Tempest Mk V

Wistos

Hi all,

First post and first model....

I have begun my adventure with the Eduard Tempest V. I began with the Brassin cockpit and after seeing how Eduard had depicted wires, I decided I had to do it myself....

So, here we have the cockpit framework with the oxygen and radio lines installed.  The tails of the wiring is left to install to its final locations, behind the IP and aft of the bulkhead behind the pilot. These are the only ones I could add at this point as they don’t appear to run further forward from references. There is a lot of cleanup work to still be done!

I am still unsure whether to open the panel on the side of the fuselage to allow views into the cockpit, but will decide later. I will add the rest of the wiring once I have the engine and front bulkhead assembly’s completed.

Any comments, or criticisms are welcome.

Wistos

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Dr Jimbo said:

Welcome to the forum. Looking good so far. This is next on the bench for me, so I’ll watch with great interest to see how it goes together.

James.

Thanks James, much appreciated.

8 hours ago, Nachtwulf said:

Welcome! Here is my pitiful thread on my Tempest build. Maybe something in it will be useful, but I doubt it. looking forward to more of yours!:pilot:

Thanks!

I wouldn’t call it pitiful, the part about the canon barrels was especially useful. Did you get it through weathering in the end?

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Wistos said:

Thanks!

I wouldn’t call it pitiful, the part about the canon barrels was especially useful. Did you get it through weathering in the end?

I am still waiting to finish the weathering. Health has been a problem. Nothing life threatening thankfully.

On 23/02/2021 at 02:11, Nachtwulf said:

I am still waiting to finish the weathering. Health has been a problem. Nothing life threatening thankfully.

Sorry to hear that, I look forward to seeing it completed when you manage to.

Chris

• Thanks 1

Okay, so after spending a lot of time thinking, I realised if I wanted to do the wiring detail properly I had started it too early as it wouldn’t flow through the bulkheads uninterrupted. So...off it all came, and after a fair bit of dry fitting, tweaking and cutting...I have half a Tempest!!

spacer.png

Edited by Wistos
Insert Image Link
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Wistos said:

Okay, so after spending a lot of time thinking, I realised if I wanted to do the wiring detail properly I had started it too early as it wouldn’t flow through the bulkheads uninterrupted. So...off it all came, and after a fair bit of dry fitting, tweaking and cutting...I have half a Tempest!!

spacer.png

this looks very good, are the fuel tanks part of the Brassin cockpit set? 

keep up the good work 👍 

rgds

John(shortCummins)

37 minutes ago, shortCummins said:

this looks very good, are the fuel tanks part of the Brassin cockpit set? 

keep up the good work 👍 

rgds

John(shortCummins)

Hi John,

Thanks for your compliments.

There is an oil tank (the rear most one) included in the brassin cockpit set, however these are the CMK ones. The detail on the eduard one was better apart from the filler area which was on a seam line and pretty poor to be honest. If you were using the brassin cockpit as standard you wouldn’t see the filler, so I wouldn’t hesitate to use it but as I was opening it all up I decided this was the best route. 

The CMK fuel tank set is only designed to have the upper panel opened, so I had to scratch build the framework from references to follow through between the 2 firewalls.

Chris

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Wistos said:

Hi John,

Thanks for your compliments.

There is an oil tank (the rear most one) included in the brassin cockpit set, however these are the CMK ones. The detail on the eduard one was better apart from the filler area which was on a seam line and pretty poor to be honest. If you were using the brassin cockpit as standard you wouldn’t see the filler, so I wouldn’t hesitate to use it but as I was opening it all up I decided this was the best route. 

The CMK fuel tank set is only designed to have the upper panel opened, so I had to scratch build the framework from references to follow through between the 2 firewalls.

Chris

then I'm even more impressed, I shall follow with interest

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

It might be your first build here but it’s plain to see that you’re not a beginner.

Great job so far.

John

Many thanks for the compliments John.

But unless you count half starting a 1/12 Tamiya R1 when I was 12 years old, yep, this is my first proper model build!

I am an mechanical engineer by trade, but I don’t think that makes much difference in this hobby. Having the interest, and patience is far important. 

Hopefully my airbrush extractor will arrive soon and I can finally decide on which airbrush to buy and then I can start getting some primer down...until then, more bits seem to keep getting removed...

Chris

• Like 4

• 5 months later...
14 hours ago, quangster said:

Hello Chris,

I’ve been following this thread with interest as I’m starting an Eduard Tempest V myself. Have you progressed on your project since your last posting?

Wishing you the best,

Cheers,

Quang

Hi Quang,

I progressed a little more and began test fitting the wings. The mounting tabs on the wings that mate with the fuselage were visible where I had cut the side of the cockpit open. Then life (and Summer!) got in the way. If you want pics, just let me know.

I haven’t started another project and am still determined to finish this one eventually. I look forward to seeing yours take shape,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Like you, I had the idea of building the Eduard Tempest with some panels removed to show the engine and some parts of the cockpit.

I bought the Brassin resin engine and cockpit together with the CMK oil and fuel tanks and am still contemplating which panels I should removed and still retain some integrity to the build. 
A few more pics of your project would be very welcome to help me making my decision.

Thanks,

Quang