Possible Airfix 1/72 Avro Lincoln

T-21

Comet C2 Comet C2 Comet C2!

Yeah I'm not that convinced Airfix will do a Lincoln- it would be at least as odd/left-field a choice as the Swift and cost about 3 times as much so less demand and fewer units shifted...

• Like 1

Well that's the joke, isn't it! Everyone has their obscure hobbyhorse they are convinced is the next big moneymaker. I fear Vulcan B1s, Lincolns and Comets all fall into that category...

I shall stare glumly some more at my Mach 2 Comet...

1 hour ago, Vulcanicity said:

Well that's the joke, isn't it! Everyone has their obscure hobbyhorse they are convinced is the next big moneymaker. I fear Vulcan B1s, Lincolns and Comets all fall into that category...

I shall stare glumly some more at my Mach 2 Comet...

I could see someone doing a 1/144 Comet, but doubt we'll see anything mainstream in 1/72 any time soon

And I do wonder how much what variant a model is matters to most people. Obviously for us grumpy lot it does, but the average person doesn't know the difference between a Meteor NF12 and Meteor NF14 (well nor do I because Meteors aren't my thing, I just know Newark's got the last NF12). I suspect to most a Meteor is a Meteor, a Vulcan is a Vulcan, a Comet is a Comet, a Do215 is a Do17, a Lincoln is a Lancaster and a Venom is a Vampire.

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 5

46 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Obviously for us grumpy lot it does, but the average person doesn't know the difference between a Meteor NF12 and Meteor NF14 (well nor do I because Meteors aren't my thing, I just know Newark's got the last NF12)

In many respects the Meteor NF. 12 and 14 are identical, the most obvious difference between the two is that the latter has a nice two-piece sliding canopy married to a new, steeper, windscreen instead of the heavily framed, sideways-hinged coffin lid of the former.  I believe that Newark also has an NF. 14 so, if you can get there post-lockdown, you can compare and enjoy both (the NF. 12 was in Hangar 2 and the NF. 14 outside near the cafe the last time I was there).

51 minutes ago, stever219 said:

In many respects the Meteor NF. 12 and 14 are identical, the most obvious difference between the two is that the latter has a nice two-piece sliding canopy married to a new, steeper, windscreen instead of the heavily framed, sideways-hinged coffin lid of the former.  I believe that Newark also has an NF. 14 so, if you can get there post-lockdown, you can compare and enjoy both (the NF. 12 was in Hangar 2 and the NF. 14 outside near the cafe the last time I was there).

Quite a lot of Meteors there, can't wait to get back. Didn't manage to get good photos of VZ608, so there's a good reason to return. Also hope they can open up the interiors in the summer.

IMG_20200728_120611035~2

IMG_20200728_120409748~3

IMG_20200728_122213877_HDR~3

IMG_20200728_123043476_HDR~2

IMG_20200728_104417895_HDR~2

IMG_20200728_115944067_HDR~2

• Like 5

The Lincoln is an interesting aircraft, and Airfix have a proven affinity for A.V.Roe & Co. products.

I think it is as likely/unlikely/obscure as the Javelin, which sold well.

A lot of people will buy a kit that is fantastically engineered even if it isn't their core subject.  Add into that the fact the Lincoln was used by some overseas operators and you have a sort of business case.

My preference would be to see Airfix continue to put out British products that no-one else (mainstream) is doing, they are to be applauded for this.  I also want to see Airfix stay in business, and if that means they don't make my *insert pet project here* next year I can cope.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Quite a lot of Meteors there, can't wait to get back. Didn't manage to get good photos of VZ608, so there's a good reason to return. Also hope they can open up the interiors in the summer.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if they could do a "Meteor Special" weekend with all of their Meteors parked together in a photo graphically-conducive arrangement?

• Like 2

I think the only note of caution with the Lincoln is how well their Shackleton sold. Its a big/complex model to tool and I guess more expensive to take a punt on than a single seat fighter. That said perhaps part of the sales impact of the Shack is that Revell stole the march by issuing a new tool at the same time and releasing the mark that people seemed to want most -  the AEW.

We are overdue a 'flagship' or 'large' release though...

TT

• Like 1

Using the OPs logic that having someone from Airfix sit in the Lincoln cockpit at Cosford we can now expect a new Puma, Alloutte III, Wessex, Short 330, Seahawk, Scout and Canberra as those are a few of the airframes the Airfix team looked over, sat in etc when scanning and nspecting the Ulster Aviation Society Buccaneer 😂

Edited by sniperUK
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Sea Kings have done well.

Maybe a Lynx and Wessex?

The 1/72 Ark Royal's Last Cruise deck wouldn't be complete without the plane guard Wessex and a couple of HU.5's.

3 hours ago, The wooksta V2.0 said:

I'd point you to the Revell one but someone would just whinge "that it doesn't make money for Airfix"

a) The Revell one has serious accuracy issues.

b) The Airfix mold is very old.  In particular the clear parts are very poor.

As much as I might like to see a Lincoln I recognise it’s not the sexiest of subjects. No wartime history, obsolescent when put into service, an interim type and while beauty is in the eye of the beholder let’s be honest it’s a bit plain looking (ugly is an unpleasant word :D). 

Still not stopped me getting a Paragon conversion in 1/48 for one day when it’s raining though

I can’t see the bean counters thinking they will sell a shed load of them. I suspect the  Manchester would be a better bet. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

I think the only note of caution with the Lincoln is how well their Shackleton sold. Its a big/complex model to tool and I guess more expensive to take a punt on than a single seat fighter. That said perhaps part of the sales impact of the Shack is that Revell stole the march by issuing a new tool at the same time and releasing the mark that people seemed to want most -  the AEW.

We are overdue a 'flagship' or 'large' release though...

TT

it's sold well enough to be in their range still with a second box, but I did choose the Revell one when I bought a Shackleton, should be my next big build if the Vulcan is delayed again. 

At a guess, I would say a Lincoln would outsell a Shackleton due to its more obvious Lancaster heritage. It would also bridge the gap between people who primarily build ww2 stuff and people who primarily build cold war stuff. 

On the other hand though, personally I will be looking for a second Shackleton (I want a tricycle gear example) but would be content with one Lincoln. If they did the civil Lincoln though, I'd need another. 

7 hours ago, Denford said:

Without going too much off-thread, wouldn't a new Halifax be a better choice than a Lincoln?

Almost certainly, and another I'd like to build. I'd be more happy with a Lincoln though simply because there is no kit, and you can at least build something that looks like Halifax from either the old Airfix or flawed Revell kit with relative ease

• Like 3

Wouldn't Airfix have accounted for a future Lincoln (or Manchester for that matter) when they tooled up their Lancaster? The absence of any Lincoln-shaped clues hidden in the layout and breakdown of the Lancaster moulds probably suggests that no other variants were considered (beyond the radial B.II), no? I very much doubt Airfix would have you cutting up whole fuselages and wing parts to stretch a Lancaster into a Lincoln- they don't tend to go down that "conversion kit" route. And that only leaves investing in entirely new tools to produce a kit of an aircraft that to a lot of more casual hobbyists is just a slightly more gangly Lancaster!

Will

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Killingholme said:

Wouldn't Airfix have accounted for a future Lincoln (or Manchester for that matter) when they tooled up their Lancaster? The absence of any Lincoln-shaped clues hidden in the layout and breakdown of the Lancaster moulds probably suggests that no other variants were considered (beyond the radial B.II), no? I very much doubt Airfix would have you cutting up whole fuselages and wing parts to stretch a Lancaster into a Lincoln- they don't tend to go down that "conversion kit" route. And that only leaves investing in entirely new tools to produce a kit of an aircraft that to a lot of more casual hobbyists is just a slightly more gangly Lancaster!

Will

perhaps if they planned to do a Lincoln there concluded the Lincoln has so many differences that they would just start with a new tool for it.

On 3/3/2021 at 9:26 PM, JohnT said:

As much as I might like to see a Lincoln...

..I can’t see the bean counters thinking they will sell a shed load of them. I suspect the  Manchester would be a better bet. 

I'd welcome both but doubt we'll see either. I'd have thought a re-tooled B-24 or B-29 would make more commercial sense, if they're planning a new 'heavy'. Or indeed a Halifax, as previously mentioned. 

• Like 2