 1

• RidgeRunner changed the title to West African Aggressors - Airfix MiG-17 "Fresco-A" and "Fresco-C" Guinee Conakry, Mali, Burkina-Faso and Nigeria 1/72 - 25may21 Burkinabe **FINISHED**

Looking good so far. I've found that Humbrol Decalfix is better at settling decals than the Micro-Sol/Set system, although it didn't work with the 'Sellotape like' decals in the CMK D.H. Venom kit I was doing over on the ANZAC GB!

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Like 1

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Airfix MiG-17 "Fresco-A" and "Fresco-C" Guinee Conakry, Mali and Burkina-Faso 1/72 - 25may21 Burkinabe **FINISHED** and Guinean Flory washed
On 5/25/2021 at 8:18 PM, John Masters said:

Beautiful brace of Frescos!

Thanks a lot, John. There is another which is basically assembled. It may not get completed within the Gb :( 

4 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

It may not get completed within the Gb :( 

Yes...Mine too.  I have been eying my Airfix Frescoe and some African decals...but with everything that is happening, it may be time to move along to another GB...sad to say...indeed!

On 5/27/2021 at 11:33 AM, John Masters said:

Yes...Mine too.  I have been eying my Airfix Frescoe and some African decals...but with everything that is happening, it may be time to move along to another GB...sad to say...indeed!

Hopefully we can get the MiG-15/17 STGB going next year :) 

On 5/27/2021 at 11:33 AM, John Masters said:

21 hours ago, Grandboof said:

Looks awesome .

Martin H

13 minutes ago, Col. said:

Hopefully we can get the MiG-15/17 STGB going next year :) 

Thanks chaps :). More photos in RFI. Regarding the MiG-15/27 GB, I’d have to restrain myself! ;)

Martin

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Airfix MiG-17F "Fresco-C" Mali 1/72

Just a note to say that this one hasn’t been forgotten! She is basically built and so I will run her alongside my Fitter. She won’t be done by the end of the GB, though.

Martin

• Like 1