Shark-by-night Airfix Boulton-Paul Defiant 1/72

After a 20+ year hiatus, coronavirus pandemic has given me the opportunity to come back to a childhood hobby, and this lovely kit was my second go last fall. Finally had the chance to do some photos now--sadly I think she's already picked up some dust. 

Really can't say enough about the kit--went together like a dream. The all night camo isn't so interesting, granted, but I loved the red and white shark eyes and mouth against the black and over all I'm pleased with how it turned out.  I brush painted it with Tamiya XF-69; weathered with Tamiya panel liner, pastels, and a little silver chipping.  Perhaps would have liked a little more texture, but I like the subtle effects for the most part.

For what was in essence a failure of a fighter (at least during the day), I do find it a beauty of a bird, somehow, and building it was a real pleasure.  I'm tempted to do another in a different scheme! Hope you enjoy, and I certainly welcome constructive feedback.

y4mC1qVmea3bSbd48UgKgREqu0xyvjCz7Tz0XJJg

y4mnkPWWuInMrfMtqqYSTms-3CRCfQtsBN7WkrzH

y4m19ujlnxIuHMcEivpbeGoqZ_A9KnvCZvtswn-u

y4mpvl15ZIHs7R2zUjjGWVnMTt32D6DcJG7sbB2v

y4mZpOvArb0pCBi6MLHR9VRu77-EV57UG1gahHky

y4mK03CxLgyzNCNEBHl6bnKV2O73y26bCbIeVyyg

Edited by ModelingEdmontonian
  • Like 19

Looks very nice, and the weathering on the black is subtle and realistic. The night finish did show wear a lot so yours is probably at the newer end of the spectrum! The day scheme is also (IMHO) a very nice scheme if you want to do another one, but there are lots of other great kits out there to chose from.

What has certainly changed in the past 20 years is the availability of online independent kit reviews. It’s always worth doing a quick search before hitting that “buy” button, because if you are going to spend time on a kit you don’t want to waste it on a bad one. I should listen to my own advice sometimes!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

One of the few builds I've seen where the red circly (technical term) stencils on the underside didn't silver. One of life's mystery's is when some decals silver and some don't even tho prep and appln is the same. Ask me how I know. Good build

• Like 1