Possible Airfix 1/72 Avro Lincoln

T-21

10 hours ago, Killingholme said:

I very much doubt Airfix would have you cutting up whole fuselages and wing parts to stretch a Lancaster into a Lincoln- they don't tend to go down that "conversion kit" route. 

Has anyone offered up the Airfix Shackleton wings to their Lancaster fuselage?

AVROs didn't like wasting tooling (my grandfather modified Manchester wing jigs into those for the Lancaster).  The Shackleton's wings were those from the Lincoln but with Griffon engines replacing Merlins. The same basic wing structure was also used by Armstrong Whitworth on the Argosy. 

• Thanks 1

You've then got to buy the correct tailfins, new engines - unless you're doing the proposed Griffon Lincoln - on top of the donor Shackleton, much of which is simply going in the spares bin*.  Pennies add up at the rate where it would be simply cheaper to buy the conversion kit.

*And I'm saying that as someone who bought cheap Revell ones to use as donors for Tudors.   I did think about using the Frog Shack wing with the Sanger Lincoln fuselage to do the proposed Griffon Lincoln.

43 minutes ago, IanC said:

I'd welcome both but doubt we'll see either. I'd have thought a re-tooled B-24 or B-29 would make more commercial sense, if they're planning a new 'heavy'. Or indeed a Halifax, as previously mentioned. 

Perhaps but any potential B-24, B-29 or Hafilax would have commercial opposition, so Airfix would be competing for market share but would have all the potential pie for any Lincoln.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aeronut said:

Has anyone offered up the Airfix Shackleton wings to their Lancaster fuselage?

AVROs didn't like wasting tooling (my grandfather modified Manchester wing jigs into those for the Lancaster).  The Shackleton's wings were those from the Lincoln but with Griffon engines replacing Merlins. The same basic wing structure was also used by Armstrong Whitworth on the Argosy. 

didn't the Lincoln have a longer fuselage as well? 

55 minutes ago, The wooksta V2.0 said:

Perhaps but any potential B-24, B-29 or Hafilax would have commercial opposition, so Airfix would be competing for market share but would have all the potential pie for any Lincoln.

Just like they now have with the Vulcan, Valiant and Victor. 

Until someone comes along with a range of 1/72 Mk1 v bomber super detailed kits with tons configurations possible and...... yeah no that's not going to happen but I can dream. 

probably a little off topic, but I wonder what Airfix's next smaller 1/72 cold war jet will be. We've had Phantoms, Buccaneers and MiG17s in the last few years.

I'm thinking a Javelin as it needs a new kit desperately and I think it would sell fairly well. A Sea Vixen I find to be another likely candidate. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, The wooksta V2.0 said:

Yes, but wouldn't a B-24, for example, given its extensive service, still be more commercially viable than a Lincoln, despite sharing the market? And having it to yourself is no guarantee of success. I'm not sure the Nimrod was a bestseller. 

Anyway, we all realise it's a long shot, wonderful though it would be to see! They're good at keeping us speculating, which is one of the pleasures of this hobby. 😀

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

probably a little off topic, but I wonder what Airfix's next smaller 1/72 cold war jet will be. We've had Phantoms, Buccaneers and MiG17s in the last few years.

I'm thinking a Javelin as it needs a new kit desperately and I think it would sell fairly well. A Sea Vixen I find to be another likely candidate. 

I see an element of personal preference here: "I know it would sell ...."

How about the much requested Venom, or re tooled Sea Hawk?  Both served with forces outside UK.

22 minutes ago, Denford said:

I see an element of personal preference here: "I know it would sell ...."

How about the much requested Venom, or re tooled Sea Hawk?  Both served with forces outside UK.

Yes Venom would be high on the list, but Airfix have just done their 1/48 Vampire and have a good 1/72 Vampire, how many people really know the difference. That said, the new Tempest after their modern Typhoon kit contradicts the same logic. I wonder which variant they'd go for if they did a 1/72 Venom. 

Sea Hawk also up there, the folding wings would be a decent selling point for it. They're a little smaller so perhaps would fit in around the £15-£20 range rather than the £25 they could easily charge for a new sea vixen or Javelin.

Of course there's the possibility of further Soviet aircraft following on from the MiG17. I don't know what needs kits there, but I suspect some of them are popular enough for multiple good kits (MiG21, MiG15)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Of course there's the possibility of further Soviet aircraft following on from the MiG17. I don't know what needs kits there, but I suspect some of them are popular enough for multiple good kits (MiG21, MiG15)

For both MiGs we have excellent kits from Eduard - I'm not sure, what would be the selling point for Airfix.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ptarmigan said:

For both MiGs we have excellent kits from Eduard - I'm not sure, what would be the selling point for Airfix.

We have much nicer Spitfires, but airfix still do some of the same ones as other manufacturers have covered. I think some of the MiGs might be popular enough to sell regardless, not quite as much as a spit but like that. I’m not hugely into the MiGs but I’d like one, and I do see quite a few built

But they have to be widely distributed, well known etc to the people who are likely to buy them.

This is fine for Eduard (with its neighbors) based in the former WarPac region, but not so good for the UK and NATO/English speaking areas where I suspect most of Airfix's sales are.

Ask yourself, from Airfix, which would sell more: a (retooled) Seahawk or a MiG 19?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beermonster1958 said:

You could probably say the same about the Eduard kits.

I don't see that the fact that Eduard produces MiGs as having any relevance in this instance.

No, not really. If your new kit is in some sense better (quality, price, variant) than those already available on the market, than it makes more sense to produce it. Not having any such advantage is always detrimental to sales. What I wanted to say is that there are possibly other types which can make more money for Airfix than MiGs 15 and 21. This was the case with MiG-17, where there weren't any modern kits before Airfix produced one. But of course, I may be completely wrong 🙂  For example I do not know what is the world-wide availability (and price) of Eduard kits. I can get easily both and Eduard Weekend kits are only few pounds more expensive than Airfix 😎

Depends, the Seahawk was in their catalogue for a very long time and as mentioned about a new tool with a wing fold might be just the ticket although by way of balance it has competition from Hobbyboss and MPM/SH.

I was surprised that they issued the Chippie in 1/48 from the outset I expected a 1/72 version (its tiny so not that expensive to tool) a la Tiger Moth first to test the market then a possible upscale.

As previously noted they don’t seem to downscale so sadly no new tool 1/72 Chippie likely in a red box any time soon. That said if they sell a shedload rules are there to be broken....

TT

There was a 1/72 Chipmunk once, now presumably out of production.  Unlikely to re-appear soon so as not to 'steal the thunder' ....thunder from a Chipmunk you might ask.

Maybe you could pick one up 2nd hand.  In a polythene bag as I recall.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The wooksta V2.0 said:

There's more chance of me in the striker role for Barcelona thanks the appearing as a kit.

Jurgen Klopp enters the discussion

:crying:

Trevor

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, The wooksta V2.0 said:

There's more chance of me in the striker role for Barcelona thanks the appearing as a kit.

Well it depends have you been training during lockdown or just eating shedloads of Jaffa cakes like the rest of us?

• Haha 2

Reverting to the original topic!

As alternatives to the Lincoln, very much in third place after a new Halifax (though my first choice) would be a PB4Y-2 Privateer.

• Like 3

On 05/03/2021 at 16:29, Max Headroom said:

This is the Lincoln variant I want......

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled/Avro-694-Lincoln-Freighter/1782750

Trevor

oh those! Did they even ever actually fly like that, or was the project scrapped before they flew?