Holland Submarine

Martian

As the Delfin build nears being ready for paint, the thought popped into my head that it might be fun to build one of the Mikro-Mir Holland submarine kits that the firm sent be as a thank you for helping them out with research on the subject. It will be interesting to be able to compare the two design styles of the submarines and, as they are the same scale, sizes.

001.jpg

002.jpg

Thus far, I have got the hull halves glued together and the panel lines re-defined, they are rather woolly on the kit as they come. Limber holes in the casing have been opened up, as have the viewing ports in the conning tower. I have fitted the etch parts for the bilge keels and the protective structures that fit forward and aft of the same.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

007.jpg

• Like 20

Gidday Martian, that's a good shot of the two of them. Remarkably similar in size. It would be interesting to compare them to a nuclear attack sub or missile boat. If you have some board or paper to draw an approximate silhouette of the modern subs for comparison.

The detail you've done on the first really brings it to life, and I agree with Rob above - Jules Verne would love them I think. Regards, Jeff.

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

Looking good - they are soooo Jules Verne.  It's still astonishing as to how much the bling has transfomed the first

Rob

I think the Jules Verne look is what sold the subjects to me in the first place. I'm a sucker for anything like that.

12 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Martian, that's a good shot of the two of them. Remarkably similar in size. It would be interesting to compare them to a nuclear attack sub or missile boat. If you have some board or paper to draw an approximate silhouette of the modern subs for comparison.

The detail you've done on the first really brings it to life, and I agree with Rob above - Jules Verne would love them I think. Regards, Jeff.

A 1/144 scale Vanguard class tridenet submarine would scale out at approximately three feet four inches long. These two models fit within the palm of my hand and are between four and five inches long. I think I need to take a look at Mikro's Peral as well.

Martian von Off to Evil Bay 👽

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Martian said:

A 1/144 scale Vanguard class tridenet submarine would scale out at approximately three feet four inches long.

OK at that length I'll let you off doing a drawing. 🙂 Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Interesting. I didn't know of this kit. My first thought when I saw this post was that I should get one and shorten it to build the Swedish Hajen.

Second thought was: that it is a bad idea. Hajen was longer than Holland, not the other way round.

Third thought was: 1/144, that is not my scale

hajen_04.JPG

I better get on with my 1/350 scratch build instead.  But I will follow this thread with interest.

Edited by Orso
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, beefy66 said:

Another one on the go you will get a reputation mind

Sorry we all know about that reputation  :whistle:

looking good so far

Stay Safe

beefy

I guessed you meant another reputation. :rolleyes:

Resigned of Mars 👽

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

You mean you collect reputations, like others collect butterflies or stamps? 😁 Regards, Jeff.

No, people give me these reputations, I don't seek them.

19 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

...or parking tickets

Thanks for your help Crisp.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looking very good Martian, i will have to crack on with my 1/72 Holland in resin which has stalled (due to the amount of cutting and sanding required LOL)

I am really looking forward to seeing the finished articles.

All the best Chris

• Like 1

Thanks Chris. I have the 1/72 resin kit which I hope to do as a cut away model, possibly with some lighting as well.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brandy said:

I always thought a submarine in Holland was called a car?

I'll get my coat.....

Ian

What are you Ian?

Martian 👽

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Over the last week, the Holland build has progressed to the point that it is now ready to go to paint, at least there are no kit parts left that have not been replaced, so its ready right? Its a lovely little kit as long as you take your time with it. I wonder if I could do a cutaway in this scale? :hmmm:

As always, thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

008-2.jpg

009-2.jpg

• Like 14

6 hours ago, Martian said:

I wonder if I could do a cutaway in this scale? :hmmm:

Gidday Martian, DO IT! You know you want to. 😀 It'll be good practice for your cutaway model of the OHIO class. 😁

Seriously, she looks a neat looking boat.

• Thanks 1

On 15/03/2021 at 07:27, Courageous said:

Looking rather good.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, predictably, I did go for the Peral kit, might as well have all four of the Mikro-Mir pioneer subs. That one is going to need some thinking through though as a lot of the exterior is in etch which is far too two dimensional.

I have been trying to find the RFI pictures I posted of my Resurgam but they seem to have disappeared into the ether. I will have to try and find the kit and do some more pictures of it.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

You know the shape of this reminds me of an old science fiction film does it remind you of going home Martian

ET Fone Home  👽

The details are really standing out though.  👍

Stay Safe

beefy

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

You know the shape of this reminds me of an old science fiction film does it remind you of going home Martian

Hardly, there hasn't been much call for submarines on Mars for several millions of years.

Martian 👽

• Haha 5