1/72 Avro Manchester resin conversion

72modeler

Just got an email from Hannants that the Blackbird Models resin Manchester  conversion for the Airfix BMk I/III Lancaster is now available....betcha  @tonyot has already gotten his! Stock number is BMA72014. Thought some of you might like to know.

Mike

• Haha 1

At just shy of £43 it's a little heavy price wise, so perhaps they will sell it under the Hasegawa brand to justify?

On a serious note if you must have a Manchester then I'm sure it will be just what you are looking for, but better hurry as Hannants only seem to have 1 in stock.

Regards

Colin.

10 hours ago, TISO said:

Seems that Blackbird now carries it in their own catalogue.

I would be tempted if not already having Planet model (CMK) kit in my stash.

Hope they will reissue their Do-24K conversion 

Hello

I built the Planet kit ten years ago and I can say this is really not a piece of cake. I had to reduce the length of one side to match the other and the transparencies are too large for the fuselage. Now I could do it.

Patrick

I'm holding fire as I had a dream last night that Airfix will be releasing a Manchester next year.

Small print: I had been eating blue cheese which has been known to slightly reduce the accuracy of my predictions.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

29 minutes ago, fishplanebeer said:

If Airfix ever do release a Manchester I would definitely be a customer, along with many others

Myself included, but I doubt they will do one; personally, I would rather see a Hampden,  Halifax, or Canberra B2, and that's coming from a modeler on the wrong side of the pond! :giggle:

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JPuente54 said:

Airfix did make a Hampden back in the '60s

...and it's not a bad kit, considering its age- some vacform transparencies, better engines and props, some scratchbuilt cockpit bits, sand those rivets down and you've  got a pretty decent Flying Frying Pan! In some ways, I like it better than my AZ Hampdens.

Mike

2 hours ago, JPuente54 said:

Airfix did make a Hampden back in the '60s; I have one in the garage with others; it deserves to offered in a new mold. The same with a Halifax, Manchester, and a Canberra(any mark).

Considering they did new mould for Vulcan we can still hope. I would be a customer for new Hampden, Manchester and early bubble canopied Canberra. And while ae are at wishlists an early sharkfinned B-17C/D would also be nice.

I know about Planet Models Manchester problems and i'm trying to gather the courage to start it. I was pondering that and i even started to consider an option of sacrificing one Lanc to the Gods of scale modelling

BTW RE Canberra, i will need to get a few belts for my belt sander for HPM Canberra

Edited by TISO

Hi 

There is the cheaper option of the HBM conversion, resin is a little 'different' 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/62456-revell-hbm-172-avro-manchester-1a/

Cheers 

Jerry 

Edited by brewerjerry

IIRC sometime in the '90s I recall reading a magazine article which detailed a Manchester conversion (not sure from which Lanc) which involved cutting slices/sections from the Lanc wing to fabricate a Manchester wing (unless I've dreamt it?). It had cross-sections/details of the Vultures and details of the third fin for those to be scratch built. Probably one of the mainstream UK magazines from the time?

• Like 1

I have the Contrail vacform, as a backup for the Blackbird resin conversion I ordered the other day from the Big H; there was also a resin conversion set from  Paragon,  but it's long time OOP; see the link below to a build article using the Paragon conversion. I also have a set of DB Productions resin Manchester cowlings,  stock number DB2009, as well as a set of DB resin spinners and metal props, stock number  DB2010,  but they are also OOP.  I do remember  the build article mentioned above, and IIRC it also had 1/72 drawings that showed how to modify the Lancaster wing, but the magazine and date escapes me at the moment. (A late production Manchester would be the easiest, as IIRC  they had the Lancaster stabilizers and fins, and the smaller central fin was deleted.) There were a couple of outstanding conversion builds here on BM, and you could look for them, Surely @tonyot did one, as he has built every doggoned RAF aircraft whose name began with an 'H' :giggle: Hope the links will be useful. It would be great if Airfix did a new-tool Manchester, but I don't think there's much chance- but, we can always hope!.

Mike

http://www.hyperscale.com/features/2000/manchestergg_1.htm

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/paragon-designs-72050-avro-manchester-mk-1-1a-conversion--970139

https://youtu.be/BF1gtBDBmeI

https://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/gb/bombers/reyman.htm

Good reference, including scale 3-view drawings

http://www.adf-serials.com.au/manchester.htm

• 5 months later...

A bit of thread resurrection here.

I'm looking for a Manchester conversion set - does anyone know if Blackbird Models are still active? Their website shows many 1/72 items, including the Manchester, as out of stock.

The Planet kit is still available in penny numbers, but from the foregoing posts it sounds like it's a taxing build!

Cheers,

Mark

3 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

I'm looking for a Manchester conversion set - does anyone know if Blackbird Models are still active?

Yes they are - I ordered a Lincoln conversion set from them about three weeks ago and it arrived safely within a couple of days.

• Thanks 1

Hi

on that well know auction site there is usually someone selling a resin manchester conversion

think it might be a forum member ? 

cheers

jerry

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Yes they are - I ordered a Lincoln conversion set from them about three weeks ago and it arrived safely within a couple of days.

Thanks, Richard, that's good news! They've got lots of other bits of interest as well.

Cheers,

Mark

11 minutes ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

on that well know auction site there is usually someone selling a resin manchester conversion

think it might be a forum member ? 

cheers

jerry

Thanks, Jerry, I'll have a look! :)

Cheers,

Mark

2 hours ago, derekS said:

There is always the old fashioned way-Airfix Magazine,Sept 1969 (vol 11 no.1)

WARNING: Balsa wood,clear dope&talcum powder involved.

Derek S

Hi Derek,

Many thanks for that - I might see if I can find a copy. Balsa is a whole different skill-set, though, and one that I know nothing about :D

Cheers,

Mark

1 hour ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

found a link to the hbm conversion on BM 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/62456-revell-hbm-172-avro-manchester-1a/

cheers

jerry 

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the extra info! Is the HBM set the one on fleabay at the moment?

Cheers,

Mark

Blackbird Models is still around, not sure on how often Glenn stocks up on sets though. It's the best option on the market. That said, the Planet wings are rather nice, I used a revel fuselage to avoid tackling the Planet one using some aluminium dowels for the spars. The HBM kit is rather rough and takes a lot of work to get right. Also one wing on my set was quite a bit thicker than the other, so serious resin sanding is required.

This is the HBM Manchester (not great pics and my modelling has progressed since then!):

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next ,the Planet kit with Revel fuselage. On this one, I filled the inside of the bomb bay doors and sanded them flat along the bottom profile to look like the earlier type ones.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And the Blackbird set, the only thing I did was crash mould a new rear turret as the resin one is a bit thin on profile:

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 13

5 hours ago, woody37 said:

Blackbird Models is still around, not sure on how often Glenn stocks up on sets though. It's the best option on the market. That said, the Planet wings are rather nice, I used a revel fuselage to avoid tackling the Planet one using some aluminium dowels for the spars. The HBM kit is rather rough and takes a lot of work to get right. Also one wing on my set was quite a bit thicker than the other, so serious resin sanding is required.

This is the HBM Manchester (not great pics and my modelling has progressed since then!):

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next ,the Planet kit with Revel fuselage. On this one, I filled the inside of the bomb bay doors and sanded them flat along the bottom profile to look like the earlier type ones.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And the Blackbird set, the only thing I did was crash mould a new rear turret as the resin one is a bit thin on profile:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hi Neil,

Many thanks for your post! All your Manchesters are splendid! I've been reading your build threads - very inspiring stuff and I'll definitely be referring back to them when the time comes!

Thanks in particular for your assessment of the relative merits of the different options. It sounds like the Blackbird Models route is the best, and the overall cost looks to be about the same as a Paragon kit. So I'll hold out for one of Glenn's sets. I've left a message on his website.....

Thanks again and kind regards,

Mark

• Like 1

@woody37,

Re your Manchester conversion builds- judging by the look of the models you posted, if your skills have progressed since then, as you stated, I would be both  afraid and depressed to see how good you are, now! I have always loved the look of the Manchester, and your builds are museum quality, as far as I'm concerned. I sure hope Blackbird reissues their Manchester conversion- wish I had snagged one when they were first available!

Mike

BTW- EM-R is drop-dead gorgeous!

• Like 2