Westland Dragonfly HC4 - LF Models 1/72

CedB

I had said I wouldn't build another helicopter until I'd replaced my cabinet but hey, visiting furniture shops at the moment is probably a no-no. I'm also getting annoyed by the album I started for this which reminds me it's there every time I launch Flickr. I can do without irritation at the moment so here goes…

I bought this at one of the SMW shows because there was much excitement about the launch of the kit.

Strangely I can't find a build on BM so I may be pioneering, again. Up front with arrows up…

Part trees looks good.

50965357066_7523b7a7b2_z.jpg

50965465547_0d0ecca820_z.jpg

Nice detail:

50965466477_08fcd9781b_z.jpg

…but a small bit of flash on some of the smaller parts. And HOW MANY blades??

Nice clear parts and lots of PE:

50965363451_07c5177c98_z.jpg

I'm a bit worried about the transfers.

"…cut out each decal before you plenge" - bit Kenneth Williams eh? Oooer missus.

But "…don't use hard or sharp tools."?? How shall I cut them out?

I won't be using many of them anyway as I want to build the one in this old photo taken by my late Father-in-Law:

49301754126_acf6e21f39_z.jpg

According to helis.com, "XB252 : HC.4 Del to RAF Seletar Dec 1952. Far East Casevac Flt; 194 Sq; A&A"

Oooh look, parallel blades, helpful.

So, once I've worked out the instructions:

50964659863_3a6a57f191_z.jpg

I'll start this while I'm waiting for the Swift to dry.

• Like 35

Wowzas. Looks a bit short run. Popcorn is out, but I will eat quickly because it’s a Ced build!

Regards,

Adrian

PS presumably this means you are up and running again after your jab jitters...hope you are feeling better!

PPS “cut out each decal ... don’t use hard or sharp tools”. Looks like an excuse to add a butter knife to the tool cupboard then...

• Haha 9

My Life !! I've finally got a front row seat !! Love Dragonflys !

I'll need it 'cos I've got one of these on its way from Ukraine, and I can keep an eye out for......things to look out for....!

Need help with the popcorn, @AdrianMF ? I was in such a hurry to get here that I forgot to pick any up. My shout next time. 

Dunno if you're aware, @CedB, but the warning relates to the decal film covering the whole of the sheet, so you'll need to cut close to each decal to reduce the amount of film hanging off the decal.

Feel free to tell me not to try to teach you how to suck eggs.............

My recent experience with trying to decal an Avro 748 in 1/144 with similar decals didn't quite end in tears.......

Hope you've recovered from your plague protection !

Rog 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If Ali is going to plenge I'd better make sure you don't get caught in the backlash Ced.

Here borrow my umbrella.

Nice Model, far nicer than my as yet unstarted Dragginfly from a uncertain source with unusual window mouldings.

The decals, transfers here at my house, will yes will need placing over gloss surfaces.

No need to worry too much about cutting very close to the markings if you use a very sharp blade on your plenger.

Plenger? Where did I get that from?

Oh well, I'm at the bar hoping to find Adrian and the popcorn.

• Haha 7

The first helicopter I ever saw was a Dragonfly when I was about 10, so I’ll have to watch for sentimental reasons.

Glad you’re feeling better.

John

PS Talking of Kenneth Williams, I’ve recently started listening to Round the Horn on R4X, much better than Beyond our Ken IMHO.

J Peasemold Gruntfuttock,  “ go up the BBC and get your ‘ands on Judith Chalmers “

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, CedB said:

So, once I've worked out the instructions:

Ced, I think A is first, followed by B, then C, which should all be done before D though I shall defer to the more knowledgeable and skilful members of this parish. 

If you know your alphabet , it shouldn't be too difficult though if you end up using your fingers, that's counting, not alphabet - they're different!

glad to have been of assistance.

• Haha 13

Don’t IKEA deliver, just go on the inter web and ( are IKEA still in the uk after brexit? ) you could be flat packing in days. ( but if you get a cabinet with doors make sure you secure it to the wall)

A bit ambivalent about helicopters love the gunships dislike the civilian ones, somewhere in the middle with the rest. But do I enjoy @CedBs builds, so here I am.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ooh another Ced chopper!

I'm in, I'll be at the bar with our Bill. Peanuts for me though, rather than popcorn. Or maybe a bag of porkie scratchings!

Ian

Why did auto spell change porkie to pookie? Sounds foul!

• Like 2

Don't worry lads, I'm here to stock the bar with fine beers and strong liqours. Self service only mind. 

Oh that lovely aroma? That's my beautiful 6.6% Leffe. Lovely beer but I can't promise you'll be sober enough to remember the build. 

Speaking of builds, someone said something about a helicopter? 

• Haha 3

Welcome all! :) 

5 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Wowzas. Looks a bit short run. Popcorn is out, but I will eat quickly because it’s a Ced build!

Regards,

Adrian

PS presumably this means you are up and running again after your jab jitters...hope you are feeling better!

PPS “cut out each decal ... don’t use hard or sharp tools”. Looks like an excuse to add a butter knife to the tool cupboard then...

Thanks Adrian :) 

Short run it is… a bit of flash, no locating pins BUT nice details and loads of PE.

Sadly, no painting guide for the internals - the BM walk around of the HR5 at the helicopter museum seems to be fifty shades of grey… or faded black. Yuk.

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Bit earlier on parade for this one Ced - no catching up to do!

Can't wait to see you plenge.... 🤣

Keith

I'll try to remember to issue a plenging warning Keith :D 

4 hours ago, roginoz said:

My Life !! I've finally got a front row seat !! Love Dragonflys !

I'll need it 'cos I've got one of these on its way from Ukraine, and I can keep an eye out for......things to look out for....!

Need help with the popcorn, @AdrianMF ? I was in such a hurry to get here that I forgot to pick any up. My shout next time. 

Dunno if you're aware, @CedB, but the warning relates to the decal film covering the whole of the sheet, so you'll need to cut close to each decal to reduce the amount of film hanging off the decal.

Feel free to tell me not to try to teach you how to suck eggs.............

My recent experience with trying to decal an Avro 748 in 1/144 with similar decals didn't quite end in tears.......

Hope you've recovered from your plague protection !

Rog 

Thanks Rog, helpful :) 

I shall have my butter knife at the ready.

4 hours ago, giemme said:

Did someone mention popcorn?  :popcorn:

Ready, steady, go!

Ciao 

Welcome Giorgio :) 

4 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

First page for once. Excellent! Look forward to seeing you tackle this with your accustomed mastery Ced and glad to see you’re up and running again. I get my COVID jab on Tuesday and am now slightly apprehensive!

Craig. 

Thanks Craig :) 

I wouldn't worry about your jab - the needles are really sharp and I didn't feel a thing. From what I'm reading less than 10% are getting other than minor side effects, like sore arms.

4 hours ago, AndrewW said:

I'm in too, what's not to love about a Dragonly . 

Cheers Andy

Uh, it's not the prettiest is it? Endearing though and I like it.

Mind you, I also have a McCulloch MC-4 on my wishlist - now that IS a weird looking thing - so I'm probably not to be trusted…

4 hours ago, cngaero said:

I've got to join this one for inspirational purposes. Mine has been sitting in the far corner of my workbench taunting me to open the box. 

Good luck with your build. 

Chris. 

Aha! Another one! Hopefully inspiration will ensue Chris :) 

3 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Sitting in if you don't mind.

I like a good plenge.

Cheers,

Alistair

Happy to see you Ali :)

3 hours ago, perdu said:

If Ali is going to plenge I'd better make sure you don't get caught in the backlash Ced.

Here borrow my umbrella.

Nice Model, far nicer than my as yet unstarted Dragginfly from a uncertain source with unusual window mouldings.

The decals, transfers here at my house, will yes will need placing over gloss surfaces.

No need to worry too much about cutting very close to the markings if you use a very sharp blade on your plenger.

Plenger? Where did I get that from?

Oh well, I'm at the bar hoping to find Adrian and the popcorn.

Thanks Bill :D 

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

The first helicopter I ever saw was a Dragonfly when I was about 10, so I’ll have to watch for sentimental reasons.

Glad you’re feeling better.

John

PS Talking of Kenneth Williams, I’ve recently started listening to Round the Horn on R4X, much better than Beyond our Ken IMHO.

J Peasemold Gruntfuttock,  “ go up the BBC and get your ‘ands on Judith Chalmers “

Thanks John.

I agree that Round the Horn is better - Mr Williams got a bit weird IMHO :) 

2 hours ago, hendie said:

Ced, I think A is first, followed by B, then C, which should all be done before D though I shall defer to the more knowledgeable and skilful members of this parish. 

If you know your alphabet , it shouldn't be too difficult though if you end up using your fingers, that's counting, not alphabet - they're different!

glad to have been of assistance.

Ah, thanks hendie, got it 🙄 :D 

Trouble is, the parts aren't numbered on the trees and you have to keep referring back to the front page.

The trees are very similar and, by the time half the parts are gone, I'm going to be guessing.

Wait though - I think it was Heather that wrote the numbers on the trees - aha!

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

Don’t IKEA deliver, just go on the inter web and ( are IKEA still in the uk after brexit? ) you could be flat packing in days. ( but if you get a cabinet with doors make sure you secure it to the wall)

A bit ambivalent about helicopters love the gunships dislike the civilian ones, somewhere in the mid do me with the rest. But do I enjoy @CedBs builds, so here I am.

Good point Mark, but they don't take old stuff away. I have an old one to get rid of so I may have to wait until the charity shops (or council) are collecting again.

1 hour ago, Brandy said:

Ooh another Ced chopper!

I'm in, I'll be at the bar with our Bill. Peanuts for me though, rather than popcorn. Or maybe a bag of porkie scratchings!

Ian

Why did auto spell change porkie to pookie? Sounds foul!

Welcome Ian :) 

55 minutes ago, Lewis95 said:

Don't worry lads, I'm here to stock the bar with fine beers and strong liqours. Self service only mind. 

Oh that lovely aroma? That's my beautiful 6.6% Leffe. Lovely beer but I can't promise you'll be sober enough to remember the build. 

Speaking of builds, someone said something about a helicopter? 

Ah, Leffe. I remember that, vaguely :) 

If we ever get back to SMW I'm sure CC will introduce you to some of his 'specials'. 

They're pretty good too.

From what I remember…

24 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Room for one more? I'll sit by the window and social distance

Stay safe          Roger

Of course Roger, good to see you :) 

Something has been started. 'A'

50965552578_02cef16564_z.jpg

• Like 11

This looks interesting. I am thinking of getting an RAF one to go with my Whirlykits RN one, so will be watching. 

Round the Horne brings back memories of Sunday lunch, I still laugh at it now. Amazing what Kenneth Williams and Hugh Paddick got away with when they were speaking Polari. 

• Like 1

I started one of the these a few months back for the Vietnam GB--French livery...

I really hope you have better luck and I am sure you have better modelling skills.  I gave up.

Mine now sits 1/3 done on the Shelf of Shame.  

I watch yours with great interest and hope.

• Sad 2