1/72 SAAF Buccaneer (Airfix) - run aground....

mitchem

1 hour ago, mitchem said:

Let's face it - Airfix deliberately released this in time for the Group Build, so it would be rude to ignore it.

Bet they forgot to include appropriate decals.

Looks a lot more complex that the last time I looked at an Airfix Buccaneer.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, mitchem said:

Let's face it - Airfix deliberately released this in time for the Group Build, so it would be rude to ignore it.

Good point Mike :D 

Been focusing a bit too much on my other build, but the Buccaneer hasn't been forgotten.

Started with the cockpit and ejector seats :

V3NN1p9l.jpgV2OxJaRl.jpg

6txXzAtl.jpg

Eduard etch set en-route to add some extra detail and colour

Inlets and outlets next :

R540bPnl.jpgu1Ghvcvl.jpg

Dry-fitted the bits and pieces into the fuselage

3whrK87l.jpg

JmvWrYSl.jpg

I must admit that I'm really enjoying this kit. Very clever engineering :thumbsup2:

• Like 13

On 3/1/2021 at 11:33 AM, Col. said:

Nice progress. It certainly goes together better than their earlier 48th scale kit.

I've had one of their 1/48 scale Buccaneers longer than I've had our kids. One day.........one day......... 😆

On 3/1/2021 at 11:11 PM, Smudge said:

This will look very cool in it's SAAF colours.

What are you doing for decals, old Airfix or Xtradecal ?

I've got the new Xtradecal set but I've never been a big fan of the "orange" nosecone on the original . Fortunately, our favourite website (and Facebook) were there to provide support this morning :

SeEiwDkl.jpg

• Like 4

The builds I have seen of this kit suggest that most of it goes together very well. The only possible problem I can remember is that like the previous moulding, the air brakes can perhaps be a problem. Must get round to building the one I bought when it first came out - together with the Whitley, Mitchell and 2 Phantoms! At least I have plenty of reference material on most of the builds now.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

Been fiddling around with some etched bits and pieces for the main undercarriage bays :

UG7C593l.jpg

...and the cockpit :

0xCGHlPl.jpg

..and then people started posting photos of their finished builds and I kind of got carried away by gluing things together without taking my time (or paying attention to instructions !)

Main fuselage halves glued together and top of wings attached :

hoqCKt3l.jpg

HzzGnPbl.jpg

...and then I realised that I hadn't added the engine intakes to the kit before gluing the halves together ! 🥴

A bit of head-scratching and judicious use of a dremel tool 

QR2Ut56l.jpg

and I managed to get them located correctly before tacking the front fuselage in place with tape.

Sill going in the right direction.

mike

• Like 15

Bomb-bay door?

I invested in the SAAF resin set from Odds and Ordnance, but the jury is still out with regards to the parts that will be used. One thing that wasn't open to discussion was the bomb-bay, but.....

...the resin bit was obvious designed for the old Airfix kit, and not only was it too long, but it also wasn't wide enough - this is not a criticism !

Quick bit of work with a razor saw and we're all set to attach it :

v3JgHbql.jpg

Glued in with two part epoxy and gaps filled with Milliput  - job done :

0IVnN0ol.jpg

Did some work on the tail section and a last minute change of plan. I was going to open the airbrakes and embellish them with etched. Didn't happen :

IWu7morl.jpg

Tacked the tail onto the mid-section with tape :

lAgBABql.jpg

Sprayed some Mr Surfacer 1200 on the wings and tail to check some joints, and then tacked on the front section to see what it looked like :

PcXELZlh.jpg

I reckon that the guy who designed the Buccaneer must have left his ruler at home that day (thankfully !) 😆

mike

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

Got a bit bogged down with photoetch........

Finished off the seats, added them to the cockpit tub and took a family shot of the parts before I buttoned everything together (with nose weight added)

Ix4s3Lrl.jpg

Added the T-tail to the back and the front section...............to the front

kmFYPYRl.jpg

Then added the intake covers after spraying them with Xtreme metal Matte Aluminium - the intakes had already been painted with a brown colour.

GPsvGHKl.jpg

Just need to do a quick walkaround and fin-tune some joints and then I reckon I should be ready to slap some paint on this.

mike

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2021 at 11:04 PM, Pauly Boy said:

Great choice. Been a fan of S. African Bucc for a while. Always wanted build one and add an "H2" guided bomb, scratch built of course as there are none on the market.

Carry on. I'll watch closely. 

Paul  :)

Paul, you can actually get the H-2 with the comms pod and jammer from Shapeways 😉

https://www.shapeways.com/product/SGXCN6WBC/buccaneer-h-2-raptor-weapon-pack

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 3

Back again. Had a bit of an issue while fitting the canopy (but it was all of my own making! :banghead:). Anyway, I've covered the mess with masking and I'm hoping that no-one notices. 😆

Subsequently painted the black sections of the scheme and pre-shaded the model while I was at it:

0EgUIOol.jpg

The black sections were masked off and I've applied the first layer of PRU blue to the bottom surfaces.

duiJwRjl.jpg

I'll apply the second coat tomorrow. Once dry, I'll mask these off before applying Dark Sea Grey to the top.

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, mitchem said:

but it was all of my own making!

How many times do we have to tell you to put the 240 grit down & step away from the canopy.....!! :tease:

Paint is coming along nicely Mike, nice scheme too.

Keith

PS - I take it you saw Clive's email about the September comp theme....? :)