1:48 North American Mustang III

Dunny

Hi All,

My latest completion is Tamiya's lovely Mustang III. El Mojo has been somewhat depleted of late, so I was looking for a straightforward build - I didn't bother with a WIP for this one (for the aforementioned reason). I chose to model this as GA*Q of 112 Sqn, based in Italy in 1944. Here's a photo of the aircraft:

Mustang-GAQ.jpg

This aircraft was a little unusual in that the Sky identification band was painted out (except around the serial number), and it did not have the usual yellow leading edge stripes. Although there is much speculation around the camouflage colours for these aircraft I've chosen to model the aircraft in DG/OG over MSG. Rather curiously, Tamiya's decals provide the incorrect serial number for this aircraft (FB309, whereas any fool knows it should be FB247 🤣). Never fear, a quick firtle in the spares box yielded the appropriate digits).

The kit was an absolute joy to put together - it was pretty much OOB with the exception of a lovely instrument panel from Yahu. I drilled out the ID lights on the underside of the wing and mixed appropriate paints with Krystal Kleer - I think it worked rather well. Anyway, on with the photos!

20210221-133656.jpg

20210221-133713.jpg

20210221-133732.jpg

20210221-133742.jpg

20210221-133939.jpg

Here's a lovely pair of shark mouths to warm @corsaircorp's frozen cockles (I hope you've now defrosted a bit Alain?) - one with her 112 Sqn forebear:

20210221-133815.jpg

Finally, who doesn't love a family photo? One with her kissing cousin from 3 Sqn RAAF, later also based in Italy:

20210221-133855.jpg

I've thoroughly enjoyed this build, and with mojo at much more normal levels I can gird my loins for a more challenging project. But what, you may ask??!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 40
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Farmerboy said:

Wonderful Mustang, very realistic paint finish, the B/C has the same appeal as the D, it’s a wonderful aircraft, good job!

Thanks for the kind words - much appreciated!

That Mustang is gorgeous,  I love the unusual scheme you have chosen .  Looks absolutely fantastic especially withe the other models.  Great work fella and come you tease whats next then ??? Glad the Mojo levels have returned.

Great work matey

Chris

• Thanks 1

That is lovely Roger,....... I hope that it did the trick and helped get your mojo back. The Tomahawk is rather tasty too mate,

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

That Mustang is gorgeous,  I love the unusual scheme you have chosen .  Looks absolutely fantastic especially withe the other models.  Great work fella and come you tease whats next then ??? Glad the Mojo levels have returned.

Great work matey

Chris

Thanks for the kind words Chris! I think I'm ready for the Fffffulmar...

Cheers,

Roger 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tonyot said:

That is lovely Roger,....... I hope that it did the trick and helped get your mojo back. The Tomahawk is rather tasty too mate,

Cheers

Tony

Tony,

Thanks for the kind words - it's a great kit! I seem to remember enjoying the Tomahawk too!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Tony,

Thanks for the kind words - it's a great kit! I seem to remember enjoying the Tomahawk too!

Cheers,

Roger

I enjoyed the Tomahawk too,.... lovely kit,.... but ballsed up the paintwork and put it back in the box! 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, tonyot said:

I enjoyed the Tomahawk too,.... lovely kit,.... but ballsed up the paintwork and put it back in the box! 

I feel your pain...

• Like 1

That's great Roger !!

I really enjoyed the family pics !! And the 2 black Sqdn birds...

Defrosted we are... from minus 12° last week, we now have 17° this week end...

Something is going mad up there... There was barbecue on the 20th of Feb...:fool:

Is this astonishing if I told you that I have almost all the types flown by 112th in the stash ???

You did great on the 'Stang Roger !!

Congrats !!

CC

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

That's great Roger !!

I really enjoyed the family pics !! And the 2 black Sqdn birds...

Defrosted we are... from minus 12° last week, we now have 17° this week end...

Something is going mad up there... There was barbecue on the 20th of Feb...:fool:

Is this astonishing if I told you that I have almost all the types flown by 112th in the stash ???

You did great on the 'Stang Roger !!

Congrats !!

CC

Thanks Alain - glad the weather is being kinder to you. Do all 112 types wear the sharkmouth? Do share a pic!

Cheers,

Roger

3 hours ago, RMCS said:

Excellent 

38 minutes ago, Paulaero said:

That's a great finish, a Mustang and a shark mouth , what s not to like 😀 

Thanks for the kind words - much appreciated!

2 hours ago, Epeeman said:

Wonderful work on your Mustang, Roger.

Really like the faded/dusty finish - well done.

Regards

Dave

Thanks for the kind words Dave - much appreciated!

Cheers,

Roger

1 hour ago, Sky Keg said:

Love the Shark Mouth motif on the Mustang Roger!!!!!  It`s not often you see a Mustang showing off it`s “fangs”. :coolio:  Great results by the way. :clap2:

Mike

Thanks for the kind words Mike - much appreciated!

Cheers,

Roger

12 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

A very nice look bunch of Sharks, Roger, I'm liking those a lot. :)

Steve.

Thanks for the kind words Steve - much appreciated!

• Like 1