Jeep Micky Mouse Camo

Oriskany

Seems unlikely to me.  Jeeps generally remained in Olive Drab unless they became so tatty that repainting was required or they were converted in some way that repainting became necessary.

I believe the wider question of Mickey Mouse in Italy has come up before here.  It didn't fit the theatre colour specifications pre-late-1944, which required Light Mud with a darker disruptor in broad bands: unpainted OD often being used for that.  In late 1944 (Aug/Sept?) SCC15 became the authorised colour as the terrain became darker in the North.  So if you had a plain OD Jeep then it would have stayed that way.  If you had a Jeep that was already in Light Mud + OD then repainting in SCC15 is probable. Whether with a disruptive pattern is an interesting question.  A jeep is so small and low that a disruptive pattern serves little purpose in breaking up the vehicle's outline as there is very little metalwork to work with.

B Vehicles shipped out from the UK already in Mickey Mouse may have stayed that way and I believe that photo evidence has been produced here of British-built vehicles such as Tilles and 15cwt trucks in Italy in Mickey Mouse.  But Jeeps in the UK would not generally have been repainted.

So I'm thinking that your most likely colour for a Commonwealth Jeep in Italy will be plain old Olive Drab, or perhaps OD with Light Mud depending on your timeframe before or after late 1944.

@Mike Starmer will be the guru here.  What he says goes!

• Thanks 1

Thanks you very much.

This project will start in the next weeks, station from a March '43 Willys MB  . Obviously the base color will be OD, but I would like to do something different. A few years ago a Kiwi jeep with original Micky Mouse camouflage still visible, probably OD and black, was found in Tuscany, so I'm looking for more informations to do a nice restoration job. A two-tone OD / Light Mud might be an alternative, but I need some images for reference, even for tactical and unit markings.

Just because it was found in Tuscany doesn't mean it was originally there.  Thousands of Jeeps were sold off post war (or just plain stolen from equipment dumps!) and they got everywhere.  But Kiwi in Italy would seem to fit.  And OD with Mickey Mouse would accord with NWE and probably late Italy policy for B Vehicles.  I guess I'm just surprised that anyone bothered with it on Jeeps.  The sides are only inches deep, although the bonnet/hood is a reasonable size and the OD-black contrast isn't the best.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst MM scheme didn't fit the 1943 colour regulations a drawing No.A/185 for the jeep in Light Mud and black was issued.   There are pictures of these.  The MM type scheme was used from September 1943 in Italy as the MEGO for July 1943 specifically staes that dark painted vehicles from the UK in their schemes are acceptable, no repainting needs to be carried out unless due or necessary.   I have one picture of a new Jeep having the MM style paintwork being applied, this looks to be black over the Olive Drab.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

New to 'MM'?  Google MTP. 46/4A and you will find a lot of information.  Also try  searching for  'Camouflage Chart No.15', which is a poster type sheet showing the various forms of applying the scheme.  The term Mickey Mouse was actually only applicable to one particular method of applying the basic scheme where some of the intersecting circular spots resemble the side profile of the Disney 'Mickey Mouse' character.  Or you could mail me at  mikestarmer18 at gmail dot com  then I can send you copy of the chart and some pictures of the pattern in use.

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Mike Starmer said:

I am not sure I understand your question.  Do you mean in proportion of usage or or which areas of operation?

Proportion yes. How many us od vs British od.