Very Interesting Hurricane stuff...

rob

The illustrations look very like those in the Francis K Mason book on the Hurricane first published around 30 years ago, as does the typeface of the heading.  Please be aware of copyright implications.

Rather fancy the Dagger-engined version though, especially with the IIc wing.

Edited by stever219
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, stever219 said:

The illustrations look very like those in the Francis K Mason book on the Hurricane first published around 30 years ago, as does the typeface of the heading.  Please be aware of copyright implications.

Actually it is a bit older than that.  I just checked my copy that I got from my now late Dad, and it was published in 1962.  You never know as it could actually be older than that!  It is a good reference source so I'm sure it has been republished several times over the years.

Later,

Dave

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, e8n2 said:

Actually it is a bit older than that.  I just checked my copy that I got from my now late Dad, and it was published in 1962.  You never know as it could actually be older than that!  It is a good reference source so I'm sure it has been republished several times over the years.

Later,

Dave

My copy is, I think, from RAFM Hendon in the early nineties and I can’t presently get at it to check.

Hmmmm.  Looks like two different editions by the same author.  My book does NOT have the variant diagram shown above, but in Appendix A it has it has a total of eight three view diagrams of "One Off" Hurricane Experiments.  In the front it says Doubleday edition 1962 and © Francis K. Mason, 1962.  He must have been able to come up with more info with the passage of time from 1962 to 1987.  I wonder if it is still being published today?

Later,

Dave

The author has written a host of books on a wide range of aviation subjects some of which do overlap as in this instance but the drawing/image featured in this post is from his work/book first published in 1987 and still very much subject to copyright protection.

His books 'Battle Over Britain' and 'The Avro Lancaster' are quite superb and well worth investing in if you don't already have them, and both were also re-published via the RAF Museum Hendon as limited editions back in 1990 and 1989 respectively.

Regards

Colin.

Very interesting! The most interesting for me is why the better view canopy variant was not adopted. When you read testimonies of pilots, the canopy of Hurricane was considered not comfortable at all. 

Please note some Soviet modifications, with rear gunner (on Russian web page I have found that about 100 were converted this way - I am not sure if it is true or not):

1551297031_hurr2-5.jpg

Replacements of armour

http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Modeling/Hawker/Hurricane/HurriProfiles/Part1/worn-mk7-nose.jpg

Hurricanesovietarmament2.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTyZrCyHeq_Mv79dikONIEimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2Yb3MIFLY-aCVh5qhry1

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

The 1962 book is the Monogram Monograph, which is considerably different from the later work for Aston/RAF Museum.  It also contains a set of performance charts not seen in the later work.  Hang on to it. 

You can count on that!  I also have the same editions for the Gloster Meteor and F-86 Sabre, and they aren't going anywhere until after I am gone.

Later,

Dave