LaGG 3 photos

72modeler

I just now discovered these two  photos on the World War Photos website. I have never seen a LaGG 3 with external tanks before. Photo captions simply state that the photos were taken in 1941. I think it would make a neat modeling project; does anybody have information on the airplane, drop tank installation or capacity? I'm guessing they are 30 gallons or thereabouts. I don't think they are incendiary stores, as I don't see a fuse or arming/detonating device.

Mike

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/ussr/vvs/lagg3/lagg-3-sep41/

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/ussr/vvs/lagg3/lagg-3-11-rs-82/

As an added bonus, I also found this very nice closeup photo of the Rs-82 rocket installation on a LaGG-3. Great modeling detail reference, methinks.

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/ussr/vvs/lagg3/lagg-3-rs/

Edited by 72modeler
added link, corrected spelling
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 72modeler changed the title to LaGG 3 photos

@DLinevitch,

Thank you so much for posting the fuel system diagram; is the capacity of the external tanks stated in the diagram? My Russian is limited to Da, Nyet, and Drugoye pivo! Welcome to Britmodeller and hoping you and yours are safe from the pandemic.

Mike

Thank you for posting those interesting photographs (and glad to see you made it through the 'Great Texas Freeze'; I live in Seguin)! The old Roden LaGG-3 kit has the drop tanks - I plan on doing one with the drop tanks. It gives it a bit of a different look.

Regards,

Jason

We are fine, Jason- thanks for asking. Our power never went off, but we lost water for three days, but we had filled our tubs and ice chests with water before the pressure went away, and we have an in-ground pool that we drew water from for the toilets, so we were in pretty good shape. I agree- I think a LaGG with drop tanks makes a very interesting model. My favorite one is LG-3, the one captured by the Finns and used for high-speed recon, IIRC, but a VVS LaGG with drop tanks is mighty tempting! 

Mike

This just in! Out of curiosity, I pulled my three 1/72 LaGG kits: Frog(RedStar); ICM; Toko, and the Toko LaGG3 kit number 136, has both Rs82 rockets and two drop tanks! The tanks measure 19,mm long and 6mm wide at their widest part. I don't know if they are accurate in size, but wanted to post the info in case somebody has decent 1/72 drawings that show the tanks. The Toko kit is labeled as being able to do a 1, 5,11, and 35 series variant.

FWIW, all 1/72 Toko/Roden LaGG-3 kits (series 1, 5, and 11; series 35; series 66; and a generic version) contain identical plastic regardless of what "series" the box says. In other words, all that changes is the box art, instructions, and decals. Because the kit was originally designed to cover all LaGG-3 series, if you build one, you end up with a massive amount of spare parts - the kit comes with three sets of tailplanes, two pairs of upper wing surfaces, two rudders, two canopies, three each of upper cowling, oil cooler intake, and exhausts, and so on, and so on... The variants all share a single pair of fuselage halves, and the series differences are accommodated by use of the correct small parts, and careful study of the instruction sheet. Generally, the instructions are specific to the series boxing, but there is one release with no series designation on the box, and in this one, all the variants are shown on one set of instructions, so in this case, they require very careful attention!

John

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, 72modeler said:

@DLinevitch,

Thank you so much for posting the fuel system diagram; is the capacity of the external tanks stated in the diagram? My Russian is limited to Da, Nyet, and Drugoye pivo! Welcome to Britmodeller and hoping you and yours are safe from the pandemic.

Mike

Hi, Mike. Well, I have never met the manuals for drop tanks. I rummaged in my shelves and here's what I found out about this photo.

spacer.png

This picture is taken from the Act On Control Tests of the LAGG-3 M-105 PA aircraft with the VISH-61P propeller, 23rd series No. 312123-2, manufactured at the plant No. 21. The document is dated May 1942. In the photo, the aircraft is in the form of an attack aircraft ( assault or sturmovik, as it is said in the document). The capacity of the drop tanks is 100L each. Instead of tanks, can be hung two 100kg bombs. 

Edited by DLinevitch
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DLinevitch said:

The capacity of the drop tanks is 100L each. Instead of tanks, can be hung two 100kg bombs. 

Wow! I got close with my 30 gallon guess! 100 liters is 26.4 gallons. I appreciate your looking up the information, DL!  Spasibo!

Mike