Brendan (Paddy) Finucane's MkVb Spitfire - Tamiya - 1/48

Hi All - finished up my latest this weekend - Tamiya's older MkV spit. In spite of it's age, it's still quite a nice kit and goes together very well. I added Eduard's cockpit details set and landing flaps. 

QHk2p14.jpg

QDENNAD.jpg

wn3nWjZ.jpg

kqZ35CY.jpg

WkSf3QG.jpg

7quQFGm.jpg

u2qtVTC.jpg

fEqgI8r.jpg

nFqrObY.jpg

xI9HSNE.jpg

TKoSOi4.jpg

Y1H27br.jpg

Ylpps6g.jpg

1oPYWkx.jpg

UtD8yGK.jpg

Paddy Finucane is a childhood hero of mine - a remarkable pilot and natural leader who still holds the title of the youngest wing commander in RAF history - He was a hero of the Battle of Britain and was credited with 28 aerial victories - making him possibly the highest scoring ace at that point in the war. As an Irishman myself, it's great to finally have this in the collection.  

As always I'm far from 100% happy with the finished model - I took a number of attempts to find and mix colours I was happy with - I used Mr Color Lacquers and I feel that their RAF colours are a little off. I think next time I'll try a different brand for these.  

I used HGW wet transfers for the stencils which worked like a dream - I used a Fundekals set for the scheme which were mostly fine but the main roundels were very thick and wouldn't confirm to the surface - I ended up striping these and using a spare set from an Eduard kit. I had issues with canopy - both getting to fit and then some paint got into the inside which had to cleaned off.  I experimented a lot on this using oils for some heavy weathering - some of which looks good but not that happy with all of it. But it's all part of the learning experience. I was happy with the exhaust stacks which I usually make a mess of - they came out nice this time.  I know alot of folks don't approve of the flaps down look on the spitfire but I wanted one example for myself - however they were alot of effort and I'm not sure they actually add a great deal to the finished model - so I doubt I'll do this again for the other spits in the stash.  Overall though, I'm happy enough and she looks good on the shelf :)

Feel free to share any feedback - Cheers - John

• Like 41
  • Thanks 4

The overall weathering and look of this Spitfire is very well done, Congratulations John. 

Can I just enquire about the use of the lower wing Type C roundel? One would think that the earlier and larger Type A would still be in use if Type A1 roundels were painted on the fuselage sides. (note - C Type roundels appeared post June 1942). 

Cheers and well modelled... Dave 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

The overall weathering and look of this Spitfire is very well done, Congratulations John. 

Can I just enquire about the use of the lower wing Type C roundel? One would think that the earlier and larger Type A would still be in use if Type A1 roundels were painted on the fuselage sides. (note - C Type roundels appeared post June 1942). 

Cheers and well modelled... Dave 

Thanks Dave - yes you’re quite correct - I had to compromise and use the later type as the type As provided by fundekals refused to conform and it became clear that they just were not going to work - I had the later type there so just used them / a shame as it’s not accurate but I thought using the later type was better than no roundel at all. 

I can agree on some things with you but not on others.

I agree that the colors look a bit strange, but just a little too small. If you allow me a tip, I think the Tamiya references for the Ocean Gray XF-82 and the Dark Green XF-81 are a good option.

What I don't agree with is how happy you are with the end result. It seems incredibly good to me, with an enviable use of oils to offer a used and weathered look.

Yes, I would like to have one like it on my display.

Andrés S.

• Like 1

Nicely finished Spitfire and, as you say, the old Tamiya kit still builds well. You’re never going to please all with a heavy weathered finish but the only one that has to be is you. We see it once, you’ve got it in your cabinet for a long time.

Pete

• Like 1

I would be proud of this Spitfire had I build it, but then again I hear you...I’m my own worst critic also when the model is wrapped up. No expert in RAF Colors but I can’t say they look off, quite the opposite, your model is spectacular.

i would like to ask you if the patina on the upper Colors were made with oil dot and what did you use to replicate those long black stains on the lower surface?

Thanks and congrats on your Spitfire 

• Like 1

Excellent Mk Vb with a very convincing finish and weathering!

The flaps were virtually never down, except during the actual landing phase – they were retracted as soon has the wheels hit the ground, so as to not interfere with the airflow through the radiators during taxying.

However, if they were deployed, for service or whatever, the flap actuators would be conspicuously peeking up through a spring-loaded cover on the wing upper surface…;-)

On the other hand, the elevators were almost without exception drooping on a parked Spitfire, unless there was a locking bar attached to the stick.

Magnificent model, though!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

Paddy Finucane is a childhood hero of mine - a remarkable pilot and natural leader who still holds the title of the youngest wing commander in RAF history - He was a hero of the Battle of Britain and was credited with 28 aerial victories - making him possibly the highest scoring ace at that point in the war. As an Irishman myself, it's great to finally have this in the collection. 

An absolute hero of mine too. He was a very complex man. I read that he went to confession every time he shot someone down as he wrestled with his human morals. He was like Albert Ball  VC in WW1  he hated ,as Ball said, "this beastly killing" .

Paddy Finucane's last words to his squadron were " This is it chaps!" He was brought down by small arms fire  and was too low to bail out crashing in to the Channel. He knew he was almost certain to die. What bravery! One wonders what some of these men would have contributed to the world post war had they lived. 

It's a great model and it's nice to see a personal tribute to a great man.

I also class as heroes such pilots as  Brian Kingcombe, Geoffrey'Boy' Wellum , Peter Townsend and Bob Stanford-Tuck amongst others. 

I feel such men are true heroes of their generation. It's a shame that the only heroes offered to people today are reality TV stars. 

Thank you for showing this excellent model!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Andrés S. said:

I agree that the colors look a bit strange, but just a little too small. If you allow me a tip, I think the Tamiya references for the Ocean Gray XF-82 and the Dark Green XF-81 are a good option.

What I don't agree with is how happy you are with the end result. It seems incredibly good to me, with an enviable use of oils to offer a used and weathered look.

Thanks Andrés - I've actually used the tamiya colours before but found them to be overly dark - Mr Color are a little better but still quite off. I've bought some AK Acrylics as I've heard they are quite good so we'll see how I go with them - endless experimentation! I think it's a subject worth exploring as I have quite a few models in the stash that use this colour scheme. Thanks for your compliments on the oils - I'm still finding way with using these - it's now more a case of learning when and where not to use them,

10 hours ago, Holzhamer said:

i would like to ask you if the patina on the upper Colors were made with oil dot and what did you use to replicate those long black stains on the lower surface?

Thanks :) Some of the modulation was done during the painting stage with the airbrush - further modulation was done with oils - patches of white, green, browns and blues were applied and blended in. I do these colours one at a time - which I find gives me more control over the final look - rather then applying a few at a time. I start with lighter colours and work my way down to the darker ones. Then burnt umber and dark grey were used for more obvious weathering - staining and dirt etc. 

The oil stains on the underside was done over a satin clear coat - applied some thinned oils to the top and these were streaked down the length using a large brush lightly moistened with thinner - this was done a few times with different colours - I think I used Mig oil brushers - starship filth , buff and burnt umber. Hope this helps :) 

4 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

An absolute hero of mine too. He was a very complex man. I read that he went to confession every time he shot someone down as he wrestled with his human morals. He was like Albert Ball  VC in WW1  he hated ,as Ball said, "this beastly killing" .

Paddy Finucane's last words to his squadron were " This is it chaps!" He was brought down by small arms fire  and was too low to bail out crashing in to the Channel. He knew he was almost certain to die. What bravery! One wonders what some of these men would have contributed to the world post war had they lived. 

Thanks Walter - you maybe interested in this recent documentary screened on Irish Television which is available to view on youtube: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ah! You left the flaps down! 😱 

Lovely build. I like the fact you added the "cheese cutter" aerials. What did you use by the way? I plan on using tippet line on mine. This is great inspiration to get my almost finished Spit Vb through the finish line.

Cheers,

Wlad

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wlad said:

Lovely build. I like the fact you added the "cheese cutter" aerials. What did you use by the way?

Thanks Wlad - I used uschi line medium for the aerials - it’s that stretchy stuff that makes it quite easy to use - with some ca accelerator, this was a pretty quick job. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

I've bought some AK Acrylics as I've heard they are quite good so we'll see how I go with them - endless experimentation!

It is true that the paints of AK Real Color are of very good quality, at least for me. Very easy to apply and with a very good finish. I have several references from the range of aerial colors and I really liked them. Although the RAF Ocean Gray and Dark Green I don't have them and I can't say if they are more or less exact than Gunze's.

As you say, experimentation we can never stop doing.

Andrés S.

P.S.- Sorry, I thought you were talking about AK Real Color instead of Acrylics. I also have some paints from these references but the Real Color are similar in formulation to the Gunze or Tamiya and I prefer them over acrylic without any doubt.

Edited by Andrés S.
  • Like 1