Odds and sods

Rob Nichols

Well, I'm a lock-down modeller. Used to build models all the time in my youth but stopped in my twenties (early 80s) when other interests took precedence. However, with lock-down, model making has made a return to my life. I'm building tanks again.

I thought I'd post a list of the new tools I've found really useful on my return to modelling:

• These Infini-model sanding sticks are perfect for sanding small parts and getting into difficult corners. I bought a pack which included a set of self-adhesive backed sand papers
  • I've recently brought dedicated sprue cutter and am a convert. Cutting items now puts so much less pressure on them so getting even the smallest part off the sprue is a lot more reliable. It took a little digging to find a cutter that was well reviewed and didn't break the bank but Hakko CHP-170 Micro Cutters fit the bill nicely for me.
  • The Works sell a cheap set of acrylic paints which are great for basic colour - especially brush applied colours for dioramas.
  • Vallejo are my go to for most of the colours applied to my models. I really like the packs - where you can get all the paints needed for a particular colour scheme - including primers and varnish. Great for me starting out with acrylic painting. But they also do a few other useful products. One I've just started using is their filler/putty. The long thin nozzle makes it very easy to apply small amounts precisely. 
  • I really like VMS products and their video on working with Photo Etch was really useful. I now use a piece of brass wire held in a pin vice to apply CA glue.

Do others use the same tools or have better alternatives?

• Like 2