Claims for Supersonic Boom caused by Typhoon

JohnT

It’s up here on the BBC web site

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-56125192

I suppose it was inevitable but after the Concorde tests I wonder how many are genuine. A very long time ago I read that Concordes proving flights were publicised in advance with route date and time. A number of damage claims came in each time she flew.  There was some bemusement though that a similar number of claims came in for sonic boom damage to property the day they took her out of the hangar only for her to go unserviceable and straight back in again. Must have been some pushback at over Mach 1 !!!!!!!

• Haha 1

Yes I saw the item. I was at Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge on that day, just getting out of my car when this happened. I had previously thought that a sonic boom would be like a low rumble - but no, this was like a small explosion! Very loud indeed, and there right above me was the vapour trail from the jet. A Pararmedic in the parking bay across the road sussed it straight away, where I was convinced someone's tyre had exploded!

SD

• Like 1

Once upon a time, in Arad a patch of F-4 Kurnas caused a broken glass city!

It is a matter of local weather too, how the boom is really built up.

In Israel I had the chance to hear them in a variety like blossoms.

Happy modelling

• Like 3

To be honest this thread is looking a bit one sided...centre of London or other city meh nobody even noticed but if you are say mid Essex then it might be more unusual to hear bangs such as that and if it happened to correspond with i dunno breaking a window then probably fair enough but a flat screen tv with a plastic window ....hmm🤔

• Haha 1

Popular misconception of sonic booms - most people think it only occurs as a localised 'bang' when the aircraft first breaks the sound barrier but in fact it is the shockwaves from supersonic flight which trail behind the aircraft like a 'bow wave' so you'll hear the bang wherever the wave hits the ground. A supersonic aircraft can affect a surprisingly large area with its 'sonic carpet' and at lower levels it can cause a lot of damage to windows, greenhouses and sheds!

I would want somebody to compensate me for that kind of damage, but interrupting my workout probably doesn't count :lol:

• Like 2

To make things more scientifically clear:

You get a sonic boom if the pressure ratio is 2 or above.

This means that even in each human body this occurs.

A sneezing and a fad are sonic booms.

So, for equal law and equal right, try to get a compensation from government or RAF for a fad!

Happy smile

On 21/02/2021 at 20:38, junglierating said:

As an aside I live on the very low (relatively) flight path to the worlds superior Rotary wing factory ....I keep hoping they will drop something on my very old shed.😜

Not Westland (contains Westland parts I suppose...), but a Chinook dropped an emergency escape hatch up on the Mendips a few years ago!

When they used to fly low level over the Mendip foothills (directly over my house), they flew so low they shook my models/books/paintings off my shelves 😂

Ridiculous. The Typhoon lads or lasses are up there risking their lives to defend our freedom yet some people want to try and claim money because they didn’t like the big loud bang. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Riot said:

Ridiculous. The Typhoon lads or lasses are up there risking their lives to defend our freedom yet some people want to try and claim money because they didn’t like the big loud bang. 

That very much depends on if said bang broke anything of value ...its all relative think how you might feel 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Well, I actually have experienced a "sonic boom", with sufficient warning to know when it was coming. It sounded like frying bacon, and faded as the source moved further away from where I was observing about 2 miles up range.