Su-33 Flanker-D (8001) 1:48 Russian Navy Carrier-Borne Fighter

Mike

Stalal - I have bough a few Aerobonus seated pilots in the 48 range and almost without exception (the MIG 25 pilot was OK) the heads are way too small and are scaled as though it is the bare head on the body rather than wearing a quite bulky bone dome. The helmets are scaled to the head more like a swimming cap than a piece of flight gear. The photos don't always show this issue but it is quite evident once in the hand. Oddly enough, their standing pilots don't seem to suffer too much from this head/helmet scale issue.

Personally and given what work of art this kit is, I would wait for Reedoak to release one or if you are skilled at sculpting/milliput, convert one of their standing 48 Russian figs like those in the Arctic immersion suits which are spectacular. I have these figs standing in 48 and 32 scales and the detail is something to behold.

Gary

• Like 1

On 3/24/2021 at 2:32 PM, Nocoolname said:

Mine landed yesterday. Too whacked by work to take a proper look at it yet. Sat next to the MV-22 that arrived today that I've also not had time to see yet.

And your verdict is? 🥁 :)

• 2 weeks later...

In the words of the EMF, it's 'Unbelievable'.

It's almost like each key section of the kit is a full 'project-kit' in it's own right, that in some respects goes beyond what I would expect for investments involving after market parts. The real challenge is going to be finding a way to stop this detail from remaining too hidden and to provide a way where possible to draw the viewer's attention towards the detailed areas without the need for a complete 'maintenance diorama'. I've a few 'ideas' I'm already experimenting with for other builds - including targeted scale lighting etc.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

In the words of the EMF, it's 'Unbelievable'.

It's almost like each key section of the kit is a full 'project-kit' in it's own right, that in some respects goes beyond what I would expect for investments involving after market parts. The real challenge is going to be finding a way to stop this detail from remaining too hidden and to provide a way where possible to draw the viewer's attention towards the detailed areas without the need for a complete 'maintenance diorama'. I've a few 'ideas' I'm already experimenting with for other builds - including targeted scale lighting etc.

Its an unbelievable kit. To your point about experimenting with techniques and ideas, I m doing this too in my current builds with focus on building this kit with detail and focus it deserves. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Its a great kit packed with detail.

Im just hoping it builds ok.

From a realistic level though the surface detail on the GWH Flankers is actually better than the Minibase kit.

We are spoiled for great Flankers and the great news is the GWH SU-27 is on the way.

A great time to be a Flankerofile.

https://youtu.be/_hTb5la_Ln8

Edited by DarrenH