StuG III Ausf.F, Kfz. 142/1

Retired Bob

I have had this Dragon kit in the stash for over 20 years so it's not one of their newer kits but it still looks quite nice for it's age.  I have just ordered a metal barrel with brass muzzle brake to improve it's looks and a few more bits of AM to bring it up to date.  Sometime in the distant past I made a small start on this and attached the axles but that's as far as I got, everything else is still bagged up including the track links which are the pre-magic track individual links on sprues. so now I have retrieved from the stash I might as well finish it off. :winkgrin:

At the moment my idea for camouflage is red/brown over dark yellow but there will be lots of extra tracks for added "armour".

IMG_1535

Kit p/e is limited to just the engine intake mesh in that old very hard and shiny metal they used in the 90s. The hull with the axles attached from when I last made a start on this kit.

IMG_1536

• Like 7

I have made a start, opened all the bags and started cutting plastic, first I added the rear panel to the hull, not a good fit, I had to close the gap at the lower edge with some stretched sprue.  There are a lot fewer parts than a modern Dragon kit, the plastic is more brittle (but that could be the age) so once I've cleaned up all the wheels it will not take long to put this together.

The kit comes as an early Ausf.F with the two large "frog eye" headlights, built in mid 1942, before zimmerit and without any factory added armour as in this picture:

Russian aiming an anti tank rifle on StuG III

Later, the factory added 30mm armour to the front plates, this meant removing the headlights and a NOTEK light was fitted in the middle of the front panel instead.

Depending on which factory the StuG was built, the Alkett factory bolted these 30mm plates on, the MIAG factory welded them on.  I have these armour plates with the raised securing bolts in my spares box along with any other parts that were added to these modified Ausf.F built in Autumn 1942.  Here is a photo of an Alkett built one:

9241631984_90a6458230_c.jpg

Thanks for looking, any comments are welcome.

• Like 7

Todays update, I cleaned up and assembled the sprockets, idlers and wheels.  I'm going with the early type Ausf.F so I will not be adding the extra bolt on armour, I found out that the late ones with this bolt on armour also had a change to the rear deck and engine cover, the same as on the Ausf.G StuG's.  Seeing as I will be building at least 3 Ausf.G's I would prefer this one to be different. :winkgrin:

IMG_1540

I mentioned earlier that there are not a huge number of parts in this kit so it has gone together quite quickly, another throw back to the mid 90s is the recessed weld joints, for those that don't know, welded joints should be flush or slightly proud of the metal plates that are being joined.  In the past, kit manufacturers of AFV's tended to mould welded joints as recessed lines, I built tanks for years before I found out this was wrong, Dragon actually changed some of their moulds when this was pointed out in reviews but for older kits the best thing I find is to fill the gaps with stretched sprue, 3 or 4 lengths of fine stretched sprue textured with an old blunt blade makes a good weld seam.  The 2 recessed areas either side of the gun opening were shot traps so most crews filled them in, reinforced concrete was a favorite, I will use milli-put and start on the tracks while that is drying. :winkgrin:

• Like 7

Another build to keep you busy Bob - I've got to admire your stamina. I usually end up struggling to get the one finished so I'd have no chance for two. Although I seem to be on track for a change at the moment. Will be following both your builds with interest and will be learning from you as I do as I love the knowledge of the subject you have :D

Kris

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, planecrazee said:

Will be following both your builds with interest and will be learning from you as I do as I love the knowledge of the subject you have :D

One of the benefits of being retired, I always find that having a couple of kits on the go allows you plenty of time to let glue and paint harden, too many times in the past I would rush things to finish a kit only to ruin it or at best cause a lot more work. :wtf:

• Like 1

Absolutely Bob - sounds like a great plan. I normally have more than 1 model on the go at once but just take my time - too long sometimes. That's why I like the challenge of a GB as it gives you the motivation and impetus to get a model started and finished within a deadline. I'd like to think GB's help with clearing out the stash too but mysteriously something always takes its place - its the work of the devil :devil:

Kris

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, planecrazee said:

I'd like to think GB's help with clearing out the stash too but mysteriously something always takes its place - its the work of the devil :devil:

Don't I know it, but the wife never believes me when I say "It wasn't me" :shrug:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A quick update, the kit tracks are the wrong type they have solid guide horns when they should be hollow.  I have a set of magic tracks with hollow horns, they have cleaned up easily with just a few scrapes of a scalpel blade, I assembled them on the running gear like I did with the StuH, and they went together without any problems, I have added the Milli-put "concrete" to the front areas of the fighting compartment also the other parts of the engine deck, I replaced the kit intake mesh with some spares that I had, they have better detail.  I will be adding some extra protection with spare tracks using both Panzer III and T-34 track links.

IMG_1543

Next job is to fit the trackguards.  Thanks for looking, any comments are welcome. :winkgrin:

• Like 11

I was fitting the trackguards today, I had just finished cleaning up the attachment brackets when...I knocked the bottle of Tamiya extra thin over them and the trackguard......

oh dear!  I exclaimed, or words to that effect. :wtf:

I will see what can be recovered, then it's time to trawl the spares box. :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I was fitting the trackguards today, I had just finished cleaning up the attachment brackets when...I knocked the bottle of Tamiya extra thin over them and the trackguard......

I will see what can be recovered, then it's time to trawl the spares box. :unsure:

I hate it when that happens, good luck.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Oh dash and blast I'll bet you spluttered!

Guess its not just me having a run of bad luck!

Hope its recoverable, think its breen one of those weeks!

• Thanks 1

On 24/02/2021 at 21:07, Retired Bob said:

A quick update, the kit tracks are the wrong type they have solid guide horns when they should be hollow.  I have a set of magic tracks with hollow horns, they have cleaned up easily with just a few scrapes of a scalpel blade, I assembled them on the running gear like I did with the StuH, and they went together without any problems, I have added the Milli-put "concrete" to the front areas of the fighting compartment also the other parts of the engine deck, I replaced the kit intake mesh with some spares that I had, they have better detail.  I will be adding some extra protection with spare tracks using both Panzer III and T-34 track links.

IMG_1543

Next job is to fit the trackguards.  Thanks for looking, any comments are welcome. :winkgrin:

the T 34 track armour 👍

MD

• Thanks 1

Hi Bob. I am sorry to hear about the Tamiya Thin incident! One of my biggest worries is about knocking the bottle over so I try to be really careful......but I still discover I've left the lid unscrewed for a couple of hours! Hope you manage to find something suitable in the spares box!

Your StuG in it's tracks looks excellent though!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Bob. I am sorry to hear about the Tamiya Thin incident! One of my biggest worries is about knocking the bottle over so I try to be really careful......but I still discover I've left the lid unscrewed for a couple of hours! Hope you manage to find something suitable in the spares box!

Thanks for the kind thoughts, the glue bottle top was in my hand as I glued one of the trackguard brackets on, I keep saying I will make a wide base so it will be impossible to knock over but I never get around to it.  Anyway I have robbed a new set of brackets from an old Panzer III kit (same parts) and the melted section of trackguard will have to be covered with a bit of stowage. :phew:

Hopefully my metal barrel will arrive soon. :winkgrin:

• Like 3

I'm still waiting for my metal barrel for this kit, but I had a trial of a spare Ausf.G barrel that I had, track guards have now been fitted, the only things remaining to be fitted are the two aerial stowage rails, six pieces of p/e for each rail, the fun bit is bending the p/e so that both rails are level and not like a wonky donkey. :unsure:

IMG_1545

Trial fitting the stowage and some new paints to try.  Any comments are welcome.

• Like 9

14 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I'm still waiting for my metal barrel for this kit, but I had a trial of a spare Ausf.G barrel that I had, track guards have now been fitted, the only things remaining to be fitted are the two aerial stowage rails, six pieces of p/e for each rail, the fun bit is bending the p/e so that both rails are level and not like a wonky donkey. :unsure:

IMG_1545

Trial fitting the stowage and some new paints to try.  Any comments are welcome.

Hello Bob

The Lifecolour paints have a good reputation and I am curious to see what your tank will look like with them.

Except for a few single colours, I only have the Rust and Dust set and I have never used them with the AB.
In any case, good luck 👍
MD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Bob. Well it looks like you have progressed well since the Tamiya Thin 'incident'!! It looks fantastic in that last photo above. And good luck with all the PE!!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1