A long way from home - 1/72 Valom Fokker F.VII/3m 'Southern Cross'

Thanks for the prompt @JOCKNEY... glad you drew my attention back to this thread.
Wow!! thats really looking the part now, cannot wait to see it finished. Fantastic progress., please keep going. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm kind of stuck with the flimsy engine mounting and landing gear. 

Bit of a show-stopper at the moment..

As is visible in this pic, the landing gear bearing strut goes up into the engine cowling. 

F.VIIB-3m+0021-1920w.jpg

Pic from https://www.fokker-history.com/en-gb/f-viib-3m

The kit parts themselves absolutely do not have the strength to support that, let alone do they have the proper attachment points.

Neither are the instructions particularly helpful in this regard 😮 

y4mNriTGs1W1AzCoI6n9OliiKwtdtOFgdAaIoFhi

As the decals for the port side (southern cross stars) and the minor bits 'n bobs should probably be in place beforehand, I need to re-think this.

Preferably, some brass bars cut to the proper length to ensure good alignment, drilling mounting holes and soldering. 
Suffice to say, getting that all done this weekend is a bit of a stretch, so I will ask @Enzo Matrix or another mod to move the thread to the WIP section.

Good news is that I at least have some eyelets from Bob's Buckles for the control cable wiring, so those will be added as well. 

Not giving up on this one, I'm far too close now!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

20 hours ago, alt-92 said:

I'm kind of stuck with the flimsy engine mounting and landing gear. 

Bit of a show-stopper at the moment..

As is visible in this pic, the landing gear bearing strut goes up into the engine cowling. 

The kit parts themselves absolutely do not have the strength to support that, let alone do they have the proper attachment points.

Neither are the instructions particularly helpful in this regard 😮 

Not giving up on this one, I'm far too close now!

Yes, I found on the Frog kit that the undercarriage is a bit fiddly but seems to be sturdy once all in place. Here is a pic from the Frog version which shows the undercarriage leg going against the inside of the engine nacelle and up into the wing. Hope you solve this.

POdCF2b.jpg

xWiZIXP.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1