RAF Mustang III PK-G FB382 - S/L Horbaczewski

IvanP

Hi all,

This is my first post here and I would like to start with the Tamiya 1/48 Mustang III in the colors of the second plane of this type used by S/L Eugenius Horbaczewski. For this build, I've used the True Details cockpit, the Yahu instrument panel, the Rob Taurus vacformed canopy, the Aires horizontal stabilizers and elevators, and the Aires wheel well.

I had a hard time fitting the Aires wheel whell in place and ended up with a big step on the wing to fuselage joint. I had to sand and redo the whole area on both sides with Tamiya putty and then rescribe it. Apart from that, the kit assembled without any real problems. Canopy masks were made in Corel Draw and cut in a Kabuki sheet in my trusty Silhouette Portrait. The model was painted with Hataka enamels.. Decals came from the Techmod sheet on the type and from the spare box.

Comments are welcome.

Cheers, Ivan

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by IvanP
spelling mistake
  • Like 56
  • Thanks 2

Many thanks for all your comments. They are really appreciated!

Regarding the invasion stripes: I first masked and painted them with Hataka enamels using an airbrush. Then retouched the edges with a paint brush, using slightly dilluted Hataka acrylics (blue line).

It’s possible to notice on the few pictures available of thal plane that the white stripes closer to the wing roots and on the horizontal stabs had hard edges, probably because they were already in place by the time the D-day invasion stripes were painted. So, I’ve tried to replicate that.

Next time, I will try to add some paint chipping and weathering inside the stripes, and see how it goes.

Cheers, Ivan

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 303sqn said:

There is moving film of this Mustang:

About 46 seconds in and again about 57 seconds. Don't blink, you will miss it.

Thanks. I’ve watched this clip many many times during my build, to pick as many details as possible. Unfortunately, there’s no view in it of the starboard side of FB382. 

By the way, I think that the Mustang at 57 sec is another one (PK-C maybe?), as it lacks the number of missions on the nose, has a partial sky band on the fuselage and no serial number. But all those PK Mustangs look very similar, so based on pictures of them I’ve made an educated guess of what the camouflage of FB382 could be.

Cheers, Ivan

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2021 at 9:45 AM, IvanP said:

probably because they were already in place by the time the D-day invasion stripes were painted.

You are correct! When the Mustangs first arrived in the ETO, they received white spinners and  nose band, as well as white stripes on the inner wings and horizontal and vertical stabilizers on camouflaged aircraft to prevent them from being confused with Bf-109's . When camouflage was discontinued, the bands on the wings and stabilizers were replaced with black. What the others have said about your model goes double for me- his Mustang has always been one of my favorites.  Neat short clip of Gabby Gabreski while flying with the squadron. When he was with the 56th FG, he returned the favor, with some of his Polish friends flying P-47's.

Mike

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 72modeler said:

You are correct! When the Mustangs first arrived in the ETO, they received white spinners and  nose band, as well as white stripes on the inner wings and horizontal and vertical stabilizers on camouflaged aircraft to prevent them from being confused with Bf-109's . When camouflage was discontinued, the bands on the wings and stabilizers were replaced with black. What the others have said about your model goes double for me- his Mustang has always been one of my favorites.  Neat short clip of Gabby Gabreski while flying with the squadron. When he was with the 56th FG, he returned the favor, with some of his Polish friends flying P-47's.

Mike

Hi Mike. Many thanks for the explanation.

Ivan