Mobutu's personal Congolese AF Alouette III (Heller 1/72) +++ FINISHED +++

TonyOD

On 4/3/2021 at 12:25 PM, TonyOD said:

I knocked a cockpit on a Crusader together using one of those fancy Eduard prepainted PE sets this morning and actually it wasn't too much of a trial. I've decided to use the Superglue gel instead of liquid, a tiny dab of that gives at least a bit of instant adhesion.

Yeah,

I found the Loctite Gel pretty good, but they seem to have changed the formula lately and I find it somewhat runny and it does not seem to stick that well - typical!

Pete

• Like 1

I've been putting this one off this week (all those final evil bits of etch) but I've now got the slightly blurry tail rotor on, as well as that yellow assembly that I presume prevents the rotor getting damaged/chopping things to bits. There's an additional spar between the frame and the underside of the tail boom that doesn't feature on all Alouettes, it does feature on the OOB Gendarmerie version, or at least the box art says it does, there is no part to be found in the kit. I used a bit of plastic rod sprayed yellow, it took superglue gel and a steady hand to stick it in place. Also I dropped the model and snapped the starboard tailfin off, managed to stick it back on. Another couple of days and I reckon I'll be there.

spacer.png

• Like 6

• TonyOD changed the title to Mobutu's personal Congolese AF Alouette III (Heller 1/72) - tail rotor on, 10/4/21

Well, apart from maybe a very minor bit of touching up I’m going to call the wee feller done. Remind me never to get involved with etch again. Gallery pics later. Cheers. 

spacer.png

• Like 8

• TonyOD changed the title to Mobutu's personal Congolese AF Alouette III (Heller 1/72) +++ FINISHED +++

And she looks great, Tony!!! As you know, I hate PE but it does add some detail that just isnt there with injected plastic. You've done a grand job!

Martin

PS: I promise I'll get mine done ;). It might not be in the GB, though......

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well done, every time I try a chopper I ruin it with my hamfistedness and sausage fingers. 

Thanks Dennis, trust me, there's no-one more hamfisted or sausage-fingered than me! On to the orange monster...

• Like 2