Blasted CA glue! help request

Drew65

So I settled down for an afternoons crafting and used some ZAP thin CA. and it leaked out the part, and glued my damn thumb to the top of the kit I am half way through. I am about 140 hours of work so far and really cannot contemplate scrapping the model and dearly want to salvage this mess!

it was so badly stuck I had to soak a cotton bud in acetone to get my thumb off the model or it would have ripped my skin.

So....now I am left with this abortion!

KvLgJmI8kjyj98tm2K_zQpGWTxJ14vJuJB4mSfSr

I have left it to cure off and hope it will harden but I am just after some tips on what to do to fix this mess to a point it wont notice too much under layers of paint.

I don't know where to start. 

Shaving it with a knife, dremmel it, keep sanding with sticks until my arm falls off

Any tips?

Did I mention I hate thin CA Glue...oh yeah i did!

1 minute ago, Black Knight said:

Get yourself a tube of superglue remover - meant for releasing fingers but it works on removing it from plastic kits as well

He's right, but test it on your plastic first, as it can soften it too.  It'll be a long, tricky job, you you should be able to fix it with some care, careful sanding and scraping.  Extra-thin superglue is a PITA, so I've stopped using it.  I use medium, which has at least some surface tension, so won't spread out to 1 molecule-thick layers at every opportunity. :yes:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

He's right, but test it on your plastic first, as it can soften it too.  It'll be a long, tricky job, you you should be able to fix it with some care, careful sanding and scraping.  Extra-thin superglue is a PITA, so I've stopped using it.  I use medium, which has at least some surface tension, so won't spread out to 1 molecule-thick layers at every opportunity. :yes:

Thanks Mike

Funny you should say that but its literally just gone in the bin!

Somewhat from anger but I cant use it anymore if this is the result

4 minutes ago, Drew65 said:

Thanks Mike

Funny you should say that but its literally just gone in the bin!

Somewhat from anger but I cant use it anymore if this is the result

I thought you meant the kit at first, but am relieved to hear it's the glue. :yes:  It does have some uses, but for me they're so rare that the bottle is likely to dry up before I can get even a fraction of my money's worth :shrug:

I do have an errant amount of time to spare now, as I snapped an important part during assembly and its scrubbed. I have had to order a new sprue from revell so I will have plenty of time on me hands now as they are quoting up to 6 weeks seeing as we are now out of Europe lol

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

I thought you meant the kit at first, but am relieved to hear it's the glue. :yes:  It does have some uses, but for me they're so rare that the bottle is likely to dry up before I can get my money's worth :shrug:

haha oh gawd no, it would have to have melted through the body and burned through the desk to be completely irretrievable for that.

• Haha 1

In defence of thin CA it definitely has its uses, especially when it comes to fixing small PE bits and any small details, such as the dust filter brackets on my current 72nd scale Bf109F-4/Trop, but generally I tend to use either Medium or Thick as it is far less likely to spread where you don't want it to go. The trouble generally with all CA glues is that I find the bottles dry/turn solid long before I've even used a quarter of them. Good news if you make the stuff but a pain in the wallet otherwise.

Regards

Colin.