USS YMS 280 / BYMS2280 / INS Verbena Scratchbuilt in 1/144

seacon

Transom done for now.

brit-transom.jpg

The galley is painted and the deck fitted. This will require some adjustment. Right now I want the sturdiest hull possible.

brit-ponte.jpg

Look! ... a boiler!!! A couple of friend are getting curious about my simple-tools-and-some-plastic project. Stefano had to paint the galley. I do not know the exact colors so I went for a mix of US and Italian blue for floors, wood refrigerator door, steel boiler and black and steel range. You cannot see that but there are two large pots of pasta cooking.

brit-ponte-2.jpg

With all this firmly glued together, it's about gunwhale time ...

Ciao

M

• Like 3

Small stuff that will need to be placed on deck before the gunwhales will go on... I prepared the bollards and other details masters.  Someone among my model club buddies will make a few copies in resin.    

britmodeller-95.jpg

ciao

M

Edited by seacon
mistakes
  • Like 4

I am cutting these to get some proportion and test my circle-cutter. The magnetic sweeping cable reel is one of the more notable features of the BYMS. It woud be nice to see some very detailed photos to understand how the reel were made.

britmodeller-995.jpg

A quick search on the web provided just one close up. Can anyone else help with that?

333.jpg

Ciao

M

• Like 1

Now, this might be interesting to some. Having to deal with the bow issue I described earlier, I  have been looking for a type of putty/filler that would stick to styrene, easy to sand and work well when applied in fairly large amounts. There is a car bodyshop right in front of where I live.  Walking home after work, one day, I saw one of the chaps working there slapping a layer of this putty on a car, shape it with a spatula, let it dry just a couple of minutes and sand it to shape without much effort shortly after. That got me curious so I walked in and ask if he thought that it could work to fix my minesweeper hull. He said 'bring it in, let's take a look' and after about an hour I did not have a hull problem anymore. This is an industrial grade car repair two-component filler very similar to the old and stinking polyester putties that used to be around. Sands very smooth, is kind of flexible and hangs well on plastic.

Here are the results:

7-A4-E244-A-0-EC4-4-F41-9-AD1-67-CDA0787

321-EC71-A-147-D-490-E-9-C2-A-010-BB7529

86090-A06-49-D8-42-F6-B5-AE-65-D5-BE7-E9

Edited by seacon
  • Like 5

I partially installed both gunwhales to see if I could obtain a seamless contour. Another experiment that might work...

144-A77-FF-3-F14-47-F9-B003-BE3-F8463270

8-EC6837-F-41-DF-4-CCB-A912-9-CAE149-D4-

Later I will bend the gunwhales to shape and CA glue them to a couple of brass rods, I am planning to install the rods drilling from above the forecastle into the main deck to provide a strong support (the plasticard gunwhale will have to bend and keep the shape).

more later...

Ciao

M

• Like 4

Quite a few people were interested in knowing the name and brand of the putty I mentioned earlier in the thread. Here it is. I do not know anything about availability of this product outside Italy. Enjoy! 

IMG-4394.jpg

ciao

M

• Like 1

Dear "M"

Lovely job, following this with great interest, she looks a fascinating subject, amazing what a few sheets of styrene can turn into, and you really are racing ahead on this, (love the galley !!).

I must confess to feeling slightly jealous that you already have something that looks like a ship, skinning the outside of my project is still some way in the dim and distant future, 

Cheers

David

I have a couple of recomendations -

First I would screw or bolt the hull to a board to prevent warping as cement dries.

Second when skinning a hull in plastic card I would use several layers of 20thou(0.5mm) card rather than a single thicker sheet. This is beacuse it is easier to fold over the ribs and produces a stronger hull as the plastic is less stressed. In addition webs between different deck levels and top deck bulwarks can be cut into the outermost layer before applying it to the hull.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Niall said:

I have a couple of recomendations -

First I would screw or bolt the hull to a board to prevent warping as cement dries.

Second when skinning a hull in plastic card I would use several layers of 20thou(0.5mm) card rather than a single thicker sheet. This is beacuse it is easier to fold over the ribs and produces a stronger hull as the plastic is less stressed. In addition webs between different deck levels and top deck bulwarks can be cut into the outermost layer before applying it to the hull.

Interesting. Thank you! I will definitely consider that. I am building on a whim so I did not spend much time thinking about engineering the hull shell. I normally carve whatever material I am using and do not do much "plating".

Rgds

Marcello

On 02/03/2021 at 10:16, Dancona said:

Dear "M"

Lovely job, following this with great interest, she looks a fascinating subject, amazing what a few sheets of styrene can turn into, and you really are racing ahead on this, (love the galley !!).

I must confess to feeling slightly jealous that you already have something that looks like a ship, skinning the outside of my project is still some way in the dim and distant future, 

Cheers

David

I am good at starting. Finishing a project is a completely different matter!!! I might do an open wheelhouse as well. The galley is too dark to be a significant feature of this build.

Thanks for following my build.

Marcello

• 2 months later...

Hi - Just read this through - not certain how I missed it before.

Super work - I love the look of these boats, I have 2 in 1/350, You are doing a marvellouos job :clap2:

Hope to see more of this soon

Rob