Westland Dragonfly HC4 - LF Models 1/72

CedB

Nice one, Ced; I'll definitely be watching.

I would give my eye teeth to have a go in a Dragonfly although, probably extremely sensibly, I don't think that there are any airworthy examples remaining. They were so different to their modern counterparts that it would be really interesting to be able to experience 'early days' helicopter flying - a twist-grip throttle with no rotor speed governing, a radial engine, fabric-covered blades on the early models, very limited payload, moveable ballast to keep the CofG within limits etc. Actually, I'm frightening myself even thinking about it! I'll just stick to my big 'n brash modern Sikorsky...

I've been tempted by this kit but, as modelling will be taking a back seat for the foreseeable future, I'll have to do it vicariously through this thread.

Jon

• Like 5

Hi Ced,

Page 2 already??!! I just can't keep up with your builds

Must try harder................

All the best

Geoff

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

:yahoo:

Thanks Heather - great tip, once the felt tip stopped slipping :D 

16 hours ago, Lewis95 said:

Oof. An Acetate sheet.... I've not tackled one of those yet! Think I'll need another Leffe before I do... 

Um, acetate? Not quite Lewis (see below) :) 

Acetate is easy though - paint the back (if you have to) and stick on with Klear or GG or something that goes clear - easy!

Apart from lining up, that's a pain…

14 hours ago, Mr T said:

This looks interesting. I am thinking of getting an RAF one to go with my Whirlykits RN one, so will be watching. 

Round the Horne brings back memories of Sunday lunch, I still laugh at it now. Amazing what Kenneth Williams and Hugh Paddick got away with when they were speaking Polari. 

Oooo, inni bold! :D 

13 hours ago, John Masters said:

I started one of the these a few months back for the Vietnam GB--French livery...

I really hope you have better luck and I am sure you have better modelling skills.  I gave up.

Mine now sits 1/3 done on the Shelf of Shame.  

I watch yours with great interest and hope.

Thanks for the warning John, I'll be more careful if you've had problems :) 

12 hours ago, perdu said:

Oh Ced what have you done?

16139410869324992066253236878283.jpg

I've only gone and opened the damned box again...

No, not soon but it may be this year.

After

12 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Oh Ced what have you done? #2

2021-02-21_09-11-33

:rofl:

Bill, Tony, now I see why the LF models kit caused so much excitement - those two look HARD! :) 

12 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I've got one of those somewhere too Tony.

Luckily I've forgotten where I buried it....!!

Keith 

:rofl:

8 hours ago, chrislowe said:

Can't wait to see this one, I love a helicopter. 

Glad you're feeling better. 

Thanks Chris :)

58 minutes ago, Jonners said:

Nice one, Ced; I'll definitely be watching.

I would give my eye teeth to have a go in a Dragonfly although, probably extremely sensibly, I don't think that there are any airworthy examples remaining. They were so different to their modern counterparts that it would be really interesting to be able to experience 'early days' helicopter flying - a twist-grip throttle with no rotor speed governing, a radial engine, fabric-covered blades on the early models, very limited payload, moveable ballast to keep the CofG within limits etc. Actually, I'm frightening myself even thinking about it! I'll just stick to my big 'n brash modern Sikorsky...

I've been tempted by this kit but, as modelling will be taking a back seat for the foreseeable future, I'll have to do it vicariously through this thread.

Jon

Thanks Jonners :) 

My very limited experience of flying helicopters was a wide circuit in an Engstrom at Thruxton. Hated it.

I mean, the thing has drive belts!

Better not say any more in case Crisp comes along later :) 

1 minute ago, Kitsticker said:

Hi Ced,

Page 2 already??!! I just can't keep up with your builds

Must try harder................

All the best

Geoff

Welcome Geoff - I'm getting back up to speed, hopefully :) 

• Haha 2

Now then, what's this?

50966863586_9370ac81eb_z.jpg

Thick paper, shiny surface. Could it be a transfer?

Only one way to find out:

50966974747_445db1ebea_z.jpg

Note that I tested on a spare bit. A rare moment of common sense.

After some plenging and poking:

50966979962_5e013350db_z.jpg

Er, that's a no then.

It's on now with GG Thin:

50968270988_de596f253c_z.jpg

Now then, I think you should always read and follow instructions.

Do as I say not as I do, of course.

'Cos if I'd followed instructions I would have stuck these tiny, tiny circles on the sides of the console before I assembled it:

50967036453_856b133d5b_z.jpg

Can you see them on the PE sheet?

Bit left of centre.

They've cleverly arranged the PE so that the 'dots' are in the right place.

guess you're supposed to put some glue somewhere and offer up the sheet to the plastic and then, somehow, cut the dots off the sheet.

Somehow.

No, there aren't any marks on the plastic.

I'm going to have to guess.

I guess.

Great.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

I've always liked a Dragonfly. I built a Mach2 one a few years ago for a Heli GB and it was a real challenge. I'm not sure wether this one is less challenging, probably different challenges for this build. Apart from the vac form and the loads of etch it looks more straightforward. 

@Dandie Dinmont I've been vaccinating people since before the New Year and have now done hundreds and nobody has fallen over. In fact from a couple of screamers (there has to be such a reference in a Ced build) everything has been straightforward. I appreciate your apprehension but apart from probably a sore arm for a day or two and maybe some flu like symptoms you should be OK. Sorry for the OT Ced. 

Will be following this build as I have a whirlybird one in the stash and I'm sure there's more to learn. Good luck with the build. 

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, 825 said:

I've always liked a Dragonfly. I built a Mach2 one a few years ago for a Heli GB and it was a real challenge. I'm not sure wether this one is less challenging, probably different challenges for this build. Apart from the vac form and the loads of etch it looks more straightforward. 

"Apart from the vac form" are words that bring fear to my heart :D 

27 minutes ago, 825 said:

@Dandie Dinmont I've been vaccinating people since before the New Year and have now done hundreds and nobody has fallen over. In fact from a couple of screamers (there has to be such a reference in a Ced build) everything has been straightforward. I appreciate your apprehension but apart from probably a sore arm for a day or two and maybe some flu like symptoms you should be OK. Sorry for the OT Ced. 

Will be following this build as I have a whirlybird one in the stash and I'm sure there's more to learn. Good luck with the build. 

Good news 825 (Chris? Sorry I've forgotten) :)

'Some flu like symptoms' is my experience but I think, like most of my mess ups, it's rare among others!

18 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

A bit late to the party, but better late than never, Pleased to see one of these on the go, my quite like hasn't risen to need status yet. That could change depending on how you find it. :)

Steve.

I'll try to increase your 'need' Steve.

Oooh, sounds a bit like a drug dealer… :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Let's try this:

50968328828_e645cb5b63_z.jpg

Regular readers will know that, if there's a rule in the photo, I'm trying to impress you with the tininess of the parts.

Unusual I know (fnaar!)

By applying this to the plastic:

50968331708_3573bcea5b_z.jpg

… I should be able to peel back the tape and stick the bits down with GG Thin:

50969151667_10dff557ce_z.jpg

Now all I need to do is cut off the nubs.

Without chopping off my fingers.

Simples.

• Like 14

For tiny bits like those, I use a slightly different approach: I lay the PE fret on some double sided adhesive tape, cut the parts off, remove the fret, carefully lift one part at a time with the tip of a sharp knife and place it on a non-sticky surface nearby, and eventually use one of those pick-up wax pencils to hold it, prep with glue and pose in place. Does this make any sense to you?

Ciao

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 825 said:

apart from probably a sore arm for a day or two and maybe some flu like symptoms you should be OK.

Everyone I know who've been jabbed have these and maybe fewer side effects.

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Thanks for the warning John

Most of my trouble had to do with the actual fit of the moulded pieces.  Maybe I received a poorly injected kit.  My enthusiasm waned.

• Thanks 1

Late as usual! Apologies Ced and no excuse really being 8 hours ahead! No popcorn here so got the rice crackers on the go. Looking forward to seeing how the nub cutting goes - sounds rather unpleasant!

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, CedB said:

They've cleverly arranged the PE so that the 'dots' are in the right place.

guess you're supposed to put some glue somewhere and offer up the sheet to the plastic and then, somehow, cut the dots off the sheet.

Somehow.

No, there aren't any marks on the plastic.

I'm going to have to guess.

I guess

Can you use them as masks? Hold the pe over the part, spray, stick pe on unpainted bits? Just a thought.

Btw, very gallant of you to point out that Bill and Tony's choppers look harder than yours!

Ian

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, giemme said:

For tiny bits like those, I use a slightly different approach: I lay the PE fret on some double sided adhesive tape, cut the parts off, remove the fret, carefully lift one part at a time with the tip of a sharp knife and place it on a non-sticky surface nearby, and eventually use one of those pick-up wax pencils to hold it, prep with glue and pose in place. Does this make any sense to you?

Ciao

Ah, the patient approach :D 

I might try that later…

3 hours ago, John Masters said:

Everyone I know who've been jabbed have these and maybe fewer side effects.

Most of my trouble had to do with the actual fit of the moulded pieces.  Maybe I received a poorly injected kit.  My enthusiasm waned.

Good news on the jabs John :)

Hopefully mine will fit better…

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I have a slightly different approach to tiny PE pieces also, I don’t use them.  🤣

Even better tip John :D 

2 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Yes Ced, love the Dragonfly, a good start, so I'll watch in..

Colin

Welcome Colin :)

2 hours ago, feifeitim said:

Late as usual! Apologies Ced and no excuse really being 8 hours ahead! No popcorn here so got the rice crackers on the go. Looking forward to seeing how the nub cutting goes - sounds rather unpleasant!

Nub sitting done! :)

1 hour ago, Brandy said:

Can you use them as masks? Hold the pe over the part, spray, stick pe on unpainted bits? Just a thought.

Btw, very gallant of you to point out that Bill and Tony's choppers look harder than yours!

Ian

Good idea Ian, but they're on now :) 

Er, fnaar snurf?

Had enough of tiny PE for today:

50969645761_1f8516c067_z.jpg

I think I might do some Swift transfers.

• Like 15
  • Haha 3

Some seriously small bits of PE there CeD and this brilliant work. The AVF/Britavia Dragonfly shown earlier forms the basis for the Whirlykits one I built for a GB last year. 

• Thanks 1

I have something similar on the bench, the AMP Sycamore. The first chopper I ever flew in as and air Cadet. Good kit, some reservations but he only game in town. Incidentally, I got  a three and a half hour flight that day, got back to the camp/airfield just in time for lunch. The rest of the squadron was seriously jealous!

Colin

• Like 5

1 hour ago, heloman1 said:

The rest of the squadron was seriously jealous!

Me too Colin, the first helicopter that flew into my conciousness was a large silver 'wind-up' toy Dragonfly that was on sale in FW Woolies and which I nagged my mom and dad into buying for me.

I proudly took it to school and flew it round with the clockwork wheels whizzing and rotors circulating.

The die was cast.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Oooh a flying piano!! Excellent. Lovely  and strange looking thing. For the PE I’d have taken a pic then popped each one off and eyeballed it.  I did like your way however although I would have chopped into my finger for sure cutting those little bits off. Do you need pilots btw. I have the ones from my hind a . I was waiting until I have more but there are a few so I can send em along if you like.

Johnny

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1