F-5E Tiger II, VFC-13 Fighting Saints

Hello,

Here goes another little bird in 72nd

F-5E Tiger II Adversary - VFC-13 Fighting Saints

Fighter Squadron Composite (VFC-13) Saints is a US Navy fighter squadron that provides adversary training for U.S. Navy air wings at NAS Fallon, Nevada. The unit's mix of 23 F-5E, F-5F and F-5N aircraft are all painted in a variety of colorful adversary schemes of blue, gray, or brown camouflage.

Fighter Squadron Composite (VFC-13) Saints is a US Navy fighter squadron that provides adversary training for U.S. Navy air wings at NAS Fallon, Nevada. The unit's mix of 23 F-5E, F-5F, and F-5N aircraft are all painted in a variety of colorful adversary schemes of blue, gray, or brown camouflage.

This HobbyBoss kit was released in 2011 and it is a re-box of an old Trumpeter kit from 1999, but for only $12 Australian dollars is a real bargain!. Average to a bad fit, especially between the wings and the fuselage as well as the air intakes, but overall I'm quite pleased with the final result. As usual, painting with AK Real Colors, Tamiya Acrylics, and weathering with Abteilung 502 oil paints.

Thanks for looking 

Reference photo: 

nhmcPuYh.jpg

EiPGFjl.jpg

MUVhLhf.jpg

KWPsjos.jpg

sNg0gDy.jpg

Oug6uOg.jpg

z46mArt.jpg

RcdJFto.jpg

g53QmqS.jpg

mWfafLn.jpg

OJFkmz1.jpg

Zh7JGSw.jpg

4K2rTKd.jpg

HXOv5Gr.jpg

4rrjc9u.jpg

ibGEyfc.jpg

rC1DDWc.jpg

7SN0Mgf.jpg

uUKgLcg.jpg

h03qFWc.jpg

FAgFb0m.jpg

VOaKx4U.jpg

pDwH0Me.jpg

Cheers

Jorge

Edited by JrivasK
gramma correction
  • Like 52
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

It certainly scrubbed up well.

I took a look at your website, you're a very talented modeller, Jorge.  😎

Thank you! Glad you liked it and thanks too for taking a look at my website 👍😀

3 hours ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

Lovely model very well finished 

thanks for sharing

Eamonn

thanks for looking and for the comment. Happy you liked it. 👍

• Like 1

8 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

Fantastic! Gotta love Aggressors 👍 The Hobbyboss kit in my opinion is a real bargain.

Hi binbrook87, you are absolutely right! At 12$ Australian dollars this kit is a real bargain, so not much to complain about at that price! And yes, aggressor schemes are always so attractive! 

7 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Well done Jorge!!!!!  I would say that it`s perfect when compared to the actual aircraft.  I like it!!! :goodjob:

Mike

Thank you Mike! yeah I think it looks not too different to the reference image I had. And it was quite a fun build and paint overall. I really love this little 1/72 kits! ❤️

3 hours ago, swralph said:

Lovely build Jorge.😀

Thank you very much! happy you liked it. 😉

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

That's a really nice result from the Hobbyboss kit. The camo scheme in particular is beautifully done

Thanks, Vultures1. Yeah, the HobbyBoss kit is certainly not the best. Probably the worst part was the air intakes fuselage junction. But again for $12 it builds pretty well 😉. And I agree, the camo scheme helps a lot!.

2 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Very nice!

Thank you!

2 hours ago, alex said:

Very nicely done. I just find it funny how little of the panel lines are visible on the original, and how most of our models look like! (yes, mine included :D )

Alex

Hi Alex, thanks! Well you may have a point there. But if you look to the first two images you'll see the model does not look too far off the original regarding the panel lines. You have to think also I'm taking a photo of a model less than a meter away were as the real aircraft is been photograph at a much longer distance which makes impossible to see any panel lines. When looking at planes up close, or even from closer photographs you can clearly see the panel lines and in some cases they are very noticeable. Also there is the scale factor issue in the model itself that makes difficult dealing with this sort of things. But, in any case, if I have to choose between doing the paneling and weathering or not to do it (as many people liked) I much prefer doing it! In my opinion the super clean models look like toys and I don't like them. 

Having said all that, I do think I've over emphasised some of the panels and I'm not happy about that (in particular in the tail) . I should've done it maybe with a lighter colour...

anyways, thanks for commenting.

cheers

1 hour ago, IGKent said:

Great result, Jorge! :yes:

Thank you very much! 😀

1 hour ago, Phone Phixer said:

Wow, that is outstanding.

Thanks mate! happy you liked it. It was a fun built! 

Edited by JrivasK

No problem, I also tend to over-emphasise them. I find it very interesting as in your pictues, the sizes of the planes and perspectives are quite similar. And yes, we start to see panel lines, once we get closer to the actual aircraft.

I think the problem is that most kit come with too deep and wide panel lines. Let's assume, the real thing is 2-3mm wide, in scale of 1/72, it should be some 0.03mm, which can hardly be moulded. So, what do we do? Let the panel lines as they are, but no wash? Fill the panel lines, and just re-draw them with a very fine pencil?  hard to say, I tend to do some washings on my models too, as the alternatives are not looking more convincing.

Alex

• Like 1

Another of my favourite A/C, always wonder why the F20 never found favour as an aggressor.

I too thought how clean the original photo looked but, and I know some will want to differ. I always model to a photo so if its really clean and I have to say that first photo seems too clean , then it existed like that so its not wrong.

Its just what some people accept as 'right' and yours defiantly looks right.

Be good if you could get it with the same background as the first photo.👍

3 hours ago, alex said:

No problem, I also tend to over-emphasise them. I find it very interesting as in your pictues, the sizes of the planes and perspectives are quite similar. And yes, we start to see panel lines, once we get closer to the actual aircraft.

I think the problem is that most kit come with too deep and wide panel lines. Let's assume, the real thing is 2-3mm wide, in scale of 1/72, it should be some 0.03mm, which can hardly be moulded. So, what do we do? Let the panel lines as they are, but no wash? Fill the panel lines, and just re-draw them with a very fine pencil?  hard to say, I tend to do some washings on my models too, as the alternatives are not looking more convincing.

Alex

Yeah, I agree. It’s a tricky situation. Sometimes, when in the mood, and if the panel lines are way out of scale I filled them and re-scribe them to something a bit better, but I don’t do that too often. More likely I use a lighter wash colour so it blends better with the rest without been too contrast.

Too me, washed panel lines always looks better than clean ones...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Paulaero said:

Another of my favourite A/C, always wonder why the F20 never found favour as an aggressor.

I too thought how clean the original photo looked but, and I know some will want to differ. I always model to a photo so if its really clean and I have to say that first photo seems too clean , then it existed like that so its not wrong.

Its just what some people accept as 'right' and yours defiantly looks right.

Be good if you could get it with the same background as the first photo.👍

Hi Paulaero, thanks for commenting.

yeah that reference photo looks very clean. But I have many others photos of the same scheme or similar that were much dirty with more distinct panel lines. I put that one at the beginning because of the same perspective/angle of the one of my model photos. 

Seems to me that plane was just painted with that scheme hence looking so clean?

Here some of my other references photos, were the panel lines are much visible:

N7sGCdl.jpg
kxeJtDW.jpg
9z5W099.jpg
Otn5lGO.jpg
u8CiB2y.jpg
b7TuXTY.jpg
oUoEr9j.jpg
a5FdOIB.jpg

cheers

Edited by JrivasK
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Paulaero said:

That's great reference material you have, you can never argue with a picture  do like the sundowners one .....

Yeah, there's so many good photos online on the F-5 and the sundowners one is really a great reference. Amazing aircraft! I may do another...

6 hours ago, billn53 said:

Panel lines or not, your Tiger looks super! Great job on the camo, especially for 1/72. 

Thank you billn53! I really enjoyed this build, the camo was complex but a nice challenge...and no matter how much I try to model in 1/48 I keep coming back to 1/72. Current ratio is 1 to 8.

I just love that scale!

cheers

Edited by JrivasK
  • Like 1