Mobutu's personal Congolese AF Alouette III (Heller 1/72) +++ FINISHED +++

TonyOD

9 hours ago, TonyOD said:

I am to be a grandfather. I was holding an Exacto knife at the time, and I very nearly took a finger off.

Congratulations, Tony! :)

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

reminds me of the old Peugeot 205 GTi with the bright red carpets and trim!

Thanks Adrian on both counts. Reminds me of the interior of a car I once travelled in, I was export manager for a company whose UAE distributor's sale manager was a Lebanese guy called Backer, he had this big old American car, Chevy or Buick or something, likewise the interior done out in red leather (or possibly "leatherette") and carpets. Very swanky but impractical in the heat - we drove from Dubai to Abu Dhabi in almost 50 degree heat (it was July, highest temperatures I've ever experienced) and when left parked the upholstery got so hot he had to fire it up, turn on the a/c and leave it running half an hour while we retreated indoors. I wonder if Mobutu had the same problem?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Ah but did it have a blue tinted sunroof? ;)

I don't remember, but knowing Backer it was perfectly feasible. He was a character. Used to teach me the lyrics to Lebanese love songs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Little bit of progress in that she is now green. I went with Revell 42 and think it looks very decent for it. Two layers of Klear before the decals go on. In a Moment Of Clarity I realised that the tail fins were, in fact, standard sized 😁. Out of shot, bits of engine and rotor assembly being painted.

spacer.png

• Like 4

• TonyOD changed the title to Mobutu's personal Congolese AF Alouette III (Heller 1/72) - green machine 22/3/21

OOO errr.. Nice one, Tony! 

We had a lot of them flying around nearby at Soesterberg (300 Sqn) - even had a display team with Alouettes :)

y4m3UtrzNLUZzRfCeInH16KicHm0iRRi0F8H_NDq

Still, those were pretty standard, and not decked out in true Potentate style with red leather :D

• Like 1

11 hours ago, alt-92 said:

even had a display team with Alouettes :)

That's a striking formation! ("Potentate". A word we don't use enough.)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, alt-92 said:

even had a display team with Alouettes

Yep, I (like many, I'm sure) remember the Grasshoppers :). One of the Dutch Alouettes is the subject of my build .... to come later, and courtesy of Tony @TonyOD      ;)

Martin

• Like 2

Some bits and pieces. The sprues offer two different engines, one of which is an  approximation of the one on this chopper. There’s a limit to what can be achieved on 1/72 but I’ll have a go at jazzing it up with etch and wire and stuff.

spacer.png

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 3

@RidgeRunner to the rescue! Many thanks Martin. Decals on, give or take a couple of the tiny ones. I've also just noticed some black vertical lines either side of the fuselage near the steps that I'll be able to knock up from bits of leftover walkway lines. It's a smart, colourful scheme. I particularly like the understated restraint of the general's stars under the doors.

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• TonyOD changed the title to Mobutu's personal Congolese AF Alouette III (Heller 1/72) - decals on 24/3/21
12 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

@RidgeRunner to the rescue

I’m just pleased to help, Tony :). She is looking great. Having now seen the decals in the correct scale (!) I can imagine how petite that model is :).

Martin

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

he was a shy retiring type.

Quote from Mobutu:

In our African tradition, there are never two chiefs; there is sometimes a natural heir to the chief, but can anyone tell me that he has ever known a village that has two chiefs? That is why we Congolese, in the desire to conform to the traditions of our continent, have resolved to group all the energies of the citizens of our country under the banner of a single national party.

Basically saying "Democracy? Nah, that's not what us Africans are all about, is it?". Justifying single-party dictatorship by appealing to his countrymen's sense of national pride. Got to admire his chutzpah.

Still, there's a school of thought that says that in fact democracy isn't for everyone... but that's a whole 'nother discussion (or rather, a whole 'nother website!) 

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 3

Wheels on, masks off. The front transparency came off as I was peeling off bits of Tamiya tape, no great surprise as the match between that and the main body isn't great and it was only stuck on with a bit of Clearfix. Not a bad thing as it could do with some tidying up around the edges before I slap it back on. The wee grab bars are in place, the finest plastic rod I had looked a bit clunky so I painted up some 5 amp fuse wire and used that. Fiddly!

spacer.png

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 4

• TonyOD changed the title to Mobutu's personal Congolese AF Alouette III (Heller 1/72) - wheels on, masks off 1/4/21

Bit of further faffage this evening. Just trying the rotors for size for now. I've done a bit of tidying up in the front transparency but there's no getting round the fact that the fit is pretty dreadful, I think i could probably have done a better job of this. The red light on the top was damaged in the box (it's split between two transparent fuselage halves and one of the halves of the light had snapped off) so I made a new one from a gloop consisting Clearfix and clear red Tamiya acrylic of the same type used to tint the windows blue, underlaid with kitchen foil. I'm mentally gritting my teeth in readiness for etch hell around the engines. This feels like a huge amount of effort for a tiny outcome (I reckon I could've OOB'd a Lanc in less time) and i'm eager to put this one to bed now.

spacer.png

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 3

If for the rest of my modelling "career" I never see another piece of photoetch, I'll be a happy man.

Anyways, the engine is on, dressed up with some bits of Brengun PE and a little bit of fuse wire. One fairly prominent (but still tiny) piece pinged off the tweezers into an alternative dimension, or it might as well have because I'm never going to see it again (observed my particularly malevolent green patterned carpet monster). I would have had a hard time fitting that one anyway as it was supposed to go around the engine before it got glued on. The tiniest bits of etch (with their "seriously now?" callouts) I'm not bothered with. Just the tail rotor and some more bits of etch to deal with now.

The full horror of the front transparency fit is on display in this pic.

spacer.png

• Like 3

• TonyOD changed the title to Mobutu's personal Congolese AF Alouette III (Heller 1/72) - engine on, 1/4/21
2 hours ago, TonyOD said:

If for the rest of my modelling "career" I never see another piece of photoetch, I'll be a happy man.

I know the feeling! Photoetch and very runny superglue - hate them both with a passion 🤬

Excellent progress on the model nevertheless

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mitchem said:

I know the feeling! Photoetch and very runny superglue - hate them both with a passion 🤬

Excellent progress on the model nevertheless

Me too, mate. The Superglue one is another that I hadn’t considered until you mentioned it. I hate such glue that refuses to stick! Certainly, in my experience, dont try to use it close to anything marked with a Sharpie! :(. We were brought being warned about superglue - it’s quick setting properties, etc - but I must use some from a parallel dimension! ;(

Martin

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

The Superglue one is another that I hadn’t considered until you mentioned it. I hate such glue that refuses to stick!

I knocked a cockpit on a Crusader together using one of those fancy Eduard prepainted PE sets this morning and actually it wasn't too much of a trial. I've decided to use the Superglue gel instead of liquid, a tiny dab of that gives at least a bit of instant adhesion.

• Like 1

Not much going on with the Alouette other than spending several days nursing the tail rotor along. The etch set has a very flimsy affair that might be dimensionally more accurate but one of the blades broke off so that was that, back to the kit part. The kit provides “wraparound” decals to represent the red and yellow stripes but they looked like a load of faff so I decided to mask and paint instead. Bit of touching up needed. Nearly there!

spacer.png

• Like 3