Post War Kiwi Dakota,..... 40/41 Sqn RNZAF,....Cheers Steve! ***FINISHED***

4 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That's a bugger, it looks so good at first glance but I can see the issue with the colour. A real pain. :(

Steve.

I`ll sort it Steve,.... no worries. I am worried about the titles though,..... I`ve nothing in the spares box to fall back on either. 

• Like 1

It probably doesn`t look any different,..... but I`ve painted the cheat line using White Ensign WW2 Dull Roundel Blue,.... and extended the area above the cockpit windows to better match the real aircraft,...... hopefully it will blend in a bit better and appear a little darker under a coat of gloss varnish,.... then I`ll see if I have enough thin yellow edging to put around the blue as the yellow on the decal is a little patchy.  

DSCF0196.jpg

DSCF0198.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 5

Oh wow, what a splendid Dak, great work fella, does look lovely in this scheme.

Hope you can sort the wording decals okay.

I had tge same happen to me last night on my Vampire I ended up putting it back in the water and tried unravelling it but without success. I have the Xtradecal sheet with same text so will be able to sort.  I don't have any yellow letters but if you need any black lettering to paint over and I can help will be happy to send some up. 

Chris

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh wow, what a splendid Dak, great work fella, does look lovely in this scheme.

Hope you can sort the wording decals okay.

I had tge same happen to me last night on my Vampire I ended up putting it back in the water and tried unravelling it but without success. I have the Xtradecal sheet with same text so will be able to sort.  I don't have any yellow letters but if you need any black lettering to paint over and I can help will be happy to send some up. 

Chris

Cheers Chris,..... nightmare when that happens mate,..... hope you can crack on and still get it done! Thanks for the offer but there is no way that I can paint over 1/72nd scale lettering these days,..... my eyes aren`t as good as they were!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Cheers Chris,..... nightmare when that happens mate,..... hope you can crack on and still get it done! Thanks for the offer but there is no way that I can paint over 1/72nd scale lettering these days,..... my eyes aren`t as good as they were!

No worries fella,  I know what you mean, I use an Optivisor for close up or intricate work, absolutely brilliant to use.  I do hate this getting old malarkey though!!!

I have checked the Xtraddcal sheet and luckily I have a match.  

I hope you are able to rescue the lettering too.

Chris

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hiya Folks,...... well after concentrating on the Catalina,..... time to go back to the Dak!!

I must admit that the problems with the decals had knocked me a little,...... but after I`d painted the cheat line last time, well tonight I got on with applying Xredecal yellow stripes to the outside of the cheat line,.... and then add the squadron titles;

DSCF0783.jpg

DSCF0779.jpg

The titles were again not the best,.... and as I only had the 40 Sqn titles left,.... I converted them to 41 Sqn by areplacing the 0 with a section of yellow edging! I might have a go at adding some more yellow lines to the letters,..... and having seen the photos close up I have straightened some of them up;

DSCF0780.jpg

DSCF0781.jpg

So here we are so far,...

DSCF0778.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That is looking much better Tony, well done for coping with the decal woes, a bugger that you had to, but she is looking the part now. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve,.... got a matt coat onto it today (don`t worry, it still looks shiny!) and a bit of weathering done tonight,.... I`ll post pics soon.

• Like 1

Well,..... had a bit of a disaster with this one today!......

Having finished the paint work I decided to spray a coat of rattle can matt varnish onto the model to protect the water colour wash from getting mouldy when I put the model on display in the cellar,.....BUT,..... the varnish left the model covered in hundreds of white flecks!!! The photos below may not show it very well as I`d already had a go at sanding them off,.....

DSCF0803-NEW.jpg

DSCF0812-NEW.jpg

DSCF0807-NEW.jpg

DSCF0809-NEW.jpg

DSCF0804-NEW.jpg

DSCF0805-NEW.jpg

So,.... I`ll sand off what I can and if the paintwork isn`t too damaged,.... we`ll see,..... maybe a coat of Klear floor polish might help too? I have a feeling that this one might end up being repainted into wartime camouflage colours,..... but I`ll try my best to save it Steve,...... bee a bit jinxed this one mate!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Hiya Folks,.... well I managed to sand the model down and remove the worst of the white flecks,..... then gave it a coat of Kleer varnish...... I had to do a bit of rectification work,....and I`m calling it finished;

DSCF0890_NEW.jpg

DSCF0892_NEW.jpg

DSCF0889_NEW.jpg

DSCF0885-NEW.jpg

DSCF0886_NEW.jpg

DSCF0887_NEW.jpg

DSCF0877-NEW.jpg

DSCF0878-NEW.jpg

DSCF0879-NEW.jpg

DSCF0882-NEW.jpg

DSCF0883-NEW.jpg

Thanks again for the decals Steve,.... I`m really glad to have this Dak in my RNZAF collection,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 8

• tonyot changed the title to Post War Kiwi Dakota,..... 40/41 Sqn RNZAF,....Cheers Steve! ***FINISHED***
50 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Good save Tony. :thumbsup:

Thanks CC,.... I hated causing damage to a decent model at the very last stages but there was no other choice really,.... I know where the problems are,.... hopefully they aren`t all so visible!!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Tony that looks awesome mate!  Love the scheme, you really have done her justice. I have a fairly big computer monitor and it looks brilliant from where I am sitting!

Thanks Anthony,.... so glad you like it and it looks OK close up,... shame that it had to have some paint repairs done here and there and it doesn`t look as clean and tidy as I`d have liked,.... ah well. 

43 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

It has come out very handsomely Tony, you did good with it in spite of the hassles you had, I'm disappointed the decals weren't better than that.  :(

Steve.

Thanks Steve,...... so glad you like it mate! Don`t worry about the decals,.... I am so very grateful that you went to the effort and expense of buying them and sending them half way around the world to me,...... and they still formed the basis of the serials and cheat line.... with  bit of help. Shame about the titling,..... but I did sort of suspect this anyway,.... so nothing lost,.... it is a very handsome scheme and I`m very happy indeed to have it in my collection.

Cheers mate

Tony    

• Like 2

On 3/9/2021 at 7:34 PM, tonyot said:

As the air intakes used by these Kiwi Dak`s are not included in the Airfix kit,.... I raided an old Esci Dak for them instead;

Great job on this, Tony!  So that's what those things are in the ESCI kit.  I'll be sure to hold onto them, then.  Alex

• Like 1

Super job and well done saving a tricky situation. I think I need a Dakota in the stash now after looking at the ones you've done recently!

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 1:00 AM, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Great job on this, Tony!  So that's what those things are in the ESCI kit.  I'll be sure to hold onto them, then.  Alex

Thanks Alex,..... yeah always a good idea to hold onto spare bits! Say I with boxes of the flipping things!! 

2 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Super job and well done saving a tricky situation. I think I need a Dakota in the stash now after looking at the ones you've done recently!

:goodjob:

Davey.

Thanks Davey,.... I wouldn`t say I saved it,..... but made the best I could out of it,...... yeah you have to have a few Dak`s in the stash! I bought a few of the Airfix ones when they were being sold off at a tenner each!! 

3 hours ago, tonyot said:

Thanks Alex,..... yeah always a good idea to hold onto spare bits! Say I with boxes of the flipping things!! 

Thanks Davey,.... I wouldn`t say I saved it,..... but made the best I could out of it,...... yeah you have to have a few Dak`s in the stash! I bought a few of the Airfix ones when they were being sold off at a tenner each!! 

Eh?! Where was that? trust me to miss the bargains! I managed to get a couple of cheap Whitley's when Amazon had them discounted.  

Davey.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Eh?! Where was that? trust me to miss the bargains! I managed to get a couple of cheap Whitley's when Amazon had them discounted.  

Davey.

It was a couple of years ago,... they wee selling off the civil DC-3 boxing,..... exactly the same kit as the C-47/ Dakota!  

• Sad 1