1/72 SAAF Buccaneer (Airfix) - run aground....

mitchem

2 hours ago, mitchem said:

Don’t tell anyone about the 737 build......it will be our secret 🤣

Oooops too late - Gav screen shared your thread in one of the meetings....!!  :) (everyone was most impressed too!)

K

...well that's rather annoying!

I'd read that Xradecal had made an error on their SAAF Mustang markings, inasmuch as the wing roundels were oversized?

Well guess what.....

JmFrs8al.jpg

(For reference, the image on the PC screen is from Wikipedia).

I know the colour schemes aren't identical, but really ?

Now having to come up with Plan B, but this will mean a delay 😠

• Sad 3

• 2 weeks later...

Plan B failed - I'll skip the reason

Plan C - Dig through my stash of aftermarket decals and I came across a set of generic "castles" that I've had for about 25 years. The sheet may have yellowed, but the markings were still good to use.

EUqoPpdl.jpg

Time to finish off the rest of the markings, undercarriage and ordnance.

• Like 7

On 5/10/2021 at 5:03 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

What size do you need ? I may have them in my files ? I have an older Microscale sheet, and the Frog Buccaneer 1/72 sheet. 

Hi Dennis. Many thanks for your kind offer but I managed to source the "castles" from a generic sheet that I bought in South Africa in the 1990s ! (...and my wife asks me why I have so much junk hidden away 🤣 )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

As per the change in the title, I'm afraid that this build has run aground...... 

Decal application was there or thereabouts and after putting on the top coat of varnish, I tried the old trick of getting a super-glossy finish by over-spraying self-levelling thinners. I was so impressed with the outcome that I kept spraying until I could see my face. And then my face aged quite badly as the thinners ate through the top coat, the decals and the base.............

Just as it started munching on the plastic, I jumped in with a sharp blade to try and salvage the build, but the damage was pretty extensive

kl6ZJpOl.jpg

I could have binned it, but after a cooling off period, I resprayed the forward fuselage, applied another SAAF castle, and with thanks to Dr E, replaced the stencils

Rnm9fM6l.jpg

The joy was short-lived after removing the cockpit masking and discovering two cracks running through the canopy

9tmQFfJl.jpg

I could have binned it again, but I've parked it to one side while I have a think.

In the meantime, I've had to park my "brick" on bricks

1Gvpufhl.jpg 

I'm hoping to come up with a plan, but it certainly won't be completed in time for the deadline.

Apologies

mike

• Sad 3

• mitchem changed the title to 1/72 SAAF Buccaneer (Airfix) - run aground....

Sorry to see this one has been causing you issues Mike and particularly when it was looking so good. Hopefully you can source a replacement canopy and save this one after all your great work on it.

A replacement canopy would be the obvious choice but I am wondering if the Future/Pledge trick might actually fill the cracks since they are so tiny?

I'd also suggest to dip in in future... maybe not the perfect finish but certainly presentable from certain angles at least!

would be a shame! great you salvaged the rest of the kit and had spare decals!