Post War Kiwi Dakota,..... 40/41 Sqn RNZAF,....Cheers Steve! ***FINISHED***

Hiya Folks,

Well thanks to a very kind fellow Britmodeller (ta Steve! ) I can now build a Dakota that I have always fancied building,..... a post war 40 or 41 Sqn RNZAF Dakota,.... after he kindly sent me an Oldmodels sheet which features the aircraft with their distinctive fuselage flash. I`ll be using the excellent Airfix Dakota kit;

DSCF9903-NEW.jpg

The parts;

DSCF9904-NEW.jpg

And THAT sheet,..... I`m so chuffed,.... thanks Steve you are a propper star and so very kind;

DSCF9905-NEW.jpg

This is what I`m aiming at;

DAKOTA-NZ3544-41-Transport-Squadron-RNZA

dakota-oldmodedel-decals-in-nz-463-500-c

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 14

• tonyot changed the title to Post War Kiwi Dakota,..... 40/41 Sqn RNZAF,....Cheers Steve!

Did a bit more research tonight and found some great photos on Facebook,......

This scheme with the wartime style roundels is fantastic on NZ3502 and 05 of 40 Sqn ;

Dakota-NZ3505-of-No-40-Squadron-RNZAF-atDakota-NZ3505-of-No-40-Squadron-RNZAF-at

Dakota-NZ3502-at-Whenuapai-on-10-October

But as I intend to build a wartime aircraft at a later stage,.....  I`ll probably stick with this style,........ BUT,..... is it just me,.... or are those fin flashes the wrong way around on NZ3543 with blue leading and red behind? Compare them with the shades of the roundel,....... I`d hate to get it wrong and receive any grief;

Dakota-NZ3543-at-Whenuapai-2.jpg

Dakota-NZ3548-6.jpg

And this style `morphed' into this style;

Dakota-NZ3551-3.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I'm looking forward to seeing this done Tony, no pressure mind. :D

Steve.

Cheers Steve,..... no pressure LOL!! Would you recommend that I add a coat of varnish to the sheet before using it?

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

Would you recommend that I add a coat of varnish to the sheet before using it?

I didn't need to when I used them on my Mosquito a couple of years ago, they went down really well. There are recommendations on the website for these, maybe check them out, but other than cutting them out, I had no problems at all.

Steve.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I didn't need to when I used them on my Mosquito a couple of years ago, they went down really well. There are recommendations on the website for these, maybe check them out, but other than cutting them out, I had no problems at all.

Steve.

Brilliant to hear,.... thanks Steve. With some of the decals feeling rough to touch I wasn`t really sure. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya Folks,.... well as there was no rugby to watch today I made a start on this Dakota,..... beginning with painting the interior using Humbrol 80 Grass Green and then constructing it;

DSCF0016.jpg

DSCF0017.jpg

DSCF0018.jpg

I did construct the wings and tailplanes,.... but the photo for some reason did not come out,.... my camera memory card seems to be playing up! 

The main cabin bucket seats will be fitted tomorrow before the fuselage halves are joined and I`ll try and photograph the wings again!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 9

Another update,......

Here are the wings,.... which I built last night but the photo didn`t come out;

DSCF0028-NEW.jpg

Another view of the interior,.... with the cabin bucket seats and the wing root fairings fitted to the fuselage and the engines ready to fit to the wings;

DSCF0029-NEW.jpg

DSCF0030-NEW.jpg

The fuselage was joined together,..... and it took some wiggling to get them together! 

DSCF0031-NEW.jpg

And the main airframe all together;

DSCF0033-NEW.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 11

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

That's a great scheme Tony, and crikey you don't hang about.   Looks great coming together too. Cracking job.

Chris 

Thanks mate,..... did most of the sanding today,..... put some filler along the spine etc ready to sand again tomorrow and hopefully get some paint on soon. I had an old Italeri kit in the box with it and I`m building that too,..... might go for Tedders overall Azure Blue DC-3 with its airliner style door? Something a bit different?

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

Thanks Fella`s,..... and sorry!!

Here is a bit more of an update,......

Sanding completed;

DSCF0038-NEW.jpg

As the air intakes used by these Kiwi Dak`s are not included in the Airfix kit,.... I raided an old Esci Dak for them instead;

DSCF0040-NEW.jpg

DSCF0042-NEW.jpg

DSCF0039-NEW.jpg

Fudge the dog still isn`t impressed!!! 

DSCF0037-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 11

Hiya Folks,..... another update,.....

Got the silver finish applied thanks to Tamiya`s rattle can Bare Metal Silver;

DSCF0043.jpg

And sa there was an Italeri kit in the box too,.... I`m building that as Dakota Mk.II, (C-53-DO) TJ170 which was the personal aircraft of Air Chief Marshall Tedder after it was gifted to him by the USAAF in May 1944,..... and it should look quite striking in its Powder Blue scheme,..... this scheme was applied because this was the colour of his Alma Mater at Cambridge University! I`ve not joined the fuselage halve yet and need to cut out a window alongside the entrance door, plus add curtains to the windows!

DSCF0044.jpg

Just to show you what I`m aiming for with the second Dak;

dakota-tedder-blue-2.jpg

dakota-tedder-blue-4.jpg

dakota-tedder-door.jpg

dakota-tedder-italy.jpg

dakota-tedderarrivalgraveley.jpg

So I need another set of intakes with the air filter above the engine cowling,.... and note the curtains and pasenger style door.

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 10

10 hours ago, stevehnz said:

The Kiwi bird is looking good Tony, I'm dead keen to see what Tedder's taxi comes up like, a powder Cambridge blue Dak is definitely a bit different. 

Steve.

Thanks Steve,..... the Kiwi Dak may end up looking abit weathered and not as bright and shiny as the real thing,.... but I`m looking forward to using those decals. Yeah Tedders Dak should look different! I was trying to find out whether it wore D-Day stripes but although I found a silver Dakota with stripes,....... it doesn`t look like it wore them, even though it flew into France in July 1944!

Cheers mate,

Tony 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking great with the paint on Tony and second bonus Dak too will look good in the blue scheme.

Great work fella 

Chris

Cheers Chris,..... however,.... I wasn`t happy with the finish and there were a lot of sanding scratch marks visible,..... so I sanded it all down again,.... and I`m suferring for t today!

DSCF0062.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Oh mate I feel for you there,  hope your able to rest a bit and not having to do any more sanding.  It really dies show up in the old Ally/silver paint.  I am sure it will look all the more stunning when painted  again. 

Chris

• Like 1

Just now, bigbadbadge said:

Oh mate I feel for you there,  hope your able to rest a bit and not having to do any more sanding.  It really dies show up in the old Ally/silver paint.  I am sure it will look all the more stunning when painted  again. 

Chris

Cheers pal,.... yeah hope so! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I`ve had a bit of bother straying the silver for this one,.... but after sanding it off again a few times,...... hopefully it is OK now! With that,.... I`ve been trying to match a blue paint for the ant glare panel and cockpit windows to the blue of the cheat line and hopefully this is it,..... seen after the second coat;

DSCF0176.jpg 

I Have also replaced the roundels and fin flashes from the decal sheet as they appeared to be a bit too small,.... using Xtradecal RAF C1/Ctypes instead.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 8

Another update,.... got the decals on,....... I opted for NZ3546 which was used to support the 14 Sqn Corsair `s based in Japan on occupation duties and I found a photo of it bearing a New Zealand flag on its nose,....... and as I had one of these on a DK Decals Catalina sheet,..... I used that;

DSCF0192.jpg

DSCF0193.jpg

The blue of the cheatline seemed a bit light compared to the blue of the roundels so I`m unsure whether to go over it with wartime dull blue? If I do have a go at this, I could also add the section of blue which edges up uver the cockpit windows which the decals have missed. Due to this I removed the yellow squadron id titles intending to save them and apply them later,...... but having removed them safely they stuck to my fingers and were mostly spoiled! To be fair,.... they were quite blurred and out of sync with the white underlying layer,..... sorry Steve. There are a set of 42 Sqn titles so I`ll see if they are any better and if I can find enough surviving decal to fashion a number 1! I may also try and edge the cheat line with yellow?

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 6