1/350 Aoshima Thunderbirds Fireflash

Hi all, calling this build done; it was a blast down memory lane, as I am sure it was for quite a few of you over 50 years. I painted the Fireflash in Tamiya LP6 Pure blue and Mr Color Super Metallic's super iron 2 with 30 drops of LP-6 to give me a bluish tinge to the silver.

My plan was to mount the plane on fibre optic strands that had been epoxied into the tops of each Elevator car. 1.8mm strand was stiff enough to hold up the plane, I did not glue them into the fuselage so that I can remove the Fireflash for easy transport. I super glued the cars to the base. Overall I am delighted how this kit came out and I would like to thank everyone for their support and comments. Stay tuned for Thunderbird 2 coming soon!

UnHL4fM.jpg
XFKYnG6.jpg
ailFWtA.jpg
auh8WgF.jpg
yNAntXb.jpg
l18Hoji.jpg
0UxFUbi.jpg
IDTLxNW.jpg
SWpuBEM.jpg
nN3DnSr.jpg
MtHNcpN.jpg
2sT2yP4.jpg
gbTuX5v.jpg
MZAiErY.jpg
YaWoaNx.jpg
nWNSehB.jpg
Z9rGGiO.jpg

Edited by Lee Chambers
  • Like 50
  • Thanks 2

I have never seen that displayed just before the point of landing like that, what a brilliant idea.

The models (and photographs) are beautifully done and feel really true to the original - that overhead shot especially. Great colours and weathering.

Will  

• Thanks 1

Lovely re-creation of the World's Unluckiest Airliner, and a highly inventive way to display it. Brilliant work.

I'm curious: how long is the aircraft, and how long are the elevator cars? It'd be interesting to know because by scaling up the latter in comparison to the ones that came with my 1/144 TB2, we could get an estimate of how long the Fireflash is meant to be. It'd have a horrible margin of error, like most of these estimates (e.g., the various "lengths" that have been calculated for one or other versions of the Battlestar Galactica), not least because the 1/144 cars don't look like it's possible to get 4 of them into a single pod! But it'd be nice to get an estimate, however rough.

Oh, and Gazontipede, thanks for the music. Definitely an excellent accompaniment to this thread.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Tarkas said:

I'm curious: how long is the aircraft, and how long are the elevator cars? It'd be interesting to know because by scaling up the latter in comparison to the ones that came with my 1/144 TB2, we could get an estimate of how long the Fireflash is meant to be. It'd have a horrible margin of error, like most of these estimates.

The length of the fuselage is just over 300mm from memory, without digging one of mine out from my waaay to large to build pile. I would take the 1/350 with a pinch of salt.

Tommo.

2 hours ago, Tarkas said:

Lovely re-creation of the World's Unluckiest Airliner, and a highly inventive way to display it. Brilliant work.

I'm curious: how long is the aircraft, and how long are the elevator cars? It'd be interesting to know because by scaling up the latter in comparison to the ones that came with my 1/144 TB2, we could get an estimate of how long the Fireflash is meant to be. It'd have a horrible margin of error, like most of these estimates (e.g., the various "lengths" that have been calculated for one or other versions of the Battlestar Galactica), not least because the 1/144 cars don't look like it's possible to get 4 of them into a single pod! But it'd be nice to get an estimate, however rough.

Oh, and Gazontipede, thanks for the music. Definitely an excellent accompaniment to this thread.

Thank you for the kind comments !

For your reference to how long Fireflash is,it measures 340mm from tip of nose cone to ends of wing tips.

The Elevator cars measured from front of car to rear of top platform is 40mm.

Hope that is of help.

Lovely job!

Scales in Thunderbirds are always tricky as to be honest the production team really didn't care. Comparing TB2 and Fireflash or Zero X are perfect case in point as the scales diverge all over the place almost from shot to shot.

• Thanks 1