Curtiss Hawk 81-A-2 - Airfix - 1/72

I got back into the hobby almost a year ago now when the pandemic started, and this AVG Curtiss Hawk 81-A-2 was my first model. Took me five or six months to complete, and I was trying out a bunch of techniques for the first time--most significantly weathering, which you can see I really overdid! But I also used clear coats and microset and microsol for the first time (felt good about all of that), and attempted drilling out some of the guns and the exhaust (which didn't work as well).

I learned a lot, but most importantly I had a blast getting back into it,. I just finished a little tarmac base today so took my photos. The base is probably not the best setting for this little bird (which I understand was more often on dirt and gravel than asphalt or cement), but so be it--it will be a better setting for some of the other models I've completed or am working on.

Brush painted with Humbrol enamels (30 and 29 on top, 28 on the bottom), heavily weathered with pastels, silver chipping, and a watered down acrylic burnt umber from the dollar store (I didn't understand how quickly acrylic would dry, which explains the underside). The chipping makes me shudder a little now too, but I did read these AVG fighters were badly chipped due to the gravel runways, so that is partially my excuse. Anyway, I hope no one minds me sharing a model with as many flaws as this one--really it represents me having a great time getting back into this hobby, so please enjoy it in that spirit.

spacer.png

• Like 7

Good first effort, Sir!

That is a good kit to start with, the clear pieces particularly fit like a dream. I had some trouble with the leading edge seam around the landing gear bit, and did not like the fit of the upper nose piece on my first run at this kit.

Not so sure you over-did the weathering on the under-surface. These operated from dirt strips, and certainly kicked up a lot of dust, that I expect ground crew would have had more important things to do than clean off.

Looking forward to more.

• Like 1