1/48 Kinetic F-104G Starfighter- Jabog 34

Antb

Hi Folks, 

Finished this in the past day or two, just need to paint up a suitable base, but wanted to share my progress. 

This build is the 1/48 Kinetic F-104G kit and is absolutely fantastic. Its a beautiful kit, fits really well, fairly simple and was a pleasure to build. I enjoyed it that much that id do another in a heartbeat. 

Thanks go out to the chaps who gave me loads of help HERE- i got some awesome advice and led to me to procure AM rocket pods which i think look ace. To all of you who helped me, thanks again! 

Painted with Tamiya Khaki Drab, and Tamiya RAF WW2 Grey, not quite what is called out in the instructions but photos online show loads of different shades so im very happy. Underside was AK Extreme Aluminium, White Aluminium, Polished Aluminium, Titanium and Dark Aluminium to break up the silver. All overcoated with Tamiya X22 and Tamiya Flat. Wheels are from Eduard. I know the pitot on this bird was never red and white, but i really liked it so went for it. 

Weathering was Flory dark dirt and grime underneath, Abteilung oils for the panels lines top side, and for adding some fading to the top panels. 

Decals went down great with the exception of the NO STEP on the flaps, they didnt go down so well but the photos make them look worse than they actually are. 

Hope you enjoy the pics. 

Ant 

20210221-151152.jpg

20210221-151158.jpg

20210221-151208.jpg

20210221-151213.jpg

20210221-151227.jpg

20210221-151233.jpg

20210221-151254.jpg

20210221-151320.jpg

20210221-151405.jpg

20210221-151431.jpg

20210221-151352.jpg

• Like 45

Now that's what you call quality work! I like the choice of weapons. Rare that the loadout is seen and I've never seen it on a model. Gives your F-104G a distinctive look.

• Thanks 1

What a superb Hooter in one of my favourite Starfighter schemes. The colours look spot on. Sometimes it's good to use your own judgement on paints rather than what the instructions say...i tend to do that too. You've got a fantastic 104 to be proud of in your collection 👍

• Thanks 1

Great looking F-104, I do like the German camouflaged versions. I remember seeing the German Navy flying them at air shows in a two ship formation team called 'The Vikings' and it really was 10-15 minutes of noise and adrenaline rush.

Pete

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harry Callahan said:

Excellent made 104, looks fantastic.

Which RAF Grey did you meant? XF-82 or 83? Thank you

Thanks chaps. 

Harry, I used XF82, lightened with some buff for some fading. Although its not that visible in the photos sadly 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Peter W said:

Great looking F-104, I do like the German camouflaged versions. I remember seeing the German Navy flying them at air shows in a two ship formation team called 'The Vikings' and it really was 10-15 minutes of noise and adrenaline rush.

Pete

Took the words right off my screen! I remember The Vikings. The commentator would say, 'ladies & gentlemen, if you look to your right you'll see the Vikings approaching, theyr'e about 5 miles out'. Then a second later they'd come in from the left at 200ft & 500 knots & scare the carp out of everyone.

Anyway, I digress......That ^^^ is a cracking build, well done!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lovely work, workmanship is first class. Got one on the go at the moment, will be in a Navy scheme as I also remember the Vikings at Fairford. One doing a slow pass with everything dangling & his mate going so fast underneath him you heard a crack as he went past. Fabulous. 

Pete. 

• Thanks 1