A long way from home - 1/72 Valom Fokker F.VII/3m 'Southern Cross'

Well then :)

Jumping in with both feet, here's my attempt at the Valom Fokker F.VIIb/3m, in the guise of  the 1928 'Southern Cross',  flown by Australian aviator Charles Kingsford Smith, Charles Ulm, Harry Lyon and James Warner in the first-ever trans-Pacific flight to Australia from the mainland United States, a distance of about 11,670 kilometres.

y4mcvWBN9qYnOFXRbXqZ5cClNvX5rpRatY4uM5dA

In the box:
An eclectic gathering of parts - Plastic, resin, and PE.

There's also extra replacement parts in a better moulding quality for the tail and engine nacelles.

y4mGAU0PjImtsge80BipPDRamxItT_6ckocFOhVc

As is often the case, short-run multimedia kits need a bit (uhuh) of cleanup.

y4m7aDe0DXB0JZih1BOuxJEEUnyAO3waBJVsw2u6

That will be the task for today, scraping and filing, and separating out the parts needed from what's not.

I have spotted some obvious things needed inside, like a big ol' fuel tank so there may be some scratchbuilding included on this trip.

• Like 12

37 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Delighted to see this one in the GB, I believe @Rabbit Leader has a 1:1 scale one of these in his office, if you speak nicely to him he may take us on a tour !

Cheers Pat 

Funnily enough I reckon I was driving past the 'Old Bus' as you were typing this Pat. Not quite 'in my office', however she's not far away. I'll post the same images I left in Mike's @Ventora3300 Frog GB thread a couple of years ago... not much has changed since then and no surprises, the sun is still out! Really nice subject matter and another reminder that I really ought to add one of these to the cabinet one day. 

Cheers and best of luck with the build.. Dave 

47984648532_cbcb1afd69_b.jpg

47984708086_ee37edb221_b.jpg

47984657298_7609f9de14_b.jpg

47984657657_07fc827b7b_b.jpg

47984661658_1609e7dab3_b.jpg

47984651332_fdea74675e_b.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

@Rabbit Leader @JOCKNEY Thanks for the shout-out!

I'd taken a gander at that Frog GB thread earlier indeed :)

Not quite sure about the current preserved paintwork - it looks like the nose did have a lighter shade (Aluminium?) on the Qld State Library picture of the arrival:

y4mw7hCCQDTGNLQyvwA1lAkgd3nYy6a_ESQO85Id

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Cross_(aircraft)#/media/File:StateLibQld_1_139254_Landing_the_aircraft,_Southern_Cross_in_Brisbane,_Queensland,_ca._1928.jpg

Which suggests the box-art might be closer?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

I would agree as well. This Fokker did under go some equipment re-fitting and re-painting over it's journey, so it depends what time period you wish to depict your model. You will also notice the 'Southern Cross' font change over time and (if I'm not mistaken) he Valom kit provides both decal options. 

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 20/02/2021 at 22:54, alt-92 said:

@Rabbit Leader @JOCKNEY Thanks for the shout-out!

I'd taken a gander at that Frog GB thread earlier indeed :)

Not quite sure about the current preserved paintwork - it looks like the nose did have a lighter shade (Aluminium?) on the Qld State Library picture of the arrival:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Cross_(aircraft)#/media/File:StateLibQld_1_139254_Landing_the_aircraft,_Southern_Cross_in_Brisbane,_Queensland,_ca._1928.jpg

@alt-92Great choice of aircraft to celebrate Aussie Airmen - 'Smithy' is a fascinating character. I had a look at a Valom build of this when trying to research the small details to 'upgrade' the Frog kit. The 1:1 Southern Cross had flown 6417 miles across the pacific and in storms so some light weathering on the nose was to be expected! Also, I noted that one of the exhaust stubs on the centre engine looked like it had been extended away from the windscreen and off to the port side, no doubt to prevent the windscreen being coated in oily smoke - maybe the diverted hot gasses took off some of the blue colour on the metal panels at that side. It took me ages to decide on the windscreen frame colour, never mind the cowling, after looking at all the pictures available. Good luck with this build. All the best. Mike.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well, not too much yet, @JOCKNEY :banghead: 
Something called life keeps intervening. 

Nevertheless, after much hemming and hawing, I've decided I'll take a shot at making her look like the preserved article. 

To that end:

The easiest part of assembly is done, the wing :P 

y4mqN0rTMwccXsMKkAWQ73h_hJQGsiHjxvp3SYic

Besides that, the port side door has been covered with a thin sheet of evergreen and puttied flush. 
I'm now trying to figure out the window situation - the clear parts are supplied as one long piece, and I may have to cut that up while aligning it with the bars on the inside - while keeping in mind the fuel tank.

y4mt7mJ21vVspcUtUPE4ozT2WdwJpCYOATTravKM

Fueltank? Yes. Some tarting up of the interior must be done after all. 

There's a radio rack, and the earth compass, and seats for the new floor. The tables for the tank and radios will get some legs from brass tubes as well.

y4mhzEp9NJ049tOpCXrvuB6VLXIk5Htb3atA9fYB

And a trial assembly (not glued yet) for the engine nacelles..

Will need to drill out and add some tube here as well - there aren't any prop shafts and the props have rather big holes for those.

y4mkhhUepT7iMd0VEgufQf8mqcIiwj3Oz_gZ37Hj

This is a kit that needs lots of fettling and help. A dry run already had me padding up the edges for the cockpit windows to make them flush, and I will need to use a bit of plasticard to make the wing trailing edge to fuselage rear deck nice and smooth.. 

Challenge accepted :P

• Like 9

A really nice choice :thumbsup2:.  I've always been confused by the shape of the engine nacelles, so it's good that you're basing your model on the preserved aircraft.  No possible arguements!

Cheers

• Haha 1

Awaiting some 2.5mm plastic bar/strip on order to fill in the windows a bit & rods - should be in later this week.

Those will be used to redo the frame for the radios and tables - that ex-ejector rack repurposed doesn't quite do it. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Service resumed!

Cockpit added, and did some touch-ups where the paint wore off handles and such after this pic.

y4mccWoSHZLqYnrvHIDFsFr7hHf3q6gDDNH9w_th

Made the cutouts for the resized windows, puttied and sanded over flush on the outside - that's why I needed the Evergreen bars in .25 as those will fit the windows nicely.

y4m7o6bH3iy7UtrimEcd_Farqnd2UgholaHZmEzi

Fueltank and framing added on one side.

Still some bars to be added rearwards, those are drying. 

y4mhTfpOM2Qnq_IMrTvZMSrtQNqOI9wpSBD5mPSA

The white frame is the top of the radio rack, desk & seat in place.
Desk/shelf at the fuel tank to follow once the floor is in.

The big compass is CA'd onto the floor.

y4m-BLjFqDBqHlTBRwRHWdjqeS_bUYXOZMxuVSu8

Now cutting up the second window, and then need to add the framework on that side. 
Once that's in place, it's closing up time. 
Through every step of this, I've dry-fitted parts, and did my best to prepare as much as possible to minimise gaps when adding the wing. So... we'll see how that ends up :)

• Like 3

Haha! No, I arranged for a proper workbench :D  Left upper corner now filled with a proper paint rack.

Daylight lamp, and an old IKEA one over the spraybooth. Lots of space :) 

y4mzEVbbaHoAh0eIc-RIlPVEeS1vbvU9DdFbGtxc

• Like 3

Why'd you think those shots are framed close to the parts :D

Current status:

y4mqgKhFgMeG1QNzARVMm9xa5H4_Vluh-r-D-r0T

I've resorted to some stress relief, with somewhat of a tie-in to the GB :P

y4m-9_EbyNdLNV60VlCRdzvAFovjpj1GcoSz32Hr

-- 

Closing the fuselage up.

y4mNak6aDMLJ5jVymGOWlkQNie9275HksiH_Wiug

Really, I should have thought better about the framework and the internals, as it was I completely mis-measured the available space so some hackery was needed. 
At least I got the side windows to the appropriate shape. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/04/2021 at 21:03, alt-92 said:

Why'd you think those shots are framed close to the parts :D

Current status:

y4mqgKhFgMeG1QNzARVMm9xa5H4_Vluh-r-D-r0T

I've resorted to some stress relief, with somewhat of a tie-in to the GB :P

That's is a hugely impressive work space. And the complete opposite from the Jockney method !

I think you would need to be sedated if I posted a picture of my workspace. 

Would it be OK if I printed a picture of yours so that one day, I could attempt to replicate it, even if it only lasted for a few hours ?

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 1

Go nuts, I'd say :)

-- 

Updates:

I need to replace an airbrush nozzle:

y4mRRg-RMyku2sF38u2f4qRt6ZWeXm905_Xy2ndT

Spattering and really coarse for a 0.2 nozzle. Not good. At least the framing is now aluminium (and the trough under the post has been filled).

Wing sprayed in same aluminium with the a/b I usually reserve for hot paints. More cleaning... 
y4mUSFxMeB1TzC27ivNozRncx6pZiumKTr8HARwl

Tail bits cleaned and ready for priming.

y4m1To_a1Cwc92yiFTeYWgjifofjZc1VZ2KzASvI

Fuselage received it's first blue coat (BS105)

y4mz1B68r-yCuaUFU5N-ioKhafVN3f_LJbXqvGNb

It's getting there :)

y4m5RaiN3kehvGT2XMxdvwUnQp35Yoj9qe2UxNlJ

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

oof... I might need that !

---

Ok. Wings glued on, fitting the engines. 
Those supports are... let's keep it at less-than-ideal. 

I'm half of mind to do the decals now, as it will be a bit of a challenge without knocking stuff off. 

y4mIJQi35fpSiLn-BF-yn3X-4uGtIzEyVUytJj40

And it will allow for some touchups on the window frames - still masked, and probably hard to get out of there.

y4mbIFoA90PJlca-qce6RTIYSOF0fIiBWZhnFKwr

Those ailerons have some big counterbalances. 

y4m0vWUmot6L-WZUBqHmBxJOKlh4aDw1oyZqo5O-

All the other parts are pre-painted. I did make the genny a bit fatter as the kit one is a bit anemic.

• Like 5