HMS Cumberland in 1/350 questions

MatthewAV8B

Good Evening folks , hope you are having a splendid Friday evening. :smile:

I have recently picked up the Trumpeter 1/350 HMS Cornwall and I'm interested in doing it up to represent HMS Cumberland (home for me) in the period around the Battle of the River Plate.

So just a few things , namely :

1.  Schemes
  2. Equipment 
  3. Any actual differences between HMS Cornwall and Cumberland that I can ammend with scratch build or aftermarket

1) I think this one would be appropriate.. Found on my own internet searchings over dinner this evening... full credit to here : https://www.world-war.co.uk/Kent/cumberland.php

spacer.png

Could anybody advise this colour? I know there are some real Naval paint gurus here so I would love to hear your input. :think::laugh:

2) Are there any extras I can pickup to match the configuration above? Or if anyone knows what I get in the box? I cant find much online myself. 

Ive seen the recent posts regarding a similar build from Rob and have been taking plenty of notes. But I just wanted to see if there was any knoweldge about the Cumberland I could muster!

Thanks again - Happy Landings.

Hi Matthew

Good choice!

1) Schemes - as depicted - she is in 507C with the next plate on from Sept 1940 suggesting 507A for hull, retaining 507C upper works.  It's possible that @dickrd would be able to guide as to when the hull might have been repainted, but it looks certain that it's one of these 2 choices

2) Equipment/Extras.  Depends what level of accuracy you are aiming for and how much you want to spend.  For an exact reckoning as to what is in the kit check out https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10585495.  The single biggest difference from Cornwall is the cut-down stern section which will be fairly straight fowards to scratch.  There area a couple of pics showing the stern from an aft view - PM me if you are interested.  The configuration appears otherwise identical to Cornwall.  The boats and weapons in the Trumpeter kit are very basic and replacing them alone will add enormously to the final model.  Pick and choose from Micromaster and Black Cat Models who both model all the boats and wepaons you'll need.  However - be warned - getting their items is highly addictive.  Read My HMS Kent close-down for a decision as to which etch set you get should you wish to - there's not a lot to choose between Eduard and White Ensign Models.

3) See above - besides the stern cut down you'll need to extend the mizzen mast which is straight forwards.  Unlike Berwick, she retains the same position for the 4" guns so there's no faffing about relocation.  I imagine that most would agree decks would be unpainted/tinted at that period so should be in plain wood.  The aftermarket wood decks are great IMHO, I used one for Berwick and fit was flawless - you'll clearly have to think through the aft cut down but careful trimming should see you through

It's a good kit and there are no obvious pitfalls along the way.  I suspect that at Dec 1939 (time of the Battle of the River Plate) she'd be in 507C, but I'd still be interested in Dick's views.

Come back to me if there's anything further I can help with.  

Rob

As Rob has said, it depends what level of accuracy you are aiming for and how much you want to spend.  Apart from the obvious change aft, there are some other points to note:

• 4" HA - different locations and (until mid-war) single mountings in the after positions (and consequent change to boat stowage etc).
  • Shelter deck extended to level with the ship's side between the 4" mountings.
  • Multiple 2pdr mountings - quadruple instead of octuple.
  • Completely different fire control arrangements above bridge for LA control of main armament.

Compare the drawing you posted with this one: https://www.world-war.co.uk/popup1.php?file=Kent/cornwall38_lge.jpg

Like Rob, I suspect she'd have been in AP507C, with "CU" painted on the tops of "B" and "X" turrets at the time of the River Plate action; by that time she had crew shelters between the 4" mountings.

For a related conversion (related, because Suffolk and Cumberland differed slightly, in the locations and types of the 4" mountings, and thus in the boat stowage positions), see :http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=202855&hilit=suffolk

• Like 1

Gidday,

I also thought about the conversion of Cornwall to Cumberland at one time. As a result, I decided to limit myself to Berwick (he is now busy).
Here is a photo of Cumberland and his Suffolk Sistership that I managed to find:
https://mega.nz/folder/g88m2RKa#x-cX71aOEw7lR48twd2yzA

hope this information will help you
anyway - good luck

• Like 1

23 hours ago, robgizlu said:

It's possible that @dickrd would be able to guide as to when the hull might have been repainted, but it looks certain that it's one of these 2 choices....

I suspect that at Dec 1939 (time of the Battle of the River Plate) she'd be in 507C, but I'd still be interested in Dick's views.

Rob

Sorry Rob but sadly I have no photos of Cumberland to either confirm or disprove overall 507C during December 1939. According to things written at the time, as a cruiser on a foreign station, she should have been so.

My feeling is that the dark hull/light upperworks with patterned hangar scheme would likely have been a 1940 applied one. Late 1939 is to my mind too early for this sort of scheme, especially given that Cumberland in December 1939 was likely still wearing whatever she was wearing when she departed the UK on 31st August. 

The only question in my mind is how hurried was her departure from the UK? She was a last minute reinforcement to the South Atlantic Command. Was she given time to repaint from the overall Home Fleet grey she was wearing with the Home Fleet in the summer of 1939? She did call in at Plymouth on her way south but I don't know for how long. 

Edited by dickrd
  • Like 2