Possible Airfix 1/72 Avro Lincoln

T-21

It doesn't seem very difficult to modify existing Lancaster tooling to make an Avro 694. Airfix or Revell could do it.  Even a klunkz like me managed to adapt Revell's old Lancaster (1963 tooling) to become a Lincoln (without any aftermarket parts, just pieces of plastic).

Linc-1.jpg

Linc-3.jpg

• Like 7

I’m doing my bit to make this happen. I’ve recently got two Airfix Bii and two Blackbird conversions.  Just need two Red Roo updates and then Airfix will announce this as a surprise for this year. 😳🤣

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

It would actually make more sense to start from scratch as most parts need modifying/replacing

New outer wings

New nose and front tureet

New tail turret

New mid upper turret

New engines, nacelles and props

New rear fuselage

New wheels

New rudders 

• Like 5

On 7/13/2022 at 7:11 PM, Mr T said:

It would actually make more sense to start from scratch as most parts need modifying/replacing

New outer wings

New nose and front tureet

New tail turret

New mid upper turret

New engines, nacelles and props

New rear fuselage

New wheels

New rudders 

Yes, but apart from that there's not much else that needs changing. 😀  

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, but that was the Australian-built version, we want the British version! Plus, that kit had big rivets all over it, and the clear parts were too thick.

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 7/12/2022 at 3:28 PM, Convair said:

It doesn't seem very difficult to modify existing Lancaster tooling to make an Avro 694.

It would just need a new fuselage, wings, engine nacelles and props, tail surfaces, etc …

Is the main cockpit greenhouse the same? Might be able to reuse that …

• Haha 4

On 3/5/2021 at 4:08 PM, Denford said:

(though my first choice) would be a PB4Y-2 Privateer.

There were over 700 Privateers built and they served in the armed forces of several countries so that makes them more than three times more numerous than the Avro Shackleton, which only served with the RAF and SAAF. Revell and Airfix both have released kits of the Shackleton within the last several years. The Shackleton does have the advantage of longevity over the Privateer however (excluding those Privateers converted to firefighting duty).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cmatthewbacon said:

A couple of Lancaster kits and a Shackleton, and Bob’s your uncle…

best,

M.

I always wondered about the origin of that phrase. It’s not at all what I expected:

”In 1887, British Prime Minister Robert Gascoyne-Cecil appointed his nephew Arthur James Balfour as Minister for Ireland. The phrase 'Bob's your uncle' was coined when Arthur referred to the Prime Minister as 'Uncle Bob'. Apparently, it's very simple to become a minister when Bob's your uncle!”

https://www.ecenglish.com/learnenglish/lessons/why-do-we-say-bobs-your-uncle

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:
On 12/07/2022 at 16:28, Convair said:

It doesn't seem very difficult to modify existing Lancaster tooling to make an Avro 694.

It would just need a new fuselage, wings, engine nacelles and props, tail surfaces, etc …

Is the main cockpit greenhouse the same? Might be able to reuse that …

😉 Exactly. I, who am not even a kit manufacturer, did it. Imagine what a professional, established manufacturer like Revell or Airfix could do.

Edited by Convair

15 hours ago, Convair said:

😉 Exactly. I, who am not even a kit manufacturer, did it. Imagine what a professional, established manufacturer like Revell or Airfix could do.

So you're suggesting that Airfix or Revell should modify an existing tool of a very famous subject into a much lesser known and hence potentially less profitable one? So spend money to end with a tool of dubious value and lose one guaranteed to make money.. for some reason I can't see that happen...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Convair said:

Exactly. I, who am not even a kit manufacturer, did it.

On a serious note (unlike my other posts) there is a huge difference between modifying a plastic kit and modifying steel tooling. What you are suggesting is completely impracticable. However, making new tooling is becoming cheaper so the chances of new kits is not as limited by tooling costs as it used to be.

On 7/13/2022 at 7:36 AM, Cammer625 said:

I’m doing my bit to make this happen. I’ve recently got two Airfix Bii and two Blackbird conversions.  Just need two Red Roo updates and then Airfix will announce this as a surprise for this year. 😳🤣

You have to make them first for that to happen! Still a couple in stock at time of writing.

https://www.redroomodels.com/product/gaf-avro-raaf-lincoln-enhancement-set-1-72-scale/

• Like 2
  • Haha 1